• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

I really don't have a problem with what Gillis did.

He saw a window of opportunity with a very good team and almost made it happen.  I think a good GM knows when they have to go all in and take their best shot and not worry about the future.

A great philosopher once said ... 'the future is unwritten'.

In case you are wondering, the great philosopher was Joe Strummer.

I graduated HS with a guy who literally "sharpens skates" for the team. He has been a loyal and hard working (and I presume, competent) employee for more than 20 years. I don't know how much he makes, maybe $40k per year? Gets some health benefits I presume. So a bunch of millionaire coaches and management types, and millionaire players suck at winning hockey games for 5+ years and the way to fix that is to fire a bunch of people eking out their living? I can't believe folks are seriously suggesting to fire laundry washers and ticket sellers to have a "fresh start" on the ice? Frankly, that's appalling.

We really need a new GM and Coach to start talking about how to upgrade the defense and play a more modern system and who should be the goalie, etc as opposed to firing the Earl of Bud to upgrade the team's Corsi.

Well that's exactly the fan logic of cooties. If you are part of a losing organization, even if you had nothing to do with the losing, it's still your fault.

If you're preaching structure, discipline and communication how is that Rick Tochett? Man I hope we get Fenton/Housley, I just think that pair would do some great things together. I have no problem with Gillis, I mean it's easy to say he destroyed the Canucks but he also brought them within a game from winning the cup, and a nice playoff run that included a presidents trophy season, he wouldn't be my first choice but it's not like he's some bum.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

Gillis was 1/2 of the brains behind the Kassian-Hodgson trade.

He also drafted CoHo.

As shrader (I think) pointed out Cy Hgsn was the 10th ranked player in that draft and he was drafted 10th (or something like that).  So, what's the problem?

And that trade clearly was a 'hockey trade', so what's the big deal there, eh?

:nana:

Gillis would be an upgrade over Brandon as President, but I'd prefer Lombardi in that role.

This must be what it was like for you when I was insisting that Hull's goal was legal. I don't know why you keep implying or, now, outright saying that Brandon is PHO for the Sabres.

This must be what it was like for you when I was insisting that Hull's goal was legal. I don't know why you keep implying or, now, outright saying that Brandon is PHO for the Sabres.

Well, cosidering that according to the Sabres he is the Sabres Chief Operating Officer and is listed in his biography as President Alternate Governor. "Russ Brandon is in his second season as president and alternate governor of the Sabres after being named to the position on July 27, 2015" not sure how you're claiming he isn't.

Without having a President of Hockey Operations, the TEAM PRESIDENT holds that position.

I don't want him involved in hockey decisions. He has no background in hockey. Get someone that does know hockey above the GM & let him do his job.

Well, cosidering that according to the Sabres he is the Sabres Chief Operating Officer and is listed in his biography as President Alternate Governor. "Russ Brandon is in his second season as president and alternate governor of the Sabres after being named to the position on July 27, 2015" not sure how you're claiming he isn't.

Without having a President of Hockey Operations, the TEAM PRESIDENT holds that position.

I don't want him involved in hockey decisions. He has no background in hockey. Get someone that does know hockey above the GM & let him do his job.

Ted Black wasn't PHO. He wasn't Darcy's boss or Tim's boss. I think you're all wet on this one.

Ted Black wasn't PHO. He wasn't Darcy's boss or Tim's boss. I think you're all wet on this one.

Why does Brandon try to pretend that he wasn't the Bills GM in '08 & '09?

I'll be happy when the Sabes have a REAL president that actually knows something about the on-ice product. For all your concerns about "Pegula meddling," I'm surprised you're so quick to shrug off his involvement on the hockey side of things.

Agree. Brandon is president of Bills/Sabres. That's not president of football/hockey "operations".

Agree. Brandon is president of Bills/Sabres. That's not president of football/hockey "operations".

They need new titles.

Why does Brandon try to pretend that he wasn't the Bills GM in '08 & '09?

I'll be happy when the Sabes have a REAL president that actually knows something about the on-ice product. For all your concerns about "Pegula meddling," I'm surprised you're so quick to shrug off his involvement on the hockey side of things.

I go where the evidence leads me. The Terry trial thread was chock full. I honestly have nothing on Brandon. That doesn't mean he's not disguising his involvement, I guess. I don't see how naming a hockey president would necessarily change that.

They need new titles.

I go where the evidence leads me. The Terry trial thread was chock full. I honestly have nothing on Brandon. That doesn't mean he's not disguising his involvement, I guess. I don't see how naming a hockey president would necessarily change that.

Right now, a big failing w/in the organization, IMHO, is there is no one besides the GM w/ a hockey background & a long term focus at the upper management level for the GM to both be responsible to & to be able to bounce ideas off. Throw in all the stuff Brandon has done on the Bills side (not repeating them here again) & the team absolutely NEEDS a president w/ a hockey background. Especially if they're grabbing another young 1st time GM again.

