Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

Now that DD had found where Kane is supposed to play, he's been producing. Combine that with the fact that he's stopped being Kaleta wreckless and the market for a defensmen is so freaking absurd, why not just keep him? Thoughts?

Edited by WildCard

Now that DD had found where Kane is supposed to play, he's been producing. Combine that with the fact that he's stopped being Kaleta wreckless and the market for a defensmen is so freaking absurd, why not just keep him? Thoughts?

Two reasons, for me:

1) I have little faith in these trends to continue

2) I'm doubtful the money makes sense when his contract is up

But he has a propensity to get injured, and his value will probably never be higher than now

My opinion is until you can get a couple of other wingers who can put the puck into the net, you don't give up your best 5v5 scorer. 

He doesn't play a pretty game but he's effective and he's one of the few guys who looks ready made to be a playoff player on this team

I think a few Western Conference Teams will be calling about him, Foligno and Zemgus.

If it's Anaheim Shea Theodore?

The Kings Jake Muzzin?

I say trade him for the right package i.e. a Young D Man who would be in our top four, who is currently down the depth chart or in the AHL because of roster depth. Figuring that keeping Kane beyond next season would be cost prohibitive because of cap issues

I think a few Western Conference Teams will be calling about him, Foligno and Zemgus.

If it's Anaheim Shea Theodore?

The Kings Jake Muzzin?

I say trade him for the right package i.e. a Young D Man who would be in our top four, who is currently down the depth chart or in the AHL because of roster depth. Figuring that keeping Kane beyond next season would be cost prohibitive because of cap issues

I'm fine keeping him.  His contract isn't egregious and he's finding his game.  That said, if we can swing a trade to get a young defenseman (prospect) that could be part of our Top 4 for years to come, I'm definitely interested.  Anaheim's depth makes sense for us.

I've been very happy with his recent play, but for the majority of his time here he's been a disappointment. I'd prefer to see him traded while his stock is high before it comes crashing back down again. Especially if we can get a good defensemen for him. I don't know enough about whose out there to speculate on what that trade would be, but hopefully GMTM is shopping him around for someone he likes.

That said if they keep him, I'm OK with it so long as he keeps up this level of play. I'm not optimistic though..

So many are assuming that this is the peak of Kane's career and that we should trade him now while we still can. Is it not also reasonable to predict that Kane might also get better as he gels with his teammates and gains more maturity on and off the ice? He's still only 25. He does have a unique skillset that the team is otherwise lacking. The Kane trade was one of the two marquee trades Murray made that will define his early GM career. I doubt he's going to hit the "abort" button on this one unless the trade return offers are skewed heavily in his favor. As in top 2 d-man return, not top-4.

I have to admit I'm confused by this, we are one of the worst goal scoring teams in the league and you want to trade your best 5v5 goal scorer, your 2nd highest goal scorer and your 2nd highest goals per game scorer for a Dman????? He better be a top 2 LHD to even think about it.

For as disappointing this season has gone mainly because of injuries, we are 1 point behind Tampa Bay and Dallas and 2 behind Nashville with games in hand. We're starting to get our injured back on the ice and playing well and you want to blow it up already??? I just don't get it. Did anyone think we would be this close in points to those 3 teams and be having a disappointing season?? Some of those hot teams early this year are going to back track some, if you're going to trade some guys on the team you start with your older vets.... Gorges, Moulson, Franson, Now your making sense but a 25 year old who happens to be a goal scorer and one of the very few speed players on the team, not without a MAJOR return.

The Taylor Hall/Adam Larsson (sp) trade indicates, to me, that Kane's value would be short of a top- dman.

I made my personal antipathy for the player known a few months ago.

Right now, he's going pretty good. And we need the scoring, Lord knows.

I wouldn't need my socks to be knocked off in order to move him -- maybe just some tingling in my feet would do. Not like the pins and needles kind, though. A happier tingling.

I have no intention of trading Kane. As long as he stays off the Eichel line for the rest of eternity, he is a productive player and provides the speed and relentless forecheck for the new Reinhart line. Running 3 scoring lines has revitalized this team in terms of productivity and watchability.

If the team can make a run towards a playoff spot, keep him. 

If not, consider trading as his value is peaking and he's proven to be an above average injury risk as well as an above average risk in terms of off-ice antics causing him to miss time or be a major distraction. 

However don't trade him for a bag of pucks. Needs to be a solid return with younger and/or proven players signed to lower cap consuming contracts. 

If he's still here after the trade deadline based on Sabres playoff position or lack of a decent return, then reconsider the situation after the season ends. 

Note: I do think we are seeing "peak Kane" as 25 is not an age where wingers typically develop into better players than they had been previously. I.e. when healthy and on his game he's a 30 goalie scoring physical force. We just haven't seen him healthy or on his game as much as hoped the past 1.5 years. 

If the team can make a run towards a playoff spot, keep himwould need 

If not, consider trading as his value is peaking and he's proven to be an above average injury risk as well as an above average risk in terms of off-ice antics causing him to miss time or be a major distraction. 

However don't trade him for a bag of pucks. Needs to be a solid return with younger and/or proven players signed to lower cap consuming contracts. 

If he's still here after the trade deadline based on Sabres playoff position or lack of a decent return, then reconsider the situation after the season ends. 

Note: I do think we are seeing "peak Kane" as 25 is not an age where wingers typically develop into better players than they had been previously. I.e. when healthy and on his game he's a 30 goalie scoring physical force. We just haven't seen him healthy or on his game as much as hoped the past 1.5 years. 

Patrick Sharp is one noteable exception. His game took off when he found his role with the Hawks.  I would need to be blown away before I dealt him unless doing so fixes our expansion issues to allow us to clear dead cap.  I wonder if TM will trade for a goalie to expose.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.