2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Tankathon.com has a good simulator with all the percentages. Fuhr is correct we can draft 1-3 if we win the lottery or 6-9. LV gets the same odds as the 3rd worst team which is about 30%.

I worry about Patrick. He reminds me of Patrick Stefan. Talented guy with a long injury history. I also worry about us winning the lottery. GMTM would likely take one of the 3 centers and then we become the Edm Oilers before McJesus. I'd prefer to stay at 6-9 and get Makar, Liljegren or Valmaki.

Yep, this will be the year they win the lottery because this is the year there's nobody there worth taking.  If it's me and I win I probably take Hischier though I'd rather trade down with someone for a roster player, and their #1 pick next year in a substantially better dra

No one worth taking? sure there isn't a generational player at the top of the draft Patrick and Hischier are both excellent prospects that the Sabres would be lucky to get. Even at 6, 7 or 8 they will get a quality player.

This draft feels like a guarantee that someone outside the top 2 is going to become the best player in it, like 2014 or 2012, but nobody has any idea which player that is yet (otherwise he WOULD go top 2). 

We need to make sure we draft the William Nylander/Hampus Lindholm/Filip Forsberg, and not the Michael Dal Colle/Jake Virtanen/Griffin Reinhart.

No one worth taking? sure there isn't a generational player at the top of the draft Patrick and Hischier are both excellent prospects that the Sabres would be lucky to get. Even at 6, 7 or 8 they will get a quality player.

my guess at the Sabres draft board is:

1) Hischier 

2) Patrick

3) Makar

4) Liljegren

5) Viilamaki

6) Heiskanen  

Though the under 18s could influence the order of pickcs 4, 5 and 6

This draft feels like a guarantee that someone outside the top 2 is going to become the best player in it, like 2014 or 2012, but nobody has any idea which player that is yet (otherwise he WOULD go top 2). 

We need to make sure we draft the William Nylander/Hampus Lindholm/Filip Forsberg, and not the Michael Dal Colle/Jake Virtanen/Griffin Reinhart.

This has the ring of truth to it. For whatever it's worth, I trust Murray a lot more to make the right pick there than to acquire NHL defensemen.

I have no frickin' idea how this draft is getting sorted out, in terms of order/sequence of selection.

Please, someone: 'Splain it to me.

Cowawado has a 17.9% chance of winning. Vegas & the Desert Dogs have the 3rd best odds. (Vegas officially slotted at 3 prelottery & Yotes @ 4. Sabres have 6th best odds at 7.6% chance. Odds decrease down to Garth's Goobers w/ a 0.9% chance of winning.

3 draws. Anybody can win. Odds adjusted for 2nd & 3rd draws based on which team is no longer in the lottery. Sabres wii draft 1,2, 3, 6, 7, 8, or 9 depending on who wins each round. Sabres have ~23% chance of winning. Most likely be be 6 or 7.

Odds per tankathon.com.

I've been hyping Makar for a few months now. TSN mock draft looks like it could happen

http://www.tsn.ca/patrick-goes-no-1-in-tsn-s-post-season-mock-draft-1.720569

I'm not sold on Makar because he is small and plays in a 2nd rate league. Well he could be the 2nd coming of Karlsson, he could also be a bust. I think if you draft in the top 4-5 and Liljigren is there you should take him just because he is a safer choice with IMPO the same upside.

if we draft 7-9 then I say take Valimaki and wait the 2 years for him to be ready.

Edited by LGR4GM

Any thoughts on who is going to be this years dropper?

My concern with Maker is that he gets drafted quite highly because of the potential for him to be Karlsson - if that makes sense. Without Karlsson in the league, I thin he goes mid-teens (where Karlssonw as drafted unsurprisingly).

Any thoughts on who is going to be this years dropper?

My concern with Maker is that he gets drafted quite highly because of the potential for him to be Karlsson - if that makes sense. Without Karlsson in the league, I thin he goes mid-teens (where Karlssonw as drafted unsurprisingly).

He doesnt have to reach the level of Karlsson in order to be a great player. I dont worry about his size at all. There are plenty of dmen who are slightly under 6' who are extremely important to their team.

Between Liljegren and Makar, I'll trust Murray to figure out which one is better but I guessing that if the Sabres dont move up into a lottery position that the decision between the 2 will be made for him as one will be drafted prior to the Sabres slot.

I'm not sold on Makar because he is small and plays in a 2nd rate league. Well he could be the 2nd coming of Karlsson, he could also be a bust. I think if you draft in the top 4-5 and Liljigren is there you should take him just because he is a safer choice with IMPO the same upside.

if we draft 7-9 then I say take Valimaki and wait the 2 years for him to be ready.

he is 3/4 of an inch shorter than Liljegren. Its a 2nd rate league but guys like Fabbro and Jost came out of the same tier last season. I will also caution that the guys that watch Liljegren a lot seem to not be that high on him (6th in international skaters). Here is the scouting report that really makes me question him as a top pick over Makar - http://draftineurope.blogspot.ca/

though i will say that watching him at the U18s could make me rank him over Makar once again (or fall below the 2 Finnish Dmen)

Edited by Crusader1969

he is 3/4 of an inch shorter than Liljegren. Its a 2nd rate league but guys like Fabbro and Jost came out of the same tier last season. I will also caution that the guys that watch Liljegren a lot seem to not be that high on him (6th in international skaters). Here is the scouting report that really makes me question him as a top pick over Makar - http://draftineurope.blogspot.ca/

though i will say that watching him at the U18s could make me rank him over Makar once again (or fall below the 2 Finnish Dmen)

I just wish Makar had played in a better league. His size only mildly bothers me. He is supposedly 5'11" and that's fine, put him with a decent sized partner (McCabe/Risto) and he will be fine. The issue is will that skill translate. If I play varsity kids in a soccer I will own them. If I play college kids... not so much. So where does he fall. That is the hard thing to ascertain at this point. 

Scouting report on Makar http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/04/07/cale-makar-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-9/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.