2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

The most in depth analysis of the OHL crop of draft eligibles.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/11/preliminary-mediascout-poll-for-2017.html

To be hon st, not a banner year for he OHL. Tippett is my guy but I believe he will be gone before Sabres draft barring they win a lottery spot.

Hague could be an interesting option if the Sabres are picking around 10. (My prediction).

I see a lot of Strome and Entwistle (bulldogs season tickets) and would be surprised if they go higher than 20 overall. Strome certainly can score but I still worry about his skating. I will say much better than last year but still isn't a strength. Though the analysts quoted seem to be more comfortable with it than me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a soft spot for defenders from Finland so ... 

Juuso Valimaki, 6'2" 201lbs. He currently has 32 points in 30WHL games this season. Ranked anywhere from 15-27, his stock is rising. If we miss the playoffs and don't win a lottery spot, this guy would be near the top of my list. 

http://editorinleaf.com/2016/11/02/toronto-maple-leafs-juuso-valimaki/

Also he is #6 and I feel like we will need a new #6 for this team. 

Edited by LGR4GM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unless the Sabres pick in that top 3 or 4 picks, the player that i keep eyeing is Nic Hague. He's a big 6'6 dmen, plays in the OHL, is tough and physical in his own end but also likes to join the rush and play the PP. Scouts consider him a stay at home d-men but he is above average skater for his size and could provide more offense then your typical 6'6 dmen. Could be a Colton Parayko type at the NHL level.

Certainly wouldn't be drafting for need, but in the (admittedly limited) games that I saw Nico Hischier play in at the WJC, he was a dominant player.  He dictated play and drove hard to the net.  Was the highest scoring draft-eligible player at the tournament.

HISCHIER!!

He is the 2017 draft's ...

FUCALE!!

Oh, yeah!!  I am beating that drum ...  :flirt:

The fact that this is the conversation on January 15, 2017, is reason enough to fire Bylsma and Murray.

Also, FWIW, if we're in a position to draft Hischier, I hope we take it.  We're about the least dynamic team in the world right now.

They say a team reflects its coach. Maybe the Sabres also reflect their brain trust, which is a line of Terry Pegula at center, Tim Murray on the right and Dan Bylsma on the left. As Trump once leaned into a mic and said: Low Energy.

Is Russ Brandon in net or is he over charging for nachos, beer, and hot dogs at one of the snack bars? Gouging drivers for parking? No, I bet he's one of the ushers that busts people for moving up a few rows even though the section is mostly vacant. He's definitely THAT guy.

Edited by Drunkard

I think the draft page can happen no matter where the Sabres are projected to draft but I would agree it's a sad state if we are targeting a top 5 guy like Hischier.

Hischier had another big game tonight 13 shots on net and a goal and 2 assists

If you are looking at dmen the 3 who stand out to me because of their offensive capabilities are Liljegrin who is starting to drop out of the top 5 in draft rankings, VälimäkI (who has already been discussed here) and Cale Makar who plays in the AJHL. MAkar is a cdn kid going the same route as Fabbro did last season. He will play in the NCAA next year. In sept he was thought of being a 2nd rounder but has skyrocketed and now has the potential to be a top 10 pick and has been compared to Karlsson at the same age.

Hockey prospect.com January ranking:

https://www.hockeyprospect.com/2017-nhl-draft-rankings-hockeyprospect-com-top-75-prospects-january/

my top guys are Hischier - who looked amazing at the WJC and plays both RW and C.

Owen Tippett - elite goal scorer for Mississauga

Eeli Tolvanen who is another skilled sniper

And the 3 dmen mentioned above.

I'm a pretty new Sabres fan. I've lived in Texas my whole life but for the past few months I've really been getting into Sabres hockey. From everything I've read and researched, the guys I would want are Hischier, Tippett or Makar. Seems that this team really needs some help on defense. I've got a few questions though as a new hockey fan.

1. What's the average success rate on top 10 picks? Is it closer to the MLB draft where the top 10 can be a complete crap-shoot or to the NFL where a decent amount of top 10 picks wind up making some kind of relatively useful production during their career?

2. How does this draft class (specifically the top 10) compare to the past couple years? Are any of these guys Eichel, Reinhart, Matthews or Marner caliber?

3. How common is it for a guy to be drafted top 10 and play significant time in the NHL the very next season?

4. What leagues (OHL, WHL, etc.) are the most respected and best for producing great future players?

1. What's the average success rate on top 10 picks? Is it closer to the MLB draft where the top 10 can be a complete crap-shoot or to the NFL where a decent amount of top 10 picks wind up making some kind of relatively useful production during their career?

2. How does this draft class (specifically the top 10) compare to the past couple years? Are any of these guys Eichel, Reinhart, Matthews or Marner caliber?

3. How common is it for a guy to be drafted top 10 and play significant time in the NHL the very next season?

4. What leagues (OHL, WHL, etc.) are the most respected and best for producing great future players?

1. Appearing in the NHL atleast once is like 100%. Between 1995 and 2005, 78% of the top 10 picks appeared in minimum of 100 games.

2. The draft is considered weak. The top 2 picks, Nico and Nolan Patrick (related to former Sabre James Patrick) could be stars. Some others have risen and what not but draft drops off again around 5-6 and then takes another big drop around 12.

3. I think like 1-3 guys each year stay up. Last years draft, which was considered a good draft, had 4 players from top-10 on opening night rosters.

4. I think OHL produces the best talent. Not sure if thats statistically accurate, but in the last few years they've killed it. But they are all good in my opinion, including NCAA.

Edited by Briere48

I believe that Patrick-Hischier is going to look to some degree like Strome-Marner a few years down the road. If we wind up with a choice I want Nico. I have no real evidence, just a feeling about Nolan is all. My hopes for the Sabres: Lose enough to get a new, possession-oriented coach next season, get enough lottery luck to draft 2nd or 3rd so we don't have to go against the grain at pick 1, take Nico, trade Nylander and some stuff for a good puck-moving defenseman, do our expansion draft thing, and make moves after everything opens back up and Vegas has their roster.

Who was a better juniors player between Hischier and Ehlers? And where are they relative to Drouin?

Heischer and Ehlers are pretty much the same ... outstanding.

Both dominated the Q and are / were special to watch here in Halifax, although I have not been to many games this year, so I did see Ehlers more often.

Drouin was even better than the other two, but only because he plays a different game ... he skated circles (literally) around everybody and his stick handling was fantastic and that shot.  He is really coming around in Tampa this season.

I would trade anyone on the Sabres roster, or in the system, except Eich, for Drouin ... Risto ... yes ... Samson ... yes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.