2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

Nope. This is Buffalo. We will win it when it matters the least.

I will counter your negative attitude and say that winning this draft lottery matters a great deal considering there is a drop off after the 1st 2 prospects.

Because Buffalo is awesome, we will win a lottery pick. 

Speaking of the draft I have some picks for rounds #2...

At #37 - Conor Timmins, RHD, 6'1" 181lbs, 67games, 7g, 54a, 61pts

Conor Timmins is a really good player who has been seeing a steady rise this draft season. He would have to slide a bit to reach us at #37 and I think he could go as high as #25. I wanted to toss him out though because he is the perfect player to target at the end of round 1 or beginning of round 2. Go find some highlights and you will notice immediately that Timmins skates very well, in this day in age I wouldn't draft a defender who didn't skate above average. He's pretty good with his passes too. Seems like a smart player and he isn't afraid to be physical. 

At #57 - Josh Brook, RHD, 6'2" 185lbs. 69games, 8g, 32a, 40pts

I love looking for guys ranked in the late 40's and early 50's who have risen up this season. I give you Josh Brook. He was injured for a chunk of last year and then he kinda exploded this year. He finished the season strong. Good puck moving defender with pretty good skating. Seems to have a good high hockey IQ. He might not slide to #57 as I could see him going at #47 but if he is there, you take him. He has the height and will add the weight, he has the skating and the hockey IQ. This is the type of mid 2nd round pick that turns into the Guhle's of the NHL or the McCabes.  

I think there is more depth at defense in this draft than there is at forward. If Timmins was gone at #37, I honestly might consider dropping back to 40-44 to grab Brook. In my perfect world without winning the lottery, we draft Makar, Timmins, Brook. Makar will be 1 year away, Timmins and Brook 2-4. Would help fix our defensive pipeline.  Either way, here are some names for you guys and girls to keep and eye on. 

You're comparing 2 different things. In the mcEichel draft we had a 20% chance of picking first and a 100% chance of picking 1 or 2. This year we have a 7.6% chance of first and a 23% chance approximately of 1-2-3.

I'm well aware that the format changed - my original question was if anyone else felt confident that we win any one of the lotteries, to which you countered that our year to win the lottery was the year we had a 20% chance to do it - Our chances of winning the lottery for one of the top 3 spots this year is higher than our chance was of winning 1st that year.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Repeat after me.  The Sabres will never win the lottery.  Bettman will not allow it.  

Mark my words, we'll be drafting 7th or 8th as at least one or two teams behind us (LA and Det?) win lottery positions and jump ahead of us.

totally agree... Bettman will probably let Vegas win to reward them for giving the NHL like 3 Brinks trucks full of cash for a franchise. We'll go up if anything, to whatever the highest is that we can go (like 8 or 9)

While No. 1–rated draft prospect Nolan Patrick doesn’t carry the elusive “generational player” tag and franchise-transforming powers of  Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews, scouts have him pegged as a kid who can develop into that big No. 1 or No. 2 two-way centre so many teams crave.

:mellow:  :doh:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2017-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-faq-number-1-pick-nolan-patrick-vancouver-canucks-winnipeg-jets-colorado-avlanche-coyotes/

If we win the draft lottery, we definitly better trade it for a top 4 dman.

If we won the lottery, I'd be tempted to draft Patrick, and in future run a potentially league best centre spine of Eichel-Patrick-Reinhart, shifting ROR to wing. We'd be a matchup nightmare.

If we won the lottery, I'd be tempted to draft Patrick, and in future run a potentially league best centre spine of Eichel-Patrick-Reinhart, shifting ROR to wing. We'd be a matchup nightmare.

I'd be tempted too, and honestly ROR will be on wing eventually anyway and Sam #2 C. Just hard taking ROR off faceoffs. Still though, that #1 pick would be major trade bait and we are very strong at center as it is.

I'd be tempted too, and honestly ROR will be on wing eventually anyway and Sam #2 C. Just hard taking ROR off faceoffs. Still though, that #1 pick would be major trade bait and we are very strong at center as it is.

He can still take faceoffs from the wing. The center doesn't have to take faceoffs. 

No thanks on Nolan "I've already had hernia surgery and I'm like 16" Patrick

I like Hischier more. 

He can still take faceoffs from the wing. The center doesn't have to take faceoffs. 

I like Hischier more. 

True but I would imagine whichever line he's on, Jack or Sam's, we would want them taking the faceoff eventually. Unless we had him on the second line and have Sam centering and ROR taking all of the faceoffs.

#2 spot is ours :P

That's going to be a really interesting spot.  Heiskanen, Hischier, Vilardi, Patrick...the top of the top with Makar, Necas, Tippett all right there.

I still prefer it:  Hischier, Vilardi, Heiskanen, Patrick, Makar, Necas, Liljegren.

Edited by TheCerebral1

True but I would imagine whichever line he's on, Jack or Sam's, we would want them taking the faceoff eventually. Unless we had him on the second line and have Sam centering and ROR taking all of the faceoffs.

Why can't he take faceoffs with Jack? Win a faceoff, jack one timer. That's how the powerplay works now.

As has been said a bazillion and a half times, ROR's best raw offensive season (28 goals and 64 points) was playing on Duchene's wing. That also happened to be Duchene's best raw offensive season (70 points in 71 games). 

Shame we didn't have some meaningless games with which to experiment  :wallbash:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.