Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

I hope I'm not out of line responding to this thread but this is what I would do if I were the GM.

Keep Kaner this season unless someone comes a knockin' with a really good LHD in the deal.

This off-season, probably the draft table, I would trade Kaner for a quality D prospect whether he is a LHD or RHD....someone like Sanheim or Skjei.

Then, having cleared 5.25m of AAV, I go after Alzner and give him an offer he can't refuse. You get a 1LHD, at worse a very good 2LHD, and a blue chip prospect ready or VERY close to being ready for the NHL

So, you trade a 3rd liner that is making big bucks that is only under contract for another year for a blue chip prospect and fill your need at D.

Don't want to start any arguments so if this post shouldn't be allowed, will one of the mods please delete it.

I hope I'm not out of line responding to this thread but this is what I would do if I were the GM.

Keep Kaner this season unless someone comes a knockin' with a really good LHD in the deal.

This off-season, probably the draft table, I would trade Kaner for a quality D prospect whether he is a LHD or RHD....someone like Sanheim or Skjei.

Then, having cleared 5.25m of AAV, I go after Alzner and give him an offer he can't refuse. You get a 1LHD, at worse a very good 2LHD, and a blue chip prospect ready or VERY close to being ready for the NHL

So, you trade a 3rd liner that is making big bucks that is only under contract for another year for a blue chip prospect and fill your need at D.

Don't want to start any arguments so if this post shouldn't be allowed, will one of the mods please delete it.

If the Sabres do pull that off, my evaluation of the trade goes from a wash (both teams benefitting) to Sabres win. :p

Awesome post well thought out and very interesting food for thought.

Alzner is a D man I want the Jets to go after. I don't think the Caps will not be able to afford him and probably lose one or two others.

I like Alzner, but i think the issue with signing guys like him is durability. Yes, right now when he plays he is a great asset, but due to his style of play, he'll become a Josh Gorges sooner then later and guys on the open market not only get overpaid but also get a lot of term.

With the way Kane has been playing lately, I'm shocked "trade" is doing so well. I thought for sure I'd be a man on an island!

Why are you surprised? What has Kane's recent good play done but hopefully increase his trade value? We all understand we need to give to get and despite our mediocre offense, our D is the bigger concern as it can be argued we only have 2 NHL D on the roster at this time. We also have 8 forwards GMTM probably wants to protect on his roster from expansion (ROR, Okposo, Ennis, Kane, Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno and Carrier). Trading Kane now (or by the deadline) means you don't lose one of those players for nothing. In addition forward is our position of depth in the organization with Carrier, Fasching, Bailey, Nylander and Baptiste all likely pushing for more NHL time sooner then later. Also Kane is on pace for 20 goals and 30 pts. Not exactly $5 mill plus value.

Ana continues to be desperate for scoring help as Getzlaf and Perry aren't exactly producing at their acustomed high level. I want Montour or Theodore back in the deal. The cap part of this is hard. We might have to eat much of Kane's deal this year and next and/or take a Stoner or Bieksa back as well to make it work. Stoner is out until February but isn't on LTIR.

My deal Stoner and Montour for Kane, Fedun(or Falk), a forward prospect and we eat the difference between Stoner's and Kane's deal for this season and next. This deal adds scoring to ANA without any cap ramifications, doesn't hurt their D as neither Stoner or Montour are currently playing for the Ducks, while giving us 2 D for the rest of this season and with Montour a top 4 D in the future. It would also allow us to protect 7 forwards including Carrier, open a slot for Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander or Fasching in the NHL, and if we don't lose Stoner to expansion, maybe another decent physical D for 2017-2018. If we do lose him we pick up 3.25 in cap space.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I like how Evander Kane plays hockey. I hate that he gets injured and I hate when he misses the net, but I love the shooter. This should probably go in the unpopular hockey opinions thread, but I love shooters. Can't score if you don't shoot. Put the puck on net every single chance you get!   I voted to keep him. Kane is alright by me. 

My deal Stoner and Montour for Kane, Fedun(or Falk), a forward prospect and we eat the difference between Stoner's and Kane's deal for this season and next. This deal adds scoring to ANA without any cap ramifications, doesn't hurt their D as neither Stoner or Montour are currently playing for the Ducks, while giving us 2 D for the rest of this season and with Montour a top 4 D in the future. It would also allow us to protect 7 forwards including Carrier, open a slot for Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander or Fasching in the NHL, and if we don't lose Stoner to expansion, maybe another decent physical D for 2017-2018. If we do lose him we pick up 3.25 in cap space.

I agree with you that Ducks may be a likely destination, but i think Sabres would need more then that. Montour could have a great future but i think Murray would need more of a sample size with the dmen coming back. Kane is a elite scorer.

I'm a big fan of Kane the hockey player, but yeah i think we should look to trade him but only for the right deal. We need to get a dmen that is at or near the level that Risto is at.

