2017 Free Agent Frenzy

WildCard

I think we got our Schultz/MZD in the Beaulieu trade

We need to destroy all possibilities of people squeezing Josh into the left side, whether it's via trade or free agency etc.

Yup. One more low-key addition to bump Gorges/Falk down to 7/8 and I'm satisfied.

Del Zotto's offensive potential in Housley's system intrigues me but he's a tire fire in his own end.

I don't know that anyone else is going to give Radulov term either whether he wants it or not.  Memories are long in the NHL and if he wishes to not be paid in rubles he might have to take a 1 or 2 year deal because that's all is on the table.

Housley already coached Del Zotto in Nashville. MDZ was awful down here, so I doubt Housley would want him again (but who knows?).

Housley also had Radulov on the Preds and he was a nightmare away from the ice. If we really want "character" players then Radulov certainly doesn't fit the bill.

I don't expect any big splashes, I think we'll bring up and develop our own from here on out. We have the nucleus (Eichel, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Okposo, Ristolainen, McCabe) , most teams would be quite happy with that and I hope we now have the coach who can bring out the most in them and a GM who will keep stocking the shelves with talent.

What about Smith? Sell me on him.

Though his offense never blossomed the way many anticipated, he did turn himself into a smooth-skating defensive defenseman (see: the real kind, not the perceived kind) who is a nice value 4/5 type. He's been a positive CF% player his career except the last two years, but he was still a positive CF% relative player (what can I say, the Wings and Rags give up a lot of shots :lol: ). His CF% and CA/60 were both 3rd on the Rangers, behind only Clandening (another good value add, IMO) and Skjei...or put differently, he was the 2nd best shot suppressor among defensemen that Vigneault didn't staple to the press box as often as possible. Only 28 and coming off a 2 year $2.75M AAV contract, I think he's another Beaulieu-type addition who can play 3rd pair easily and while competing for a 2nd pair spot, and I doubt he gets any kind of a hefty raise because he has neither the profile of an Alzner nor the production of a Shattenkirk.

Not really enamored with the free agent crop.  I would prefer just plugging up with one year players while Botterill works on shedding some of the superfluous crap.  

Someone like Pitlick on the cheap to plug a bottom six role might be interesting.  Albeit, that he's coming back from injury.  

@PierreVLeBrun
Kulikov's agent Mike Bogdan says he's had lots of calls already from other teams since window opened..

@PierreVLeBrun  41m41 minutes ago
 Pending UFA Dmitry Kulikov played for Guy Boucher in Drummondville... Wouldn't be surprised if the Sens reached out this week to chat...

@DarrenDreger
Justin Williams will chat with Caps management this week to see if he's still a fit.  50/50 he's back in Washington next season.

@DarrenDreger
Speaking of the Capitals, Karl Alzner is drawing a crowd. Several calls from teams with interest. He will visit with some this week.

@PierreVLeBrun
Needless to say, Patrick Marleau's camp has received calls from teams over the past 24 hours, no surprise there. Interesting week for him

@OvertimeScottB
No surprise @DallasStars to buy out Antti Niemi ($1.5 million cap hit over two years). Kari Lehtonen to back up Ben Bishop was always plan.

@Russostrib
#mnwild still very well may trade a defenseman like Marco Scandella. Teams like BOS still have interest, but Fletcher wants better offers

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.