Keep or Trade Evander Kane

WildCard

Keep or Trade   

132 members have voted

1. 1. Answer it

• Keep
    • Trade

I understand.

I've been to numerous Amerks games this season, so I'm basing my opinion on what I've witnessed to date.

His WJC performance not withstanding, it's very clear in Rochester he'll need next season for sure. He may see a call up or 3, but nothing I've seen indicates he's even close to sticking next season.

I will concede the following year is a real stretch of an opinion based on how far out it is, but i revert back to what I see now with him.

However, I don't see him as a washout, I view him him as a 2nd/3rd line RW projection. In no way do i see him as top line material. Once again, this is just my early assessment on him from what I've seen.

Only time will tell if I'm right or wrong I reckon.

Good stuff. I'm hoping/expecting him to make a big jump between pro seasons 1 and 2, with regards to the physical side of things. Often a player's first pro season can come as a big shock. It'll be a big offseason for him.

Good stuff. I'm hoping/expecting him to make a big jump between pro seasons 1 and 2, with regards to the physical side of things. Often a player's first pro season can come as a big shock. It'll be a big offseason for him.

It is possible. But let me put it this way, less than 5% likely.

He won't be adding the necessary skills to use the muscle he "may" (and I stress may) add.

I see him as his brothers mini-me. He is awful puck possession wise along the boards. And it's not just physical, it's poor decision making.

He doesn't create his own space, he almost completely fails or refuses to use his obvious stick handling abilities in a constructive way, and by that I mean finding space to either create a chance for linemates or himself.

He floats around a lot.

He has a long, long (2 ALL seasons in my assessment) way to go in order to step in to the big clubs roster.

He's raw, it's going to take a bit to polish him ad a finished product. But I don't doubt the skill and drive are there. Wish he was faster though.

Edited by Lucky E

He won't be adding the necessary skills to use the muscle he "may" (and I stress may) add.

I see him as his brothers mini-me. He is awful puck possession wise along the boards. And it's not just physical, it's poor decision making.

He doesn't create his own space, he almost completely fails or refuses to use his obvious stick handling abilities in a constructive way, and by that I mean finding space to either create a chance for linemates or himself.

He floats around a lot.

He has a long, long (2 ALL seasons in my assessment) way to go in order to step in to the big clubs roster.

He's raw, it's going to take a bit to polish him ad a finished product. But I don't doubt the skill and drive are there. Wish he was faster though.

And I still feel that if, by long way to go, you mean two further AHL seasons after this one, before he is ready, that the assessment is off the mark. It would be rare for a player of his talents to need 3 post draft seasons in the AHL before making the jump. I think our evaluations of him as a player are a fair bit different, though. I'm rather impressed by what I have seen, nothing of which has caused me to doubt the high-praise talent evaluations by scouting groups leading up to his draft.

Wash-out was mentioned upthread, as a possibility. I would argue that if he were to need 3 seasons in the AHL, we'd be looking at inching towards wash-out territory.

And I still feel that if, by long way to go, you mean two further AHL seasons after this one, before he is ready, that the assessment is off the mark. It would be rare for a player of his talents to need 3 post draft seasons in the AHL before making the jump. I think our evaluations of him as a player are a fair bit different, though. I'm rather impressed by what I have seen, nothing of which has caused me to doubt the high-praise talent evaluations by scouting groups leading up to his draft.

Wash-out was mentioned upthread, as a possibility. I would argue that if he were to need 3 seasons in the AHL, we'd be looking at inching towards wash-out territory.

This is where I'm at. I would also suggest that even if he does need more time, he's not going to get it. Players of his pedigree simply don't spend that much time in the minors.

Couple more items on Kane:

- In evaluating his production this year, the 3 broken ribs have to be considered. He broke them on opening night (Oct 13), came back less than 4 weeks later (Nov. 9) and was clearly not himself for the following 3 weeks -- he had zero goals in the 10 games he played in in November. In the 23 games starting Dec. 3 -- about 7.5 weeks after breakin the ribs -- he has 12 goals -- which is a 40+ goal pace.

So while I appreciate that that is a selective look at his numbers, I also think it's fair to say that when healthy he's been better than a 20-25 goal scorer this year.

- As for Hamilton's report that Kane "isn't the most well liked" guy on the team -- while this could certainly be true, it's also quite possible that Hamilton has an axe to grind with Kane. When Kane missed practice last year after the NBA all-star game, Hamilton wildly exaggerated the negativity of Gionta's reaction (the exaggeration was exposed by the video of Hamilton interviewing Gionta about it). That episode seriously damaged Hamilton's credibility, IMHO, at least as regards Hamilton's descriptions of the team's attitude towards Kane.

I agree that he isn't much of a passer, but he does create offense for his teammates by (i) winning faceoffs and (ii) forechecking and crashing the net, which creates rebound opportunities for his linemates (I think Gionta has cashed a few of these).