I like Alzner, but i think the issue with signing guys like him is durability. Yes, right now when he plays he is a great asset, but due to his style of play, he'll become a Josh Gorges sooner then later and guys on the open market not only get overpaid but also get a lot of term.

I'm not sure if he has missed a game since he came into the league, has he?

For those who want to keep Kane, I want you to ask yourself question; Will he re-sign here after next season if we keep him? This is really a two part (or even 4 part) question.  One, will we want him and at what price and two, will he want to stay and at what price?

The pay thing is a huge issue.  Kane currently makes $5.25 per season.  In today's NHL he needs to score at least 50 pts or score 30 goals to justify this salary, but no doubt he'll want a raise.  

In his first season here he scored 20 goals and added 15 assists in 65 games.  This season he has 12g 5a for 17 pts in 33 games.  Is this a $5 mill player?  I don't think so.  

I don't think he'll want to stay.  He is a left coast guy and I think he'll want to play in a bigger market.  He might even sign with LV for the money and nightlife.  

I also don't think we can afford to keep him long-term.  Sam and Jack will need to be re-signed that same off-season and we'll still have Moulson and Ennis on the books.  

Based on the fact he is overpaid, we can't afford to keep him and that it is doubtful he'll want to stay, what benefit is there to keeping him if we can trade him soon (or this summer) for a top 4 D which we desperately need?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

For those who want to keep Kane, I want you to ask yourself question; Will he re-sign here after next season if we keep him? This is really a two part (or even 4 part) question.  One, will we want him and at what price and two, will he want to stay and at what price?

The pay thing is a huge issue.  Kane currently makes $5.25 per season.  In today's NHL he needs to score at least 50 pts or score 30 goals to justify this salary, but no doubt he'll want a raise.  

In his first season here he scored 20 goals and added 15 assists in 65 games.  This season he has 12g 5a for 17 pts in 33 games.  Is this a $5 mill player?  I don't think so.  

I don't think he'll want to stay.  He is a left coast guy and I think he'll want to play in a bigger market.  He might even sign with LV for the money and nightlife.  

I also don't think we can afford to keep him long-term.  Sam and Jack will need to be re-signed that same off-season and we'll still have Moulson and Ennis on the books.  

Based on the fact he is overpaid, we can't afford to keep him and that it is doubtful he'll want to stay, what benefit is there to keeping him if we can trade him soon (or this summer) for a top 4 D which we desperately need?

He's been one of our better forwards the last 20 games and I believe his value is up. If we get a stupid good offer at the deadline I think you have to consider it. If it improves the club you do it.

There is no way Kane resigns here after next year. He's going to want better minutes on a top line and a better city for a younger guy

You never know, he seems to get along pretty well with his teammates. I could see something like that mattering to him. I'm sure that won't be the biggest factor, but I could see it being one nonetheless.

You never know, he seems to get along pretty well with his teammates. I could see something like that mattering to him. I'm sure that won't be the biggest factor, but I could see it being one nonetheless.

Well, FWIW, Paul Hamilton said on WGR this week that Kane "isn't the most well-liked guy in the room."

It will be interesting to see if they try to sign him to an extension after this season.  If he enters next season as an upcoming UFA then I think we have to assume he will get traded at the deadline next year.

Well, FWIW, Paul Hamilton said on WGR this week that Kane "isn't the most well-liked guy in the room."

It will be interesting to see if they try to sign him to an extension after this season.  If he enters next season as an upcoming UFA then I think we have to assume he will get traded at the deadline next year.

Is it necessary to be popular

Was Cookie Gilchrist well liked??

Was Reggie Jackson well liked??

Is Belichick well liked??

Is Aaron Rogers well liked??

I could go on and on but you get the point, is it even an issue or worth bringing up if not for his time with the Jets???

Did you hear it first hand?

I heard it, and that's exactly what he said. Of course, it's Hamilton, so depending on how you feel about him...

Anyway, Eichel also possibly tossed a little shade the other day, saying one of the things that he likes about playing with Reinhart is if he passes the puck he knows he'll get it back. Of course, he could just as easily have been referencing Foligno consistently passing it into his skates :lol:

Is it necessary to be popular

Was Cookie Gilchrist well liked??

Was Reggie Jackson well liked??

Is Belichick well liked??

Is Aaron Rogers well liked??

I could go on and on but you get the point, is it even an issue or worth bringing up if not for his time with the Jets???

Well, I generally agree that it isn't necessary to be well liked, but I was responding to the assertion that he is likely to re-sign because he gets along well with his teammates.  If Hamilton is correct, and he isn't particularly well liked, then that's a factor to consider in how likely it is that he re-signs with the Sabres.

Did you hear it first hand?

You mean from one of the Sabres, or did I hear Hamilton say it on WGR?  (The answer is the latter.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.