2017 NHL Draft -- General NHL Thread

WildCard

at this point, Im just hoping that 1 of them Heiskanen or Makar are there for the Sabres! Both could be top 5 at this point.

Otherwise, trade down and think about Valamaki and Liljegren. 

How would you feel if Top 2 D off the board and the Sabres draft another Centre?

I take best player available. If the Sabres board is F, F, F, D, F, F, F, D and they draft say 6th and that first defender is gone, I take the forward left. We need talent throughout the lineup and there are always defenders I feel like in the 2nd round who are good. 

I take best player available. If the Sabres board is F, F, F, D, F, F, F, D and they draft say 6th and that first defender is gone, I take the forward left. We need talent throughout the lineup and there are always defenders I feel like in the 2nd round who are good. 

I would usually agree with you but this year just seems different. In your scenario I take the Dman.

at this point, Im just hoping that 1 of them Heiskanen or Makar are there for the Sabres! Both could be top 5 at this point.

Otherwise, trade down and think about Valamaki and Liljegren.

How would you feel if Top 2 D off the board and the Sabres draft another Centre?

Tippett

Depends Vilamaki has size and speed and I think Foote may be better at moving puck then getting credit for. I think D in this draft is under rated.

I've read a few scouting reports on Foote questioning his skating - think I like Hague better.

Brannstrom seems to be another interesting prospect who's stock is heading higher. 9th in European skaters by the NHL scouting service. He seems to be Swedens top dman in the u18 tournament.

I've been liking Hague for much of this season as well. I think the big worry about him is many scouts think he just might be a one dimensional player - a shot down guy. He reminds me of a Colton Parayko though. If he can produce with his big shot, even if just on the PP, he could be a major force because in his own end he's a monster.

Obligatory "don't base your opinion on a Youtube highlight package" warning, but...Maker is just so fun to watch! http://www.sabresprospects.com/2017/04/video-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-cale.html

This is definitely my guy, though I understand the hesitation due to playing AJHL competition.

I've been liking Hague for much of this season as well. I think the big worry about him is many scouts think he just might be a one dimensional player - a shot down guy. He reminds me of a Colton Parayko though. If he can produce with his big shot, even if just on the PP, he could be a major force because in his own end he's a monster.

if he is the guy the Sabres target, they would have to trade down. Not worthy of top 8 pick imo

Tippett

If Sabres think Samson is future 3rd line centre and not top 6 RW, then this pick could make a lot of sense. I'm not sure anyone else in organization is a shoe-in top 6 RW besides Okposo (assuming he is healthy).

This is definitely my guy, though I understand the hesitation due to playing AJHL competition.

if he is the guy the Sabres target, they would have to trade down. Not worthy of top 8 pick imo

Agreed, i wasn't saying to pick him with our pick. Was just stating ive liked him. Def not worth a top-8 pick. If he drops a bit they could see to trade back into the first round. We have two second round picks and two third round picks. But yeah, i would think we miss out on him.

Miko is having a great U18 with 8 pts in 4 games. He looks like a man amongst boys.  It's to bad Valimaki has aged out.  Swe's bad tourney obviously is hurting some people's opinion of Lilijgren.

My understanding is that Liljegren is a big reason they are not doing well. Watched the first period of the USA v Sweden game and seemed like he was on the bottom pairing and not on the #1 PP.

Totally agree