A company can have a president(oversees the business operations) the operation of units within that company (hockey/football) could be directed by president of....... or director of........ That doesn't mean the company's president is making hockey or football decisions.

Right now, a big failing w/in the organization, IMHO, is there is no one besides the GM w/ a hockey background & a long term focus at the upper management level for the GM to both be responsible to & to be able to bounce ideas off. Throw in all the stuff Brandon has done on the Bills side (not repeating them here again) & the team absolutely NEEDS a president w/ a hockey background. Especially if they're grabbing another young 1st time GM again.

If you clean house, you have to hire that person with the hockey background.  They don't materialize out of thin air.

As shrader (I think) pointed out Cy Hgsn was the 10th ranked player in that draft and he was drafted 10th (or something like that).  So, what's the problem?

And that trade clearly was a 'hockey trade', so what's the big deal there, eh?

:nana:

I'm just not a fan of Gillis.

I'm just not a fan of Gillis.

Seems that on this board someone is not a fan of anyone. No matter who is appointed to whatever this board will have its critics. That's why it's not that influential in my thinking, just interesting back and forth.

If you clean house, you have to hire that person with the hockey background.  They don't materialize out of thin air.

No Schlitz Sherlock.

But that role to be filled by a hockey man hasn't only been open for a couple of weeks.

Seems that on this board someone is not a fan of anyone. No matter who is appointed to whatever this board will have its critics. That's why it's not that influential in my thinking, just interesting back and forth.

But we are all fans of nobody. Speaking of which, wtf is he?

I graduated HS with a guy who literally "sharpens skates" for the team. He has been a loyal and hard working (and I presume, competent) employee for more than 20 years. I don't know how much he makes, maybe $40k per year? Gets some health benefits I presume. So a bunch of millionaire coaches and management types, and millionaire players suck at winning hockey games for 5+ years and the way to fix that is to fire a bunch of people eking out their living? I can't believe folks are seriously suggesting to fire laundry washers and ticket sellers to have a "fresh start" on the ice? Frankly, that's appalling.

We really need a new GM and Coach to start talking about how to upgrade the defense and play a more modern system and who should be the goalie, etc as opposed to firing the Earl of Bud to upgrade the team's Corsi.

I blame your friend. He needs to go.

It's not really about competence to me. It's about the culture you are trying to change. Anyone can sharpen a skate (well, not anyone, but you know what I mean). I'd worry about what that equipment manager (or trainer, or doctor, or massage therapist, or PR handler) is contributing to the atmosphere and vibe of the room, what they're putting in players' ears, what politics they're playing, what they're leaking to the media. If I were a new GM, I'd be pretty paranoid, almost Nixonian. Just to be safe, I'd clean house.

Nothing reliably gives me the sports internet lulz more than that word -- culture

You know how to change the culture? Get good players and be a good team. VOILA! Culture change. 

I have thought about this before.  There is part of me that wants to fire everyone down to the ticket-takers and completely disinfect the organization.

I don't get this at all. It's a form of magical thinking, to me. The idea that there's some cloud, some miasma, maybe a curse that's holding this team (or any team) back is one to which I can't subscribe in the least. 

I graduated HS with a guy who literally "sharpens skates" for the team. He has been a loyal and hard working (and I presume, competent) employee for more than 20 years. I don't know how much he makes, maybe $40k per year? Gets some health benefits I presume. So a bunch of millionaire coaches and management types, and millionaire players suck at winning hockey games for 5+ years and the way to fix that is to fire a bunch of people eking out their living?  I can't believe folks are seriously suggesting to fire laundry washers and ticket sellers  to have a "fresh start" on the ice? Frankly, that's appalling. 

I am sure that there are many good rank and file people with the team. I hope many of them are still around when the team finally wins the big trophy.

I blame your friend. He needs to go.

Hah! I have noticed guys losing their edge and falling down a lot this past season. I agree, can his ass. 

(Wait a second....that was Ennis when someone breathed on him. Forget it). 

Nothing reliably gives me the sports internet lulz more than that word -- culture

You know how to change the culture? Get good players and be a good team. VOILA! Culture change. 

Here's another biological term to give bio a little thrill -- organism. Do you think a sports team is in any sense an organism? Is the health of the organism dependent on and affected by many individual parts? My operating theory here is that a cast of people closely surrounding the team can affect the team's performance. I don't have any idea if these people affect the performance net positive, net negative or neutrally. If I were a new GM, I wouldn't take any chances.

Here's one that is complete heresy. Rick's a Debbie Downer and might be infecting some of the youngens with his world-weary cynicism. "I hate traveling. I won't fly out West anymore, it's just too tough. Nuts to that."

Then there are environmental factors. The weather. Playing in a poor, Rust Belt city. The media. The dead arena. A community that is starving for a winner and puts pressure on the players. Not much you can do about those. Well, one thing winning could cure is the arena atmosphere.

Organism.