2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Good thing we traded our extra 2015 picks and have extra ones for this year.  :doh:

I guess the bright side is that the draft is unpredictable and maybe we can still find a great player in a weak draft.

they said the 2012 draft class was weak, but can you imagine if Forsberg had fallen one more slot to us instead of Grigorenko.  

they said the 2012 draft class was weak, but can you imagine if Forsberg had fallen one more slot to us instead of Grigorenko.  

There were a few of us on the board that were crazy about Forsberg that year and I remember being crushed when Washington took him right before us.  (And then again when they traded him to Nashville for basically nothing and we weren't in on that.)

The board also wanted Nichushkin over Risto in 2013 so sometimes we're way off with this stuff too.

There were a few of us on the board that were crazy about Forsberg that year and I remember being crushed when Washington took him right before us.  (And then again when they traded him to Nashville for basically nothing and we weren't in on that.)

The board True also wanted Nichushkin over Risto in 2013 so sometimes we're way off with this stuff too.

TBF I thought RoR and Drouin sucked, and that Grigorenko would be the next Malkin

Edited by WildCard

Can't draft for need, but you can trade the pick for need. Trade our pick in a package to acquire a top 4 Dman right now, and if that can't get done, trade down to where a Dman is BPA if that's not the case where our pick initially sits.

Cal Foote from Kelowna looks like he's gonna be a good pro. Seen him a couple times and he's looked smooth.

Off topic.. The second period vs Vancouver was a slug fest. 4 fights including a ho hum effort from the Sabres Devante Stephens.

Cal Foote from Kelowna looks like he's gonna be a good pro. Seen him a couple times and he's looked smooth.

Off topic.. The second period vs Vancouver was a slug fest. 4 fights including a ho hum effort from the Sabres Devante Stephens.

How's his skating?

FWIW, I think Hischier is also my pick if we magically win the lottery this year.

The only way the Sabres draft Foote is if they trade back onto the mid to late first round. He isn't a lottery pick (1-14) IMHO

How's his skating?

FWIW, I think Hischier is also my pick if we magically win the lottery this year.

He didn't flash any real speed but he looked smooth in the games I saw him play, joining the rush, never really getting beat by faster skaters in the defensive end.

His brother Nolan looks like he might be a real stud. Just turned 16 in November. Scored a goal, had a fight and an assist in the game I just saw. Also, scored the last time I caught them play. Kids good!

The only way the Sabres draft Foote is if they trade back onto the mid to late first round. He isn't a lottery pick (1-14) IMHO

yeah, you would know better than I. I think he'll be a good pro but i'm not advacating a top ten pick on him just yet.

Unfortunately, that is inaccurate, isn't it? Because I believe that Vegas gets the third lottery slot. Right now Arizona and Colorado are tank-Sabres level bad, and will not be caught. With Vegas in that third spot, the Sabres' only chance at a high lottery position is being 4th-worst. Which is not ideal for someone hoping for a top 3 pick. 

Maybe the luck finally does swing our way this time, though. It would be fitting, in a draft that is dwarfed by the ones that surround it.

I thought Vegas was guaranteed a 4th slot, but is in the lottery for first 3.

Glad to see you are aboard the Hischier train.

Most have him rated at #2, so we better win the lottery.

Which is first ... the expansion, or the entry, draft?

expansion draft is june 18-20 with selections announced june 21st.

entry draft is june 23-24.

He didn't flash any real speed but he looked smooth in the games I saw him play, joining the rush, never really getting beat by faster skaters in the defensive end.

His brother Nolan looks like he might be a real stud. Just turned 16 in November. Scored a goal, had a fight and an assist in the game I just saw. Also, scored the last time I caught them play. Kids good! yeah, you would know better than I. I think he'll be a good pro but i'm not advacating a top ten pick on him just yet.

Yes, his younger brother is a very exciting prospect. He's in the 2019 draft I think, which is crazy.

I thought Vegas was guaranteed a 4th slot, but is in the lottery for first 3.

Vegas gets the same odds as the 3rd last place team but is in lottery, pick isn't guaranteed 99% sure this is correct

Here is a name you will see rocketing up the draft rankings. Nick Suzuki from Owen Sound (OHL). Started th year last first or 2nd rounder - now seeing him as a late lottery pick. Smaller kid 5'11 180 lbs but has been on fire. With 1 game to go is currently 4th in OHL scoring.

Yes, his younger brother is a very exciting prospect. He's in the 2019 draft I think, which is crazy.

Vegas gets the same odds as the 3rd last place team but is in lottery, pick isn't guaranteed 99% sure this is correct

Here is a name you will see rocketing up the draft rankings. Nick Suzuki from Owen Sound (OHL). Started th year last first or 2nd rounder - now seeing him as a late lottery pick. Smaller kid 5'11 180 lbs but has been on fire. With 1 game to go is currently 4th in OHL scoring.

Nick Suzuki and Cody Glass both have an ungodly number of points in the CHL this year.  (Glass is at 94 in the WHL.)  I could see them finding their way into the first half of the 1st round.

Watching the Sabres all season, along with what Marner is doing for the Leafs, makes me wish we had a super-skilled speedster to put with Jack.  We need someone that can keep up with him and actually set him up for chances because his shot is lethal.  Reinhart is skilled but not super fast and Kane is fast but doesn't do a great job setting Jack up.  Maybe Suzuki is our Marner?

I'll be completely floored if the Sabres don't draft a Dman with their top pick. Draft the right guy and he can play a major role in 18/19.

liljegren's season ended yesterday in a 6-5 loss in Swedish j20 play-offs. He did have 3 assists though.

Finished the series with 1G and 4A in 3 games

Cale Makar is playing in the AJHL playoffs. 1G 3A in 2 games.

Valimaki regular season with Tri-City comes to an end tonight. 19G and 42A, including 1G 1A halfway through tonight's game.

Edited by Crusader1969

Nick Suzuki and Cody Glass both have an ungodly number of points in the CHL this year.  (Glass is at 94 in the WHL.)  I could see them finding their way into the first half of the 1st round.

Watching the Sabres all season, along with what Marner is doing for the Leafs, makes me wish we had a super-skilled speedster to put with Jack.  We need someone that can keep up with him and actually set him up for chances because his shot is lethal.  Reinhart is skilled but not super fast and Kane is fast but doesn't do a great job setting Jack up.  Maybe Suzuki is our Marner?

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why they picked Nylander.

He can't dipsy-doodle like Marner or Patrick Kane, but he is fast, he can think the game at Jack's level and his hands are sublime.

I think we have to go D, even if it means sliding up or down.

Ideally, I'm trading that pick  in a package for a young defenceman whose team might have trouble fitting him into the pay scale because of his next contract or the guys around him.

Fowler, Vatanen, Justin Faulk (Pesce, Slavin and Hanifan all come due at the end of next year), Ryan Murray, Matt Dumba (not a fan personally, but he fits the profile) — there are guys like that out there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.