Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

So if that's the case, do we try to trade him now for a known quantity? Or keep him around to help protect others on the roster?

What do we get in compensation (if anything) if they take one of our players? I'm either blind or can't seem to find it. 

No team will be compensated for the player it loses in the expansion draft.  (Well, except for their share of the $500 million expansion fee!)

Kane is an eligible draftee, but he is protectable, too.  I would guess that whomever the Sabres would receive in return would be a player in the same situation, so trading him wouldn't really solve the expansion draft problem.  

I guess my original question was more like, will the Sabres use one of their saves on Kane, or leave him vulnerable.

The rules

* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Our defense isn't that deep, I'd imagine we go with option A. I'm not up on the contracts, and I'm not sure if Sam and Jack are considered 2nd year or 3rd year (previous season, or current?). We have to protect Okposo and we'll definitely protect RoR. What other forwards though?

There is no tradevalue, his value cant be more than 1,5 mill by now, so many injuries and 0,5 points per game is just not worth it, atleast thats what i would think if i was a gm.
So i guess i say keep and hope he produces more goals and raises his value so we can trade him for something worth while.

Edited by MODO Hockey

I vote keep unless a knock-socks-off trade offer is received, which I think is highly unlikely.

There is NFW he is exposed in the expansion draft.

BUT

I have a little, nagging suspicion that all is not happy behind the scenes with the Sabres and Kane. I see no joy from him on the ice, even when he scores.

He congratulates his teammates, and sticks up for them in scrums, and plays hard -- but something seems off.

Maybe they read him the riot act after his legal scrapes last summer and told him they were going to ship him out for the first decent offer. Maybe he thought no one defended him and he felt betrayed. Maybe the rumors from Winnipeg were true and he's a self-absorbed jerk whom no one can stand.

Or maybe I'm imagining the whole thing.

But I won't be surprised if he's traded. (Although I will be disappointed, because I like his game.)

I vote keep unless a knock-socks-off trade offer is received, which I think is highly unlikely.

BUT

I have a little, nagging suspicion that all is not happy behind the scenes with the Sabres and Kane. I see no joy from him on the ice, even when he scores.

He congratulates his teammates, and sticks up for them in scrums, and plays hard -- but something seems off.

Maybe they read him the riot act after his legal scrapes last summer and told him they were going to ship him out for the first decent offer. Maybe he thought no one defended him and he felt betrayed. Maybe the rumors from Winnipeg were true and he's a self-absorbed jerk whom no one can stand.

But I won't be surprised if he's traded. (Although I will be disappointed, because I like his game.)

I get this feeling too, and it sucks because the Kane of the last month or so is someone I desperately want to carry our third line for years. 

BUT

I'm fairly sure his ticket was punched before and until he did get into trouble, and he knows it.  They'll keep him this season but I'd expect him to be elsewhere next year. 

BUT

Ehh...I'm actually fairly skeptical of that line of thinking. Have you seen Kane's twitter recently? He's frequently liking and retweeting Sabres stuff. If you go to his "likes" section, it's a bunch of official Sabres posts, posts about games we've won. Personally I doubt whether he'd be doing this if he had bad blood with the organization. But who knows.

Edited by Thorny

BUT

I can see where you'd be inclined to read the tea leaves this way, but I'm willing to offer a different reason for his seeming lack of enthusiasm.

We know Jack isn't happy with the team right now. That much has been made clear. 

We also know that Jack and Kane appear to like/respect each other. 

I suspect Kane is following Jack's lead and tempering his enthusiasm about things like scoring goals in the interest of making a point: that they haven't earned the right to celebrate yet. 

I think Kane is focused. I think his play as of late reflects that. 

There is no tradevalue, his value cant be more than 1,5 mill by now, so many injuries and 0,5 points per game is just not worth it, atleast thats what i would think if i was a gm.

So i guess i say keep and hope he produces more goals and raises his value so we can trade him for something worth while.

He's scored 30 goals in his 94 games he's played here, I don't know what you're talking about, you don't like his style?? I understand that but to say he has little to no value as a player, I think you're wrong

BUT

Cut your post short for brevity but I think it's more of an ego thing with him feeling he was bounced off the top 6. I think it's worked because he's taken the bait and he's been a big positive for the team and Samson in my opinion. He and Bailey are giving him space to play which is making his transition to Center much easier and successful.

Edited by jsb

I can see where you'd be inclined to read the tea leaves this way, but I'm willing to offer a different reason for his seeming lack of enthusiasm.

We know Jack isn't happy with the team right now. That much has been made clear. 

I suspect Kane is following Jack's lead and tempering his enthusiasm about things like scoring goals in the interest of making a point: that they haven't earned the right to celebrate yet. 

I'm more in line with d4rk here.

As I was reading freeman's post, I chuckled at the idea: There might be something wrong with Kane because he's no longer acting like a raging d-bag.

Joking - mostly. But I have noticed it too, mostly over the last several games.

OTOH, 

When a guy pretends to want to fight and only chirps when the 6'6 linesman is standing in the way. #KevanMiller #pretender #stoplying

10:23 AM - 1 Jan 2017

Ehh...I'm actually fairly skeptical of that line of thinking. Have you seen Kane's twitter recently? He's frequently liking and retweeting Sabres stuff. If you go to his "likes" section, it's a bunch of official Sabres posts, posts about games we've won. Personally I doubt whether he'd be doing this if he had bad blood with the organization. But who knows.

Good counterpoints here boys.

I was also thinking along the lines of nfreeman in viewing Kane on ice, but now think I will choose to follow this line of reasoning as it's much more optimistic and I can use that!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.