2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

With Antipin and Guhle coming next season - that's already a good start to turning over the D and creating a defensive core that can skate.

Heard that Makar is now being looked at a top 5 pick. I'd still like to get him or Liljegren. And to say they need 3 years isn't right. Hanifin played immediately, Provorov and Werenski both drafted in 2015 spent 1 more year in their program and both have had huge impact in NHL.

Chychrun played in rookie year. I'll bet Sergachev plays with MTL next year

Liljegren is already playing pro hockey.

If you are looking to make a trade - my target is Ryan Ellis from Nashville. The Preds aren't going to be able to protect one of their vet dmen.

With Antipin and Guhle coming next season - that's already a good start to turning over the D and creating a defensive core that can skate.

Heard that Makar is now being looked at a top 5 pick. I'd still like to get him or Liljegren. And to say they need 3 years isn't right. Hanifin played immediately, Provorov and Werenski both drafted in 2015 spent 1 more year in their program and both have had huge impact in NHL.

Chychrun played in rookie year. I'll bet Sergachev plays with MTL next year

Liljegren is already playing pro hockey.

If you are looking to make a trade - my target is Ryan Ellis from Nashville. The Preds aren't going to be able to protect one of their vet dmen.

I wouldn't count on it. With NHL players possibly being banned from the Olympics I think that changes stuff. Plus just generally I don't like the idea of penciling in guys without contracts.

The problem is that we need D help next year. We can't have another so-so year. We need to be Toronto. In reality I think we need to be pushing 100 points a season very soon. Plus we all remember what Myers rookie season was like. I'd rather trade the pick for a solid player that has potential upside, personally.

Have you seen any such deals recently? I agree that I'd love to see another Lydman type deal, but I can't remember an off-season one recently, but I haven't looked at all of the draft day deals lately. We need to make sure any new D can skate. Fielding a group with human pillars like Gorges and Franson can't be repeated.

At the way things are going, the top D in this draft Liljegren is becoming a real possibility.

Depends on the coach. If we keep Bylsma, and expect it to work, we need defensemen who can pass and make quick decisions far more than defensemen who can skate. Franson can think and pass, but can't skate. Bogo can skate, but can't think or pass. Kulikov can skate and pass, but can't think. Franson has been by far the most effective of the three, and that's because his strengths suit what Bylsma asks his Dmen to focus in with transition play.

And Gorges? Well, he can't do much of anything :lol:

I wouldn't count on it. With NHL players possibly being banned from the Olympics I think that changes stuff. Plus just generally I don't like the idea of penciling in guys without contracts.

I'm skeptical a guy is going to turn down (double?) his salary due to the Olympic ban.

Depending on how today goes the Sabres could finish anywhere from 23rd to 26th. The only way we finish 26th is a loss and Det win. Back to tank mode I guess.

Something like this has to be plan A for GMTM this offseason, hopefully part of a two-part plan, the other half of which is replacing Bylsma. That's a successful offseason, for me.

Me too.

I will say that Toronto is having a good season with a pretty average d corps.

Injuries, or a lack of, have had a huge impact on their season.

Toronto is a playoff team with a weak D because they have a real coach.

CT beat me to it.  I think better coaching would've made more of a difference to the Sabres this year than better health.

That post-bye week meltdown was unforgivable. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.