Tim Murray Press Conference 2:00 PM EST

Thwomp!

I got the impression that Baptiste and Nylander may be looked at to make a bigger impact on this team next year than I thought.  Would add a lot of speed to the team to.

I'm not sure if it will happen next year, but in the near future I COULD see Baptiste being a legit 25 goal scorer on a steady line with Eichel.

He's just sick of hearing the same question that he doesn't have an answer to.

He's just sick of hearing the same question that he doesn't have an answer to.

He needs to get over that one... just saysorry will let you know when i do and can and be done with it.

Interesting he saved Jack's for last. His comments made it pretty clear that he knows whatever Jack wants, Jack's gonna get

Jack wants a new coach

Jack wants a new coach

Jack wants a new coach

GMTM also on Eichel: they will negotiate starting July 1. Talked today. My clear take: He's gonna be captain next year, even w/Gionta back.

From Harrington

my guess is the only way Dan goes is if GMTM goes. If you're GM, and you know you're going throw a long, contentious rebuild, why not let someone else take some of the arrows.

I think it's telling that Jack was the final interview and what ever Jack wants, Jack gets

Jack wants a new coach

Jack wants a new coach

Jack wants a new coach

GMTM also on Eichel: they will negotiate starting July 1. Talked today. My clear take: He's gonna be captain next year, even w/Gionta back.

From Harrington

Duff and Peters think the same thing about Jack as captain.

I think it's telling that Jack was the final interview and what ever Jack wants, Jack gets

I'm not sure I'm fully on board with this approach.  There is still a fair amount of inconsistency in Jack and I don't personally think he's earned this status yet.

My takes from the presser:

*Murray's going to do everything he can to sign Jack long term

*Would not surprise me Jack is captain next year

*Murray will 'directly or indirectly' be choosing the captain

*DD may not be safe after all

*Organization has extremely high hopes for both Guhle and Baptiste

*Don't be surprised if more emphasis is put on guys with playoff experience when considering trades/signings

*Must upgrade the D

*I'm really afraid of Okposo's illness.  Are we talking something life threatening?  Just speculation but things like cancer or ALS or some other very serious illness keep popping into my head based on reactions whenever someone brings it up.

Edited by Derrico

sadly the Okoposo thing is really concerning...he is a major talent, a great signing (who GMTM did not get enough credit for landing) and obviously a great guy and when no one will say anything it can only be one thing...NOT GOOD. I swear this friggin' team is so jinxed that even great moves blow up in our faces. same goes for Kulikov who suffers a freak injury before the stupid season even starts. and of course Jack's injury. no wonder we have a complex!

I didn't listen.  Can you expand on this?

Basically, they expected the players to build a team structure on their own, hold themselves accountable, etc. But it didn't happen. And although some here are going to say that this is a problem with the kids, I'm going to go the other way and say it was some of the veteran players who were problematic. Instead of those vets coming in and providing leadership for the kids, they f*cked off and did whatever they wanted because they knew DDB had nothing in place/no intention of punishing them. 

Basically, they expected the players to build a team structure on their own, hold themselves accountable, etc. But it didn't happen. And although some here are going to say that this is a problem with the kids, I'm going to go the other way and say it was some of the veteran players who were problematic. Instead of those vets coming in and providing leadership for the kids, they f*cked off and did whatever they wanted because they knew DDB had nothing in place/no intention of punishing them. 

Sounds about right.

I think you're reading too much into what Murray said that was slightly negative towards Dreary.

He said just as many more positive things about the coach and certainly did a good amount of spreading the blame around to the players as well.

I didn't listen. Can you expand on this?

Sounds like they were given a lot of rope in terms the non-technical aspects of being a Sabre and not a lot of psychological coaching or rigid off-ice structure. And the response was to mope, or second guess or take advantage.

Quotes:

* Players need to be explained things in very black and white terms

* coaches need to spend less time worrying about the other team

* coaches need to spend more time getting to know the player

* coaches and Murray need to be more demanding

Smells like Murray thinks it is too much of a country club in that beautiful dressing room.

And this. Murray made it pretty clear he is going to be more of a demanding tone-setter and expects it to be reflected right through the hierarchy. Edited by dudacek

I listened to the conference and then popped on here to read through comments. My thoughts:

• People are definitely reading into GMTM's comments with personal biases: If you think DD stays, you heard it that way. If you think he's getting fired, you heard it that way. However, I do think there were a couple of things that bothered GMTM about DD:
  • He doesn't like all the prep work that the coaches do regarding other teams and wants them to focus on this team.
  • The comments about everything being black and white: I think this reflects that GMTM had to get involved because the players were expressing confusion. I think there is evidence of inconsistent punishment, and making everything black and white removes all the grey. I think some of that black and white is players not buying into the system because they don't know what they're supposed to do when a player like Jack isn't held to the same standard -- he gets a pass on mistakes and turnovers, IMO.

• Regarding Jack being captain. I don't think Murray meant he will make the decision of who's captain. I think his response was referred to it is up to him in regards to whether they bring Gionta back. Three or four questions were lumped into one... IIRC -- REPORTER: Gionta had a good year -- would you want to bring him back and would he be captain again. Or maybe that's not your decision. GMTM RESPONSE: (As I recall it) It is my decision. He did play well and we'd love to have him back for a one year contract if the terms are right.
  • Players not being happy. Maybe I missed something but it sounded like he was referring to players being unhappy because they missed the playoffs. He said whether you're a playoff team or not, you'll always have people unhappy. He made a specific comment about the players, and said I don't see them away from here, and so if they're unhappy, I don't see it. Kinda of weird: He seemed to dismiss the general negative attitude some people have, and summed it up by saying he wasn't away of any "cancers" in the room. On a different line of question, he said if people are more accountable, you can ask more of them. Sounds like that's why they were making it black and white.
  • It does sound like Peterson is not going to sign here. He said he talks to him everyday. Hmmm, wouldn't you know more than? And what do you say to someone everyday?
  • Antipin response was strange: "I think he is still playing."  Wouldn't you know with certainty when he season is over if you were looking to get him under contract?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.