Re-sign Gionta?

GASabresIUFAN

Why oh why would we ever form a roster around a coach that clearly has a year left at best?

You mean like a head coach?

It's not only Bylsma that wants to play that style, it's GMTM.   He wants to build a team like the Ducks and Kings, big bodies that can skate and cause havoc.    Look at the guys he's traded for and drafted... they all match that style of game.      

At the professional level it's not on the head coach to get these guys up for every game.     Screaming and yelling coming from a coach gets old very quickly... but if it comes froma peer who you go into battle with, then IMO it means a whole lot more.    They should be playing for each other, not for Dan, and that comes from having strong leaders in the locker room.  

It's not only Bylsma that wants to play that style, it's GMTM. He wants to build a team like the Ducks and Kings, big bodies that can skate and cause havoc. Look at the guys he's traded for and drafted... they all match that style of game.

Not really. Reinhart, Nylander, Gionta, Moulson, Franson, Ennis' extension, O'Reilly, Rodrigues...and more. Plenty of guys whose strength is not the muck game.

It's not only Bylsma that wants to play that style, it's GMTM.   He wants to build a team like the Ducks and Kings, big bodies that can skate and cause havoc.    Look at the guys he's traded for and drafted... they all match that style of game.      

At the professional level it's not on the head coach to get these guys up for every game.     Screaming and yelling coming from a coach gets old very quickly... but if it comes froma peer who you go into battle with, then IMO it means a whole lot more.    They should be playing for each other, not for Dan, and that comes from having strong leaders in the locker room.  

Suter plays a massively different style than Byslma. And Caryle plays a massively different, and less successful, style than Boudreau

Coach's drive inspiration. They keep the team focused, prepared, motivated, and believing they can win. Now showing up every single day since November has nothing to do with our leadership. It's not believing in our coach

Not really. Reinhart, Nylander, Gionta, Moulson, Franson, Ennis' extension, O'Reilly, Rodrigues...and more. Plenty of guys whose strength is not the muck game.

Not by choice.   I expect more than half those guys to be gone next season.    The 3rd and 4th lines will look drastically different when this team starts to win consistently.  

Suter plays a massively different style than Byslma. And Caryle plays a massively different, and less successful, style than Boudreau

Coach's drive inspiration. They keep the team focused, prepared, motivated, and believing they can win. Now showing up every single day since November has nothing to do with our leadership. It's not believing in our coach

I disagree about the styles, they're more similar than you think. 

You don't think Bylsma has tried to motivate these guys?   His voice is nearly gone every post-game interview.    They're beyond that.... the accountability needs to come from within the leadership group on this team, and it just hasn't been there.    

Not by choice.   I expect more than half those guys to be gone next season.    The 3rd and 4th lines will look drastically different when this team starts to win consistently.  

You don't think Bylsma has tried to motivate these guys?   His voice is nearly gone every post-game interview.    They're beyond that.... the accountability needs to come from within the leadership group on this team, and it just hasn't been there.    

How? The Kings literally lead the league in possession and we are last in the league in possession; how on earth are those similar styles?

With the same exact roster, Carlyle comes in and ruins the Ducks possession metrics, making them a crap team masked by being in a crap division. So, with the same roster that once was a possession monster and only changed their HC, they all the sudden play a massively different game. 

Oh come on. His voice is nearly gone? His voice has sounded like that even when he was in the broadcast booth, that's just his voice. Hell, there was one presser where he flat out admitted to not motivating his own damn team because he just didn't know how they felt. The guy has clearly lost the room 

Edited by WildCard

Not by choice. I expect more than half those guys to be gone next season. The 3rd and 4th lines will look drastically different when this team starts to win consistently.

You don't think Bylsma has tried to motivate these guys? His voice is nearly gone every post-game interview. They're beyond that.... the accountability needs to come from within the leadership group on this team, and it just hasn't been there.

1) There were viable "big banger" alternatives to most of those I listed.

2) I agree Bylsma plays a similar style to Sutter insofar as they're both trying to slow things down and limit events while working the boards, but the strategies are vastly different.

How? The Kings literally lead the league in possession and we are last in the league in possession; how on earth are those similar styles?

With the same exact roster, Carlyle comes in and ruins the Ducks possession metrics, making them a crap team masked by being in a crap division. So, with the same roster that once was a possession monster and only changed their HC, they all the sudden play a massively different game. 

Oh come on. His voice is nearly gone? His voice has sounded like that even when he was in the broadcast booth, that's just his voice. Hell, there was one presser where he flat out admitted to not motivating his own damn team because he just didn't know how they felt. The guy has clearly lost the room 

The Sabres 3rd and 4th lines are worst in the league, they're bringing the team dowd.   If you could break out possession numbers by each line, you'd see how much an anchor the 3rd and 4th lines are on this club.    Bring in guys who can skate, win battles and puck races, and their possession numbers will look drastically different.    They can't defend, they can't win battles, they can't win races... that's the remnants of the tank.

I haven't heard one player said anything remotely close to the idea of trying something completely different.    They only talk about execution, paying attention to detail, committing to the system.... why?  Because the system isn't the problem, and they know that.  

1) There were viable "big banger" alternatives to most of those I listed.

2) I agree Bylsma plays a similar style to Sutter insofar as they're both trying to slow things down and limit events while working the boards, but the strategies are vastly different.

1) Gionta and Moulson were brought in to lead the young kids.    Did they succeed?   Sort of.   Maybe they lead by example showing the young kids how to prepare and bring a consistent game... but they failed in other areas IMO.    Their time is up, the young kids have a few years under they're belts, they're ready to take over this team.... and that means replacing these aging players with young athletes who can win races and battles.

2) What's different about the strategies?   The strategy in both cases is to put pressure on the opposing D, wear them down and create turnovers.    It's a successful strategy if you have 3rd and 4th lines that can skate and create havoc. 

The Sabres 3rd and 4th lines are worst in the league, they're bringing the team dowd.   If you could break out possession numbers by each line, you'd see how much an anchor the 3rd and 4th lines are on this club.    Bring in guys who can skate, win battles and puck races, and their possession numbers will look drastically different.    They can't defend, they can't win battles, they can't win races... that's the remnants of the tank.

I haven't heard one player said anything remotely close to the idea of trying something completely different.    They only talk about execution, paying attention to detail, committing to the system.... why?  Because the system isn't the problem, and they know that.  

1) Show me, I don't believe you

2) Yeah, because we so often hear athletes speak their minds. Eichel flat out admitted he wasn't going to change how he plays after Byslma benched him for a turnover. What does that tell you?

1) Show me, I don't believe you

2) Yeah, because we so often hear athletes speak their minds. Eichel flat out admitted he wasn't going to change how he plays after Byslma benched him for a turnover. What does that tell you?

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=0&gameType=2&report=skatersummaryshooting&teamId=7&pos=F&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,30&sort=shotAttemptsRelPer60Minutes

Look at the bottom of that list....  Gionta, Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons, Grant,... D-Lo holy is he bad.     That's BUFs bottom 6 players with a SATRel60 of  -6% or worse.   

Compare that to a playoff team like the Capitals.   Their bottom 6 actually lead their team in SATRel60... that's what you want from your 3rd and 4th liners, they should be good possession players.    Their top offensive players are in the red because they're less inclined defensively... which is fine... as long as your bottom 6 can shut other teams down... which BUF's cannot.  

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=0&gameType=2&report=skatersummaryshooting&teamId=7&pos=F&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20162017&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,30&sort=shotAttemptsRelPer60Minutes

Look at the bottom of that list....  Gionta, Foligno, Larsson, Girgensons, Grant,...###### D-Lo holy ###### is he bad.     That's BUFs bottom 6 players with a SATRel60 of  -6% or worse.   

Compare that to a playoff team like the Capitals.   Their bottom 6 actually lead their team in SATRel60... that's what you want from your 3rd and 4th liners, they should be good possession players.    Their top offensive players are in the red because they're less inclined defensively... which is fine... as long as your bottom 6 can shut other teams down... which BUF's cannot.  

Moulson is second best on the team in that stat, whilst Eichel is nearly identical to Foligno...

Your analysis aint up to scratch

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.