2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

When all is said and done, I think maybe this guy, Callan Foote (Adam's son) may be our best bet...sounds just what we need back on D...

"...He uses his size to gain leverage against other players, though he isn't an overly physical force..."

Sounds a bit like Justin Falk in that respect.  I wouldn't describe Falk as overly physical but he does seem to use his size appropriately.

If the Sabres win the lottery I'm hoping they sell the No. 1 pick to a team in the  5th-8th spot with a throw in of a D-prospect that GMTM finds to be very promising.

The net result being this years highest D-man picked in the draft and a prospect that is a bit more seasoned. 

Callan Foote video: https://youtu.be/oAfodb8lSw4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hhRg-QQycY

If the Sabres win the lottery I'm hoping they sell the No. 1 pick to a team in the  5th-8th spot with a throw in of a D-prospect that GMTM finds to be very promising.

The net result being this years highest D-man picked in the draft and a prospect that is a bit more seasoned.

Agreed that would be awesome imo

Two words ...

Nico. Hischier.

He won't be available when the Sabres draft in the 1st round.

It is very likely that whoever wins the lotto (my prediction is Colorado, maybe Florida) take him 1st overall.

I read that Nolan Patrick has spent substantial time on the injury list for 5 of his past 6 hockey seasons. Don't see how you could take him over Nico at this point.

Risto came in pretty fast, guess it depends... though seasoning seems about right.

Very little was expected of Risto the first year or two; he was allowed to learn the game at the NHL level without too much pressure.  I think the best you can hope for with a Dman drafted this year would be a year in the A (once he's done with juniors).

Probably right.

But it also seems foolish to get into the business of mortgaging the future for more immediate results.

You don't trade it for Brent Seabrook.

You trade it for a guy who is what Seabrook was 10 years ago.

Given the age of our core, that's maximizing our future.

And in the wheel of NHL trade talks that never turn into trades, you can't get Seabrook 10 years ago from the #9 pick in a so-so draft. 

If so-so means worst since 99, then yes

Maybe it's because I haven't been paying as much attention to prospects this year (I kinda sorta didn't think I'd have to...), but I'll be surprised if it ends up notably worse than the Yakupov draft as far as actual NHL results go.

The who now?

Just saying trades for highly thought of young players probably get talked about all the time, but never actually happen because GMs never agree on value. GM with the player sets the price higher than he thinks other GMs are willing to pay because he doesn't actually want to make the trade, and other GMs are, in fact, unwilling to pay said price.

Just saying trades for highly thought of young players probably get talked about all the time, but never actually happen because GMs never agree on value. GM with the player sets the price higher than he thinks other GMs are willing to pay because he doesn't actually want to make the trade, and other GMs are, in fact, unwilling to pay said price.

I lost or never had the thread. I'm even more confused now.

Probably right.

But it also seems foolish to get into the business of mortgaging the future for more immediate results.

I agree with dudacek, was going to post something to this effect.

And in the wheel of NHL trade talks that never turn into trades, you can't get Seabrook 10 years ago from the #9 pick in a so-so draft.

And this is rather troubling, as GMTM absolutely has to find a way to add substantial talent to the d-corps this offseason.

I lost or never had the thread. I'm even more confused now.

I got it now. 

And this is rather troubling, as GMTM absolutely has to find a way to add substantial talent to the d-corps this offseason.

Welp.

Yup. Which is why I keep doubling back to the idea that at least one of his acquisitions has to be somebody who is undervalued by the league, but capable of blossoming in a different situation/opportunity. Which, unfortunately, is not yet something Murray has demonstrated the ability to do.

I got it now. 

Something something getting old/slow joke.... :p

Who might one of those players be?

Not sure I know enough about teams' bottom pairs or pipelines these days to toss names out there. I was going to say Dumba, but apparently he's getting solid top-4 minutes this year for the first time. Past examples could be someone like Stralman--traded a couple times for mid-late round picks, cheap free agent pickup with the Rangers before blossoming there and eventually being a stud in Tampa. Not to re-litigate Pysyk's value, but that's the type of move we need (in addition to another one)...we target a guy who is underused/appreciated by his current team and can play well in an expanded role. The Ducks are an obvious team to talk about, but rather than prospects, I'm thinking more along the lines of someone who has been in the league for a couple years but has yet to emerge for one reason or another.

I wonder if Steve Y likes Slater Koekkoek. Word is out of Tampa that fans are pissed because Cooper refused to play Marchessault last season and he broke out with 30 G on Florida this one. He is also not finding time for slater this year, because he'd rather play Sustr. Maybe Steve also dumps Koekkoek, or maybe he's learned his lesson

Jake Gardiner fits the profile of the type of trade we're talking about.

Justin Schultz, sorta.

But higher-pedigree guys move too, for higher prices:

Dougie Hamilton, Griffin Reinhart - risky deals, for sure.

Ideally I'd want the modern equivalent of Sekera for a second or Lydman for a third.

But I'd easily give up the first for the right guy.

Gardiner is the perfect example. Good call. I'd happily roll the dice on Koekkoek. If nothing else, he's got a great name. My hope is we can acquire a guy like this (and have it work, of course) and one "name" guy. Sprinkle in Guhle, lock Gorges in the press box, and dump Bogo and bring back Franson cheap to play 3rd pair, or staple Bogo there if we can't dump him. That's my ideal "could happen in reality" offseason for the blue line.

Gardiner is the perfect example. Good call. I'd happily roll the dice on Koekkoek. If nothing else, he's got a great name. My hope is we can acquire a guy like this (and have it work, of course) and one "name" guy. Sprinkle in Guhle, lock Gorges in the press box, and dump Bogo and bring back Franson cheap to play 3rd pair, or staple Bogo there if we can't dump him. That's my ideal "could happen in reality" offseason for the blue line.

Something like this has to be plan A for GMTM this offseason, hopefully part of a two-part plan, the other half of which is replacing Bylsma. That's a successful offseason, for me.

Jake Gardiner fits the profile of the type of trade we're talking about.

Justin Schultz, sorta.

But higher-pedigree guys move too, for higher prices:

Dougie Hamilton, Griffin Reinhart - risky deals, for sure.

Ideally I'd want the modern equivalent of Sekera for a second or Lydman for a third.

But I'd easily give up the first for the right guy.

Have you seen any such deals recently? I agree that I'd love to see another Lydman type deal, but I can't remember an off-season one recently, but I haven't looked at all of the draft day deals lately. We need to make sure any new D can skate. Fielding a group with human pillars like Gorges and Franson can't be repeated.

At the way things are going, the top D in this draft Liljegren is becoming a real possibility.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.