• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Friedman's 30 Thoughts: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-islanders-working-hard-john-tavares-extension-pitch/

First 12 or so are all about Buffalo

Support from Friedman for skepticism about Lombardi becoming senior adviser instead of GM:

If it’s the Edmonton model [i.e. GM only, not GM plus PHO], that favours Dean Lombardi or, if he becomes available, Treliving. Both men will want to be very hands-on. Treliving is still in the infancy of his managerial career, and, if you know Lombardi, you know he dives in head first.

Here is the problem the way TPegs is thinking:  As Toro pointed out the next big thing on Terry's agenda ks the draft and its photo ops.  Meanwhe the Sabres are essentially dormant.  A POHO would insure that someone is manning the helm at all times.  I could care less who the Bills draft, but I do care who the Sabres draft.  Right now those things are simply idling.  If he doesn't see that the Sabres and Bills run concurrently and not sequentially,  then both teams are in more trouble thanI thought.  

And this isn't just the current times.  Yes more unusual than most with expansion, but assistants get other jobs the Amerks need attention and cap and fa are a year round activity.  I hope he sees that he can't be in two places at once and decides that POHO is the way to go.  Then pick a hockey guy he can work with and trust and let them run with it.  

Toros point about the draft set me off.  If TPegs wasn't scouting QBs he ciuld have lowered the boom 2 weeks ago and maybe we would have our gm in Europe trying to sign Antipin instead of a scout.  Rant over.

Here is the problem the way TPegs is thinking:  As Toro pointed out the next big thing on Terry's agenda ks the draft and its photo ops.  Meanwhe the Sabres are essentially dormant.  A POHO would insure that someone is manning the helm at all times.  I could care less who the Bills draft, but I do care who the Sabres draft.  Right now those things are simply idling.  If he doesn't see that the Sabres and Bills run concurrently and not sequentially,  then both teams are in more trouble thanI thought.  

And this isn't just the current times.  Yes more unusual than most with expansion, but assistants get other jobs the Amerks need attention and cap and fa are a year round activity.  I hope he sees that he can't be in two places at once and decides that POHO is the way to go.  Then pick a hockey guy he can work with and trust and let them run with it.  

Toros point about the draft set me off.  If TPegs wasn't scouting QBs he ciuld have lowered the boom 2 weeks ago and maybe we would have our gm in Europe trying to sign Antipin instead of a scout.  Rant over.

With today's technology you can operate for the most part anywhere. For that matter interview anywhere. This is I don't think a big deal. I do agree ,though, in the advantage of having someone as a POH but it's not essential.

Treliving POHO, Chakya GM? Sold!

Note: this is not happening.

I'd love Chkya, but I'm so hesitant because of his inexperience. Then again, look at what he did this summer. Went out, drafted Keller, took a shot late at a consensus top 5 pick (Chycrhun), and snagged Goligoski from Dallas. The guy knows his stuff

I'd love Chkya, but I'm so hesitant because of his inexperience. Then again, look at what he did this summer. Went out, drafted Keller, took a shot late at a consensus top 5 pick (Chycrhun), and snagged Goligoski from Dallas. The guy knows his stuff

Thats why I like him under a POHO or something. Plus then Treliving can get a promotion, which gives him a "reason" to leave Calgary.

Put #Lightning Asst. GM Julien BriseBois on the list of GM candidates for #Sabres. Dark horse for now but in mix.

Further on Drury speculation/connections to Eichel, Peter Fish, their agent, is very close to BU Hockey head coach David Quinn #Sabres

Total speculation/long-shot at this point but don't rule out a Terrier take over in Buffalo. Drury-GM Quinn-Head Coach Eichel-Captain

Guy has 18k followers, so I believe this is a legitimate source

Put #Lightning Asst. GM Julien BriseBois on the list of GM candidates for #Sabres. Dark horse for now but in mix.

Per Jimmy Murphy.

John Buccigross

Interesting job with loads of interesting folks. Bill Zito is another one. A "builder" which is what the Sabres need to finish the job.

:nana:

I really wish they'd give me more work to do  :(

More from John Shannon

Look for names like Botterill,Futa,Conroy,Gilman,Fenton,

Dubas...to be in the mix in Buffalo.

Actually shocked there is no Maciver in there. Wonder if the sweep by Nashville really stood out to Pegula

For those that are curious, because I was and had to look them up

Botterill: AGM of the Penguins

Futa: Recently promoted AGM of the Kings

Conroy: AGM of Calgary

Gillman: ???? (Think he was the previous AGM of Vancouver before being fired in 2015)

Fenton: Long time AGM of the Preds (a really, really long time), and went very far in the interview process with Buffalo last time around

Dubas: AGM of the Leafs, GM of their AHL affiliate, the Marlies (Would likely bring Sheldon Keefe, Marlies coach, with him). Dubas is only 31, and well, apparently people ###### love him

@reporterchris

Brendan Shanahan says he "polled the hockey world" to find out who the great up-and-coming minds are in hockey. Led him to Kyle Dubas.[/size]

@CraigCustance

Kyle Dubas and his staff drafted and developed players/systems based on metrics and maintaining puck possession. This is a really good hire.

@mirtle

Shanahan says Dubas has "come up a different way" than he did in hockey world. "Has great appreciation for analytics."

@JeffMarek

Ask anyone in the industry and they'll tell you 'it was only a matter of time' until @kyledubas made it to the NHL.

