• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Well, nobody I know working for WBS will tell me anything. Everyone says they don't know. So either they don't know, or they do know and won't tell me because it's true and they don't need me blabbing. Or because they do know and it's not true and they don't want to tell me.

Either way, I'm not helpful.

Edited by ubkev

Well, nobody I know working for WBS will tell me anything. Everyone says they don't know. So either they don't know, or they do know and won't tell me because it's true and they don't need me blabbing. Or because they do know and it's not true and they don't want to tell me.

Either way, I'm not helpful.

Some words need not be spoken :nana:

I've been on vacation the past 10 days and have been somewhat out of the loop so forgive me if this has already been discussed:

In Pegula's presser after canning Whaley & the scouting staff, he said he waited until after the draft because that was the end of their "cycle" and their work for the  year was essentially complete. This made me scratch my head because why would he fire his entire hockey staff 2 months leading up to the draft? Did he have that little faith in Murray and his team? Does he believe a new GM will be able to put together a staff, a draft plan and preferably have a coach in now t-minus 53 days?

I understand we're dealing with two different organizations/sports but I can't imagine the process of scouting and drafting can be that drastically different.

All these moves come off as Pegula acting like a gunslinger, shoot first, ask questions second. While I agree that these moves had to be made the timing seems very rash and I have very little faith in the immediate future for both teams.

I have absolutely zero opinion on who they should bring in as I follow sports to that level of detail. Whomever it is, please, pleeeaseeee take us to the playoffs.

Update from JW

http://www.tribtown.com/2017/05/01/hkn-sabres-search/

No final decision has been made and the first round of interviews is not done.

Six total including Guerin, Botteril, Futa, Fitzgerald, Zito and Fenton.

Dubas has not been interviewed.

I'm genuinely amazed Lombardi and Maciver aren't on that list. Those two names fit what many on here thought​ Pegula is all about. Maybe the Pegula narrative is all wrong after all Edited by WildCard

I've been on vacation the past 10 days and have been somewhat out of the loop so forgive me if this has already been discussed:

In Pegula's presser after canning Whaley & the scouting staff, he said he waited until after the draft because that was the end of their "cycle" and their work for the year was essentially complete. This made me scratch my head because why would he fire his entire hockey staff 2 months leading up to the draft? Did he have that little faith in Murray and his team? Does he believe a new GM will be able to put together a staff, a draft plan and preferably have a coach in now t-minus 53 days?

I understand we're dealing with two different organizations/sports but I can't imagine the process of scouting and drafting can be that drastically different.

All these moves come off as Pegula acting like a gunslinger, shoot first, ask questions second. While I agree that these moves had to be made the timing seems very rash and I have very little faith in the immediate future for both teams.

I have absolutely zero opinion on who they should bring in as I follow sports to that level of detail. Whomever it is, please, pleeeaseeee take us to the playoffs.

The amateur scouting staff has not been fired in Buffalo, just their boss. Their reports will be taken to their new boss - who will likely have opinions and info of his own formed in his current spot - and those reports will form the basis of the final overall draft ranking that typically happens around May and June, and should happen as usual, except with a new guy in charge. Jeff Crisp, one of the leads in the process is still here. As is Kevin Devine, who used to oversee the process prior to Murray's arrival. Edited by dudacek

I'm genuinely amazed Lombardi and Maciver aren't on that list. Those two names fit what many on here thought​ Pegula is all about. Maybe the Pegula narrative is all wrong after all

Who ever he hires you'll get it to fit the narrative. :P

The amateur scouting staff has not been fired in Buffalo, just their boss. Their reports will be taken to their new boss - who will likely have opinions and info of his own formed in his current spot - and those reports will form the basis of the final overall draft ranking that typically happens around May and June, and should happen as usual, except with a new guy in charge. Jeff Crisp, one of the leads in the process is still here. As is Kevin Devine, who used to oversee the process prior to Murray's arrival.

My guess is they'll be fired too right after the draft. For some reason, Pegula wanted GMTM out of the building immediately.

Since it doesn't appear that Dubas will be joining the ranks of the Sabres Management, I have decided that hiring The Soo Greyhounds current GM Kyle Raftis as a AGM is the next logical move. This article explains why.

https://theathletic.com/41723/2017/04/29/the-kyle-dubas-model-how-a-pair-of-20-something-gms-helped-set-junior-hockeys-innovative-standard/

Edited by BRAWNDO

Since it doesn't appear that Dubas will be joining the ranks of the Sabres Management, I have decided that hiring The Soo Greyhounds current GM Kyle Raftis as a AGM. This article explains why.

https://theathletic.com/41723/2017/04/29/the-kyle-dubas-model-how-a-pair-of-20-something-gms-helped-set-junior-hockeys-innovative-standard/

I can't keep getting my hopes up with these reads.

Nobody knows anything. Though I do find it amusing how many media people are tripping over themselves to "inform" on hopes they can pat themselves on the back later.

It really is that and agents of GM's pushing their client. Get names out there for next time. There's been like, no real "reporting" on this besides maybe Warrow.

The amateur scouting staff has not been fired in Buffalo, just their boss. Their reports will be taken to their new boss - who will likely have opinions and info of his own formed in his current spot - and those reports will form the basis of the final overall draft ranking that typically happens around May and June, and should happen as usual, except with a new guy in charge. Jeff Crisp, one of the leads in the process is still here. As is Kevin Devine, who used to oversee the process prior to Murray's arrival.

Thanks for that info.

Nobody knows anything. Though I do find it amusing how many media people are tripping over themselves to "inform" on hopes they can pat themselves on the back later.

I wish I could stick my Buffalo sports interests head into the sand from now until say...September so I could avoid all the rampant speculation but I won't.

People keep saying TP doesn't know what he is doing, but look at who he has interviewed and who he hasn't

He has interviewed Fenton, Botterill and Zito.  These are 3 excellent candidates.  Would any of us complain if TP hires one of these 3?  I certainly won't (at least initially).

He hasn't interviewed Lombardi.  An excellent candidate with 2 Cups, but also one with some large question marks because of style of play, and salary management.  

So he wanted to interview Drury.  We don't know for what position and even it was for "GM" we don't know if it was just to talk or if TP also planned on hiring a President to oversee the rookie GM.  However Drury, like him or not, is an intriguing candidate.  He changed the organization when he arrived, taught the guys how to win, is smart, has become well respected in management circles in a short period while also understanding modern NHL hockey.  He just needs more experience and he'll be at the top of the lists and soon.

Not interviewing Lombardi would seem to be on True's expectation of the Richards & Voynov sagas not sitting well w/ the owners.

What the hell would we have to talk/argue about if they didn't ;)