2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Heischer and Ehlers are pretty much the same ... outstanding.

Both dominated the Q and are / were special to watch here in Halifax, although I have not been to many games this year, so I did see Ehlers more often.

Drouin was even better than the other two, but only because he plays a different game ... he skated circles (literally) around everybody and his stick handling was fantastic and that shot.  He is really coming around in Tampa this season.

I would trade anyone on the Sabres roster, or in the system, except Eich, for Drouin ... Risto ... yes ... Samson ... yes.

I don't think I'd go that far, but he'd be a fantastic piece for sure. Though I might like Ehlers even more than Drouin right now. I'm glad to hear that Nico is at their level, this draft could use as many dynamic players as possible. 

Draft class overall is weak, I read somewhere that it's similar to 2012 talent -- a good draft to trade 1st round picks -- might see more of those move at trade deadline vs. years past

Draft class overall is weak, I read somewhere that it's similar to 2012 talent -- a good draft to trade 1st round picks -- might see more of those move at trade deadline vs. years past

Maybe so, but have a look at that draft and there are some excellent players from it - especially dmen

MURRAY, REILLY, Lindholm, Dumba and Trouba all went in the top 10 Where would Sabres be if you added 1 of them to roster?

I won't assume Sabres win a lottery position so will (likely) drafting 4 to 10. I believe the Sabres will end up with a huge piece of the puzzle for the rebuild.

nhllotterysimulator.com allows you to simulate the draft lottery outcome as many times as you would like. Took a little time and simulated it 100 times. As of right now, the Sabres would have the 4th highest lottery odds behind the Avalanche, Coyotes and the Jets. Out of 100 simulations, the Sabres won the 1st pick 14 times (2nd to Avalanche's 26 times). They won the 2nd pick 8 times (tied for 5th most with the Islanders). And they won the 3rd pick 9 times (tied with the Stars, Red Wings and Coyotes for 4th most). Overall, it played out like the odds would suggest. The Sabres won a top 3 pick the 4th most of any team with 31/100. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out and if we get some lottery luck when/if that time comes.

nhllotterysimulator.com allows you to simulate the draft lottery outcome as many times as you would like. Took a little time and simulated it 100 times. As of right now, the Sabres would have the 4th highest lottery odds behind the Avalanche, Coyotes and the Jets. Out of 100 simulations, the Sabres won the 1st pick 14 times (2nd to Avalanche's 26 times). They won the 2nd pick 8 times (tied for 5th most with the Islanders). And they won the 3rd pick 9 times (tied with the Stars, Red Wings and Coyotes for 4th most). Overall, it played out like the odds would suggest. The Sabres won a top 3 pick the 4th most of any team with 31/100. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out and if we get some lottery luck when/if that time comes.

Unfortunately, that is inaccurate, isn't it? Because I believe that Vegas gets the third lottery slot. Right now Arizona and Colorado are tank-Sabres level bad, and will not be caught. With Vegas in that third spot, the Sabres' only chance at a high lottery position is being 4th-worst. Which is not ideal for someone hoping for a top 3 pick. 

Maybe the luck finally does swing our way this time, though. It would be fitting, in a draft that is dwarfed by the ones that surround it.

Unfortunately, that is inaccurate, isn't it? Because I believe that Vegas gets the third lottery slot. Right now Arizona and Colorado are tank-Sabres level bad, and will not be caught. With Vegas in that third spot, the Sabres' only chance at a high lottery position is being 4th-worst. Which is not ideal for someone hoping for a top 3 pick.

Maybe the luck finally does swing our way this time, though. It would be fitting, in a draft that is dwarfed by the ones that surround it.

Shoot. Yeah I forgot to factor Vegas into it. We'll definitely have to see how the luck plays out. I definitely wouldn't mind a shot at getting Hischier with a top 2-3 pick

So, what made you a hockey fan, and decide on the Buffalo Sabres?

I actually went on a mission trip to UB and Buff State with a group from a college ministry I'm a part of this past Spring. While we were there we were able to go to the Sabres vs. Carolina game where Eichel scored in OT right as OT was about to win. I had been to some Stars games but none of them compared to the fans in Buffalo and the excitement of that game. So since then I've been paying more and more attention to the team. This year a few buddies and I are doing a fantasy hockey league so that's helped me learn about more players and kinda make me want to learn more about the Sabres especially. It's definitely been a lot of fun getting into hockey and watching the Sabres!

I actually went on a mission trip to UB and Buff State with a group from a college ministry I'm a part of this past Spring. While we were there we were able to go to the Sabres vs. Carolina game where Eichel scored in OT right as OT was about to win. I had been to some Stars games but none of them compared to the fans in Buffalo and the excitement of that game. So since then I've been paying more and more attention to the team. This year a few buddies and I are doing a fantasy hockey league so that's helped me learn about more players and kinda make me want to learn more about the Sabres especially. It's definitely been a lot of fun getting into hockey and watching the Sabres!

That's an awesome story, and the perfect game to have gone to. My favorite Sabres memory in years.

Youtube is your friend for general franchise highlights, there are loads of good videos. And this forum is the best place around to get up to speed with everything you can't find there! I hope your love for the game and the team can continue to grow. It's been hard to be a fan the past decade, but I think we're close to the end of the suffering. Hope you stick around! 

That's an awesome story, and the perfect game to have gone to. My favorite Sabres memory in years.

Youtube is your friend for general franchise highlights, there are loads of good videos. And this forum is the best place around to get up to speed with everything you can't find there! I hope your love for the game and the team can continue to grow. It's been hard to be a fan the past decade, but I think we're close to the end of the suffering. Hope you stick around!

I appreciate the tips! This forum definitely has helped my overall knowledge of the team. Here's to hoping for some good years of hockey ahead!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is the March update to one of my favorite Draft resource sites:

http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com/

I like where he has Liljegren and Makar - right in line where Sabres will more than likely be drafting. Valimaki is also an interesting prospect that is growing on me as I do more and more draft research.

Do you take the best Dman available to them or do you stick with BPA? 

9 times out of 10 I say BPA but this year I'm going D unless you are able to pick Hischier or Patrick and possibly Tippett (my guess for picks 1-3).

Edited by Crusader1969

This is a weak draft, innit?  Weakest in some time.  I'm thinking if its that weak, are there any top pair d in this draft to sweat picking?

Short answer yes.

What was the last "weak" draft? Most say 2012

That draft had Ryan Murray, Morgan Reilly, Hampus Lindholm, Matthew Dumba and Jacob Trouba all go in the top 10.

Short answer yes.

What was the last "weak" draft? Most say 2012

That draft had Ryan Murray, Morgan Reilly, Hampus Lindholm, Matthew Dumba and Jacob Trouba all go in the top 10.

I've heard this is the worst draft since the late 90s

I've heard this is the worst draft since the late 90s

I think it's lacking two things. Elite talent and depth. Doesn't mean there won't be a really good player in the top 10.

I will admit that the 3 players I really like outside of Patrick and Hischier are Liljegren, Makar and Tippett. All 3 are by no means a sure thing, each having questions about their game. All 3 are elite level skaters and game breakers but have questions surrounding their Defensive game and decision making.

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.