2017 Free Agent Frenzy

WildCard

Waitaminnit!

I thought XGMTM made a huge mess of the cap, saddling us with all these horrible contracts.

According to capfriendly we've got $25 million to play with, 2nd-most in the league.

We have to sign Lehner, Beaulieu, Foligno, Girgensons and Larsson. I'd be shocked if those guys combine for a cap hit over $15 million. You've got a ton of space to acquire a good defenceman, and still extend Kane, Reinhart and Eichel.

Sure we will probably have to dump Ennis and/or Moulson in the last year of their deal for wiggle room, but so what?

Waitaminnit!

I thought XGMTM made a huge mess of the cap, saddling us with all these horrible contracts.

According to capfriendly we've got $25 million to play with, 2nd-most in the league.

We have to sign Lehner, Beaulieu, Foligno, Girgensons and Larsson. I'd be shocked if those guys combine for a cap hit over $15 million. You've got a ton of space to acquire a good defenceman, and still extend Kane, Reinhart and Eichel.

Sure we will probably have to dump Ennis and/or Moulson in the last year of their deal for wiggle room, but so what?

everyone was quick to dump on EXGMTM but truth is he was doing fine. The OReilly trade was the Crime Of The Century, and most other moves were good too. Kulikov was is big bust, but truth be told he (Kulikov) was/is far better then he showed and it was a fluke injury that ruined his season. If Kulikov had played anywhere near his potential and EXGMTM had not hired Blysma (or got a new coach) things would have been much better  

“I mean, it’s not impossible,” said LeBrun. “But I have a feeling that New Jersey will probably have the biggest bid, is my guess. The Devils have the most cap room. Shattenkirk is from the area. Certainly the Devils have a hole there on that side.

“So anything is possible, you’re right. Tampa showed interest in a trade for Shattenkirk last year, so you never know. But I don’t know that – I mean listen, they still haven’t re-signed Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat, so the cap is always an issue these days with Tampa.

“So would they show interest? It wouldn’t shock me. But they certainly, I don’t think, could outbid some other teams that have more cap room.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/lebrun-devils-will-probably-bid-ufa-shattenkirk/

“Well, you know what? I don’t know that the Rangers are as eager for Shattenkirk as everybody thinks they are,” considered McKenzie. “They might get in those sweepstakes. But quite frankly, part of the reason – well, a big part of the reason – they made the deal is they were trying to shed a contract.

“Listen – Derek Stepan is a good NHL center. He’s money in the bank for 50 points. But he’s got a contract that kicks in with a full no-trade on July 1. He’s got four years left at $6.5 million. The Rangers are looking at what he did for them for $6.5 million. They’re looking at his age. They’re looking at their team. They’re looking at the need to get younger and to transition.

McKenzie investigates Claude Giroux trade rumors

“But they’ve also got to stay competitive, because it’s New York. You can’t just say, ‘Ah, we’re going to tear down, build it up, and if we’re really bad for five years the fans of New York will be really understanding about it. They’ll just hang in with us.’ Well, no. they probably won’t."

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/mckenzie-wonders-eager-rangers-actually-sign-shattenkirk/

everyone was quick to dump on EXGMTM but truth is he was doing fine. The OReilly trade was the Crime Of The Century, and most other moves were good too. Kulikov was is big bust, but truth be told he (Kulikov) was/is far better then he showed and it was a fluke injury that ruined his season. If Kulikov had played anywhere near his potential and EXGMTM had not hired Blysma (or got a new coach) things would have been much better  

Murray's fatal gaff was not attempting to throw water on the dumpster fire the team became last season. His failure to recognize that DDB had lost the room and making no moves to address the D doomed him.

Murray's fatal gaff was not attempting to throw water on the dumpster fire the team became last season. His failure to recognize that DDB had lost the room and making no moves to address the D doomed him.

The trigger for his firing, I believe, was that the team did worse than it did the year before (fewer points).  Standing by his Dan was the biggest contributor to that result (at least biggest under his control).  I'm pretty sure he knew he'd be measured harshly by the team's lower point total compared to the previous season, which is why he made the remark about "if" he would be back.  He knew he was in hot water based on a very discrete metric.

Edited by Doohickie

The trigger for his firing, I believe, was that the team did worse than it did the year before (fewer points).  Standing by his Dan was the biggest contributor to that result (at least biggest under his control).  I'm pretty sure he knew he'd be measured harshly by the team's lower point total compared to the previous season, which is why he made the remark about "if" he would be back.  He knew he was in hot water based on a very discreet metric.

That and he called Kim a c*nt apparently 

Wait really?

I think he got the guys he wanted, mostly, and it didn't work out. He then didn't really know what to do to make the team better.

That was the rumor.

NYR and Brendan Smith are close to finalizing what is expected to be a four-year deal.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.