Bad news sells in Buffalo. Ever listen to Schopp & Bulldog when something good happens, like the Bills hiring Sean McDermott after being labeled a tire fire by the media? They literally struggle to say anything.

$6MM per year might be a bit high, but I think he'll get more than he currently makes ($5.25MM).

I'd be very happy if this summer we see (i) him work out, get married and stay out of trouble all summer and (ii) the Sabres sign him to a $5.75MM x 5 years extension.

He floats around a lot.

c'mon with this man. You know all this to be fact because you saw him play a few games and the WJC doesn't count? Ok, sure.

If they want to sign Kane at $6 mil they could and still have money for other guys...

I don't think Jack and Sam will sign deals as big as most think they will. I'd be willing to bet it's in the $6.5-7 mil area for a few years before they have to pay them for unrestricted years. Their deals after next will be the big ones IMO but by then they should be multiple cup champs.

c'mon with this ###### man. You know all this to be fact because you saw him play a few games and the WJC doesn't count? Ok, sure.

If they want to sign Kane at $6 mil they could and still have money for other guys...

I don't think Jack and Sam will sign deals as big as most think they will. I'd be willing to bet it's in the $6.5-7 mil area for a few years before they have to pay them for unrestricted years. Their deals after next will be the big ones IMO but by then they should be multiple cup champs.

I'll second that.  Kane and Toews each signed RFA contracts at 6.3 per year.  That was in 2010. 

He floats around a lot.

I have yet to watch him play.

But, could any of his *poor* play be the *system* that Dan has been trying to instill  in both clubs?

I have yet to watch him play.

But, could any of his *poor* play be the *system* that Dan has been trying to instill in both clubs?

He gave the puck away multiple times last night. I mean flat out gave it away with an ill advised pass to a crowd of opposition in front of their net. He also lost the puck several times on the boards. He has gotten worse as the season goes on. After he gave it away the third time he coasted back into the zone with his head low. No sense of urgency to correct what he'd done. He gets no time on the PP. Doesn't look like a guy that's good to go but I've only seen the kid play 20 times or so in person so what the hell do I know?

And half the hockey world thought that would put Chicago in bigtime cap trouble.

That is correct. As for their UFA contracts, that is a different story. Must say though Chicao management continues to maintain a contending Cup team w/ a heavy amount invested in 2 players.

That is correct. As for their UFA contracts, that is a different story. Must say though Chicao management continues to maintain a contending Cup team w/ a heavy amount invested in 2 players.

depth and drafting have been great, starting to thin out tho it seems

Happens to every team that reaches the top.  An eventual decline.  The great franchises manage to keep their bottoming out at higher level.  As in not sucking as much when putting a contender back together. 

If only Sabres could have such problems.  Showing some ring rust after years of top shelf play and multiple Stanley Cups, but still being one of the top teams in the league.  Sigh!!!

I think we should keep him. Under another coach I bet his numbers get even better. Is he untouchable? No. If the right trade deal comes along (hopefully for a good D-man then deal him. I would like to see what our forwards could do under a different coach with a different system. What's Gerard Gallant up to? (besides getting paid by the Panthers for not coaching?) I would like Claude Julien as well if he gets roasted by Boston. Apparently Hitchcock (whom I would really like) intends to retire so I guess he's out. I like Kane's skills and I think if utilized properly could put up some decent numbers for us.

BTW,  Evander Kane is 113th in the league in points per game, and now the PIM leader on the Sabres - a dubious distinction.    I think he plays poorly more often than he plays well.   If his production remains relatively low like this, he needs to be gone next season. 

BTW,  Evander Kane is 113th in the league in points per game, and now the PIM leader on the Sabres - a dubious distinction.    I think he plays poorly more often than he plays well.   If his production remains relatively low like this, he needs to be gone next season.

So, he's averaging out to be the 4th best scoring player on a handful of teams and 5th best across the board, but that's "relatively low production?" :unsure:

That sort of production is solid 2nd liner. Getting it from a 3rd liner is fine IMHO.

Kane skates with the top 20% of the league, grinds with the top 20% of the league and scores goals with the top 20% of the league. Yes he's a douche. So is Patty Kane.

Yet there are people who wouldn't take him for a bucket of pucks. None of them are GMs.

Evander is far from perfect, but I think he may have become the most underrated hockey player on the internet

Edited by dudacek

Kane skates with the top 20% of the league, grinds with the top 20% of the league and scores goals with the top 20% of the league. Yes he's a douche. So is Patty Kane.

Yet there are people who wouldn't take him for a bucket of pucks. None of them are GMs.

Evander is far from perfect, but I think he may have become the most underrated hockey player on the internet

I just think he has no hockey sense and his hurt a ton. Plus I don't believe he resigns here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.