Re-sign Gionta?

GASabresIUFAN

Two guys who have been consistently good all season have been vets Moulson and Gionta.

Gionta is 3rd on the Sabres in goals with 7 (21 goal pace). Moulson is second with 8 (24 goal pace). They are tied for 5th with 13 pts.

We've discussed Moulson before, and most of us, including me, have been dismissive about re-signing Gionta, especially considering both Cap and expansion considerations. However, the more I watch him and with our continued need for both scoring and leadership, I'm beginning to wonder if he should be retained for another year or two.

Why am I considering changing my opinion? The goals scoring is obvious, but his line with Foligno and Larsson has been our only consistent line for about a year and a half. We need the stability, the shutdown checking line and the secondary scoring. He also doesn't seem to be slowing down. Despite his size, he is surprisingly physical. Basically, there is nothing not to like except his age.

Still expansion and cap consideration are important. What will it cost to keep him? If GMTM wants him back, when does he get re-signed and for how long? 1 year? 2? Does he remain the team Captain if re-signed?

I'm happy with how Gionta is playing this year, but I don't think I want him back next year.

MAYBE If one of the Sabres top 9 guys gets an injury this year that will take it into next year...AND you can get Gionta on a 1 year deal for under $2 million, then MAYBE.

But, as well as he is playing, he is NOT going to be a better player next year and he is likely to be losing a little bit as each month goes by.

I'd like to revisit this thread in March or April and see how he is playing then.

Players like Gionta get phased out of your lineup. Fasching, Baptiste or (gulp) Bailey should push him out of the lineup. None of them has done so to this point. One of them should by next season. A lot will depend on the expansion draft. If they lose a big salary to the draft and its a forward, (i guess only Moulson applies) then re-sign him. If they lose a young player with a low salary, I doubt they could re-sign him.

So far Gionta hasn't looked like he is out of gas -- i.e. he's looked much better IMHO than Legwand looked last year.

If he's able to keep up this pace for the entire season, I'd be fine with a 1-year deal at about $2MM.

If one of the kids from Rochester makes a push, it will be someone other than Gionta that gets displaced (again, assuming Gionta keeps up his current level of play).

This is the first time Gionta has been 100% healthy on a non-tank Sabres team.  He is skating faster, harder, and with a chip on his shoulder.  Without a doubt we should sign him to a one-year deal next year for depth and leadership - as long as he remains healthy and no one better is available on the open market. 

I doubt he gets signed for any more years.  I'm okay if he does, but I kind of feel he's accomplished what he came here to do.  Especially if we make the playoffs this year I think he can hang up the skates and be satisfied with what he did here.  I was not in favor of him getting the C but in retrospect it was perfect.

Players like Gionta get phased out of your lineup. Fasching, Baptiste or (gulp) Bailey should push him out of the lineup. None of them has done so to this point. One of them should by next season. A lot will depend on the expansion draft. If they lose a big salary to the draft and its a forward, (i guess only Moulson applies) then re-sign him. If they lose a young player with a low salary, I doubt they could re-sign him.

Moulson is protected by a NTC.  He can't go to Las Vegas.

The Sabres next season current cap outlook is as follows

Forwards: 8 under contract - Jack, Sam, ROR, Okposo, Kane, Ennis, Moulson & Deslauriers.  COST: 31 Million ====> add Carrier for 689K for 9 players at 31.65

RFA's (3) Foligno, Larsson, & Girgensons; UFA's (2) Grant and GIONTA

Defense: 4 under contract - Risto, Bogo, Gorges and McCabe. COST: 16 million  Add Guhle for a 5th D for another 703K

RFAs None ; UFAs (4) - Kulikov, Franson, Falk and Fedun.

Goalies - None

RFAs Lehner and Ullmark; UFA - Nilsson

At a minimum we have 12 players under contract for next season for 47 million (cap hit); GMTM might say with Carrier and Guhle; we have 14 players for 48.3.  

There is a very good chance that one or more of the 12 forwards under contract or RFAs won't be here next season.  Regardless, I think we have the money to give him a one year deal at $3 mill without endangering our ability to retain other players we need to re-sign for next season.  

However let's assume for arguments sake that that Guhle and Carrier make the team next season and that Nilsson, Lehner, Foligno, and Larsson are re-signed.

That puts us at 48.3 + $3 million (for Foligno), $3.5 (for Larsson), $4 (for Lehner) and $2 (Nilsson).  Now we are at 11 forwards, 5D, 2G for 60.8, with 4-5 roster spots left.  That leaves two forward spots including a 4th line center (with Nick being demoted to 13th forward), and 2-3 D slots including a depth player (or 2), and an opening for a 2nd line puck mover to replace Kulikov.  

Cost 4-5 mill for the puck moving D, 750K to 1mill each for the depth C and D. So with a 22 man roster add another 7 mill max for these 3 players which put us at 67.8 mill for 21 players. Under this scenario, $3 mill for Gionta would fit easily under the cap, which should move up some from this season's 73.

A couple of other notes:  I somewhat agree with an earlier post that said wait til later in the season to see if he worth keeping. Certainly, GMTM is not going to re-sign him now with 2/3 of the season left and expansion on the distant horizon.  However, his play YTD has made something that was highly unlikely at the start of the season, seem not only possible, but maybe a wise move by GMTM.  I also think there is a possible trade at the deadline and re-sign in the off-season possibility if he wants a shot at a Cup and we are out of it at the deadline.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.