@kyledubas

Great job by @keithlaw, showing how cognitive biases and illusions impair our thinking when we scout/watch sports http://meadowparty.com/blog/2014/04/17/thinking-fast-and-slow/

@kyledubas

The Oakland Way. A great read from Joe Posnanski on how the A's continue to thrive a decade after Moneyball - http://www.nbcsports.com/baseball/mlb/oakland-way

Some have said Dubas is the Theo Epstein of hockey. He’s just 28-years-old and has spent the past three seasons as the general manager of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

From when Dubas was hired by Toronto in 2014 http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/who-is-this-guy-the-lowdown-on-leafs-assistant-dubas/

"Does playing in the world juniors at 17 make you a better prospect than someone that doesn't?" Dubas said during his presentation of "How Analytics has Limited the Impact of Cognitive Bias on Personnel Decisions" at the 2015 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. "I don't think so. I think we know that from years of going through and measuring at different points."

"Basically, there is a big difference between raw statistics and data gathering and using that data to incorporate into your process as a team," Dubas said.

Dubas also was part of the "Changing on the Fly: The State of Advanced Analytics in the NHL" panel, along with Edmonton Oilers analyst Tyler Dellow, former Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, former NHL executive Frank Provenzano of ESPN, and James Mirtle of The Globe and Mail

Beyond the draft rankings, Dubas brought up two critical times on the NHL calendar when bias becomes a big problem. The first is right now, the days leading up to the NHL Trade Deadline.

"We have the trade deadline coming up on Monday," Dubas said. "You're in a discussion with another team and they say, 'We want Player X from you,' and we say, 'OK, what are you going to give us?' And they say, 'We'll give you prospect A, B or C, and a fourth-round pick.'

"The initial reaction is to open the floodgates unleash our scouts and they rush to, pick an AHL city, Binghamton, they go to see the Binghamton Senators to watch prospects A, B and C, and they say, 'Prospect B was great, prospect C was terrible, and prospect A was just OK.'

"So immediately our discussion shifts to prospect B. We're eliminating hundreds of games that we've scouted of these players and many data points that we have and we're putting it on one game on Feb. 23, 2015 when we've watched this player for four or five years."

The other time bias can lead a team to make the wrong decision is during training camp. A large amount of players are together, and a small amount of time is used to try to decide which ones should be on the roster.

Dubas warned of letting any results during camp play too large a role in the decision.

"We have years of information and scouting reports on players," he said. "But if a player comes into camp and has a good training camp we put him on the team and take off a player who has proven for years to be better and put him in the minors, or you release him and someone claims him on waivers."

The theme of Dubas' presentation was the importance of being willing to learn. He incorporated analytics in his first year with the Soo, but they missed the playoffs. So he learned from the failure, and that helped him turn Sault Ste. Marie into the one of the top teams in the OHL.

https://www.nhl.com/news/dubas-explains-value-of-hockey-analytics-at-sloan/c-755645

I've read and listened to a lot of Theo Epstein, and this is the exact approach he takes. Sign me the ###### up for Dubas and Keefe

Edited by WildCard

I'm just hoping that whomever the Pegulas select and what format (president, GM, Coach) they choose to go with it brings....

A. A seriously skilled, speedy LW'er for Eichel and Baptiste to form a formidable line.

B. A #1/2 LHD and a #3/4 RHD.

C. A plan to jettison several contracts.

And

D. A long-term plan for the goal tending situation.

Sounds like he has narrowed down the job to just about everyone.  Really going out on a limb there

This is what I'm getting from all the experts at this point. 

Also don't forget that agents will ask media members to mention their clients in stuff like this just to get their name out there.

Dubas: AGM of the Leafs, GM of their AHL affiliate, the Marlies (Would likely bring Sheldon Keefe, Marlies coach, with him). Dubas is only 31, and well, apparently people ###### love him

@reporterchris

Brendan Shanahan says he "polled the hockey world" to find out who the great up-and-coming minds are in hockey. Led him to Kyle Dubas.[/size]

@CraigCustance

Kyle Dubas and his staff drafted and developed players/systems based on metrics and maintaining puck possession. This is a really good hire.

@mirtle

Shanahan says Dubas has "come up a different way" than he did in hockey world. "Has great appreciation for analytics."

@JeffMarek

Ask anyone in the industry and they'll tell you 'it was only a matter of time' until @kyledubas made it to the NHL.

@kyledubas

Great job by @keithlaw, showing how cognitive biases and illusions impair our thinking when we scout/watch sports http://meadowparty.com/blog/2014/04/17/thinking-fast-and-slow/

@kyledubas

The Oakland Way. A great read from Joe Posnanski on how the A's continue to thrive a decade after Moneyball - http://www.nbcsports.com/baseball/mlb/oakland-way

From when Dubas was hired by Toronto in 2014 http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/who-is-this-guy-the-lowdown-on-leafs-assistant-dubas/

I've read and listened to a lot of Theo Epstein, and this is the exact approach he takes. Sign me the ###### up for Dubas and Keefe

I want Dubas if only to spite Toronto.  :devil:

The more I read about the this process, the more murky it gets but I think the best solution is a Director of hockey with a GM underneath him.  

We've discussed Lombardi, warts and all. Sportsnet brought up Brian Burke.  I love Fenton, but is it to late to start at 57? or is he waiting for Poile (67) to retire and move upstairs.  

IMSHO, I think the best solution is Rick Dudley as Director of hockey Ops and a young GM like Botterill.  Dudley has seen in all in pro hockey and he has shown he can work well in almost all situations.  Botterill is a cap expert and we certainly need help fixing the contract mess left behind by TM.  Botterill also is the GM of the baby Pens.  

We need a new poll to see if TP splits the job or only hires a GM.