• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

To me it's about individual greatness vs team oriented greatness.

Ovechkin is a great individual player, but when I watch him play and compare him to a Crosby or Toews, he just doesn't do enough of the little things consistently enough to earn the right to be called a Champion.

More hmmm.

I'll hafta give that some thought.

In any case, the initial point about culture remains.

You don't install a winning culture, thereby become good/great players and a good/great team, and then win.

You win because you are good/great players on a good/great team, and thereby create a winning culture.

To me it's about individual greatness vs team oriented greatness.

Ovechkin is a great individual player, but when I watch him play and compare him to a Crosby or Toews, he just doesn't do enough of the little things consistently enough to earn the right to be called a Champion.

He's also a winger, and that contributes. Centres are asked to have much more of an impact, just the way the pro game is. It's why Laine was never truly a consideration to be picked over Matthews for Toronto.

It's not that simple. Most good players want to be great... but there's a difference being be a great player and being part of winning culture.

You can be a great player without doing the little things it takes to win... relentless back check, blocking shots, sacrificing your body in every way imaginable just to win a game. Getting out of your comfort zone to contribute in ways that you aren't necessarily expected to.

When winning at all costs becomes the singular focus of the locker room, then you'll start to win consistently. However, as long as there are a few guys who aren't willing to do those little things... guys who only care about being in the league, collecting a paycheck, and putting up stats, then the team will not have consistent success.

It's more of a mindset than anything... when you take the ice, is your focus on protecting your spot on the team or on the scoreboard.

Man, Pat Kane isn't any of these things. People desperately want all of this cliché stuff to be true, and I just don't think it is. At least not in the general sense you put forth here. Some guys need it because they don't have the raw talent otherwise, but offensive stars just have to do what they do. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Man, Pat Kane isn't any of these things. People desperately want all of this cliché stuff to be true, and I just don't think it is. At least not in the general sense you put forth here. Some guys need it because they don't have the raw talent otherwise, but offensive stars just have to do what they do.

Pat Kane doesn't you're correct. Great talent.

Man, Pat Kane isn't any of these things. People desperately want all of this cliché stuff to be true, and I just don't think it is. At least not in the general sense you put forth here. Some guys need it because they don't have the raw talent otherwise, but offensive stars just have to do what they do.

It's a team game. Your best player doesn't have to be doing these things, but someone has to. It takes a collection of players where the sum is greater than its parts.

Consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are).

In atleast one of those universes game 7 of the WSH/PIT series never ends... ever.   

Perhaps we live in that universe.

Consider there are infinite parallel universes (there are).

In atleast one of those universes game 7 of the WSH/PIT series never ends... ever.   

Perhaps we live in that universe.

I wonder if there is a universe where the Bills won even one of those 4 Superbowls?  Nah.... can't believe it - in every alternate reality they lose them in unique, and ever more heartbreaking, fashion.  

Buffalo is the nexus of the negative realities that binds them all together.  

Edited by Jsixspd

I wonder if there is a universe where the Bills won even one of those 4 Superbowls?  Nah.... can't believe it - in every alternate reality they lose them in unique, and ever more heartbreaking, fashion.  

So the question then is, is this best of all possible worlds, or the worst of all possible worlds? Both are depressing in their own, fun, way!

There are some impoverished villages in Africa that think we won 4 superbowls. On the other hand, those same villagers also think the Patriots* has a perfect season.

My favorite is where Norwood kicks it square down the middle but it hits an errant flamingo and drops in the endzone. The flamingo was unharmed.

Edited by MattPie

Did I miss this Nobel-prize-worthy discovery?

Can you say it's not true? Sorry, but I think all y'all are making this stuff up as you go. Most creative=biggest genius.

My favorite is where Norwood kicks it square down the middle but it hits an errant flamingo and drops in the endzone. The flamingo was unharmed.

How would that be ruled? Seriously. Re-kick?

Can you say it's not true? Sorry, but I think all y'all are making this stuff up as you go. Most creative=biggest genius.

How would that be ruled? Seriously. Re-kick?

My guess? Natural effect like a gust of wind. Even when cameras pick up Bill Parcell's son shooing Flamingos in the end zone Sean Connery Indiana Jones-style.