GDT: Buffalo at Ottawa, 7:30 PM ET, 11/29/2016

Doohickie

That was one heluva paraphrase job. He didn't say that based soley on Jack's return. He said it based on all the players that are now back and healthy.

I only heard what the WGR guys commented on. Even so, as True posts, how is that any different? Everyone but Jack has been in the lineup at some point this season, and even with everyone but Jack back at the same time, he's been playing the same way. 'Eveeyone healthy' == Jack healthy Edited by WildCard

*shrug* The others have been back for at least a few games now.

But not at 100 percent or at least skating like they were. Did you guys even listen to it? 

Is Bylsma really the first coach in NHL history that has ever coach based on the players on the ice? I learn something new every day.

But not at 100 percent or at least skating like they were. Did you guys even listen to it?

Is Bylsma really the first coach in NHL history that has ever coach based on the players on the ice? I learn something new every day.

What team in the NHL ever has a team with everyone at 100%? Hell, what team in any sport has that? Edited by WildCard

I did not listen to it, but logically speaking, we've been healthy sans Jack at other times during the season and still played dead puck era hockey, so seems to me Jack is who Bylsma was waiting on.

To your second point, no, but he might be the first coach in NHL history to do a 180 on play style with anything less than a 100% healthy roster. Oh, right, he didn't reverse play style...he continued what was happening last year. 

I think the complaint here is that even with Jack out, Kaner out, ROR out, one could argue that our front lines were at least as good, and arguably better, than the tank teams and yet we were scoring at a lower rate than those historically bad teams, and that led to a less than 1 standings point per game clip which is pretty bad, still one of the worst teams in the league.  I think the argument is, if we were going to lose anyway, why play an ultra-conservative, clamp-down style instead of a more free-wheeling style that might not have won more games, but would have helped develop several of the younger players that were either up from the AHL, or regular NHLers filling higher level roles than they would otherwise fill.  So instead of telling Samson to be responsible, perhaps DD could have told him to go out and have some fun and score a few goals and don't worry so much if some come back at ya.

The counterpoint may be that with Jack, Evander and ROR all back in the lineup, the free-wheeling will come, but DD wanted to make sure the support staff would cover the stars' backs so when they did that, there wouldn't be a corresponding rise in goals against.  In short, instill responsible, boring, defensive hockey sense now, knowing that the flash would be injected later.

I'm not sure which would have been the better course of action.  Now that the top players are back, the goals for will almost certainly pick up.  If the boring hockey played behind those top guys means that the goals against stays low, we should start seeing a lot more wins and make a respectable (and ultimately successful) push for a playoff spot.

I think the complaint here is that even with Jack out, Kaner out, ROR out, one could argue that our front lines were at least as good, and arguably better, than the tank teams and yet we were scoring at a lower rate than those historically bad teams, and that led to a less than 1 standings point per game clip which is pretty bad, still one of the worst teams in the league.  I think the argument is, if we were going to lose anyway, why play an ultra-conservative, clamp-down style instead of a more free-wheeling style that might not have won more games, but would have helped develop several of the younger players that were either up from the AHL, or regular NHLers filling higher level roles than they would otherwise fill.  So instead of telling Samson to be responsible, perhaps DD could have told him to go out and have some fun and score a few goals and don't worry so much if some come back at ya.

The counterpoint may be that with Jack, Evander and ROR all back in the lineup, the free-wheeling will come, but DD wanted to make sure the support staff would cover the stars' backs so when they did that, there wouldn't be a corresponding rise in goals against.  In short, instill responsible, boring, defensive hockey sense now, knowing that the flash would be injected later.

I'm not sure which would have been the better course of action.  Now that the top players are back, the goals for will almost certainly pick up.  If the boring hockey played behind those top guys means that the goals against stays low, we should start seeing a lot more wins and make a respectable (and ultimately successful) push for a playoff spot.

Once you start playing a loose run-and-gun style game you develop bad habits... bad habits that you don't want to infect a young team.   Bylsma is trying to teach them the right way to play.     It's much easier to open it up a bit than it is to dial it back and play with some sense of defensive responsibility.     I'm OK with what he did while Jack was out.    Another angle to look at is that even when this team did open it for a few games and generate chances, they still couldn't find the back of the net.

We only know what we saw.  We don't know what would have happened had DD told the team to let it all hang out. 

What's important is the results he gets out of the team for the rest of the season.  They put in a lot of work, hopefully learning a solid, responsible game.  If the return of the top players adds goals without allowing more goals against, THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE FINE indeed.

That was one heluva paraphrase job. He didn't say that based soley on Jack's return. He said it based on all the players that are now back and healthy.

So he taught the players a different system because some of his players were injured and when he didn't work at all, he continued to teach them a system they weren't going to use when others returned. There is a difference between being like "be careful because we don't have so and so tonight" and "defense first and foremost, we will win this 1-0!" 

Here is the audio. I transcribed it for you. Your (anyones) take away might be different than mine

Jeremy: "Do you now go back to the way you want this team to play (after mentioning the return of Eichel, Kane, ROR)"

Bylsma "I think, initially you are going to work towards that for sure. I think we want to play a fast game, we want to play a quick game, we want to play a north game, and in the last 2, 3 weeks we've come off that and played a more responsible game. A more five man checking game. That let's you slow down the game a little bit with how you check, with how you play, and it slows down you offense in terms of the speed in which you can play and we definitely want to work towards being faster quicker team. A team that has to deal with speed on multiple fronts. Not just how we skate but how we move the puck. And that is something that we'll slowly integrate and work back into our game when we get everyone fully healthy and back in."

http://media.wgr550.com/a/117595656/11-29-sabres-head-coach-dan-bylsma-with-howard-and-jeremy.htm?&seek=9.069

Edited by LGR4GM

Maybe we'll have a big night and score 12. 

Why 12?

If we score 12 goals tonight, we can pull into a tie for last place in goal scoring in the eastern conference and not have to be sitting there by ourselves!! 

I knew the scoring was bad but didn't realize it was that bad... yikes

Carrier bumped to the 1st line with ROR & Okposo. Moulson dropped to the 4th with Grant and Girgs.

Our first two lines are going to be overflowing with energy tonight. Love it.

Encouraged by the shake up in the lines. Hopefully that will translate to some extended zone time and more chances.

Unless I'm getting my dates and injuries mixed up, DB's style change had as much to do with the loss of Kulikov and Bogo and not wanting to expose their weaker defense as it did with Eichel/Kane and ROR being out.

After 11 games Sabres were 5-4-2 and on an 89 point pace, I think we'd all agree that was on the lower end of acceptable.

After the 11th game the proverbial ###### hit the fan with more injuries, and with an AHL lineup and lack of scoring he clamped things down.

I think the question for tonight is with a healthy forward group and weak defense does he open things up or continue to lock down because of the D ?

EDIT: Bogo has been out since game #10, Kulikov since game #12, ROR missed games 13 and 15-19

Edited by Georgia Blizzard

Glad Jack is back.

It will probably be a few games until he is really back, but hey, so far so good.

The Sabres seem to play well against Ottawa this year and Jack will be an inspiration ... BIG WIN TONIGHT!!

GO SABRES!!

True. But I fully expect the rest of this team to look, tonight, like the Sabres did on October 27, 1991 & the Snarks looked on December 5, 2005. As deflating as it was to lose Eichel right before the season started, it'll be that uplifting.

Can't wait. :beer:

PS - For those curious, those dates were LaFontaine's 1st as a Sabres & Thornton's 1st as a Snark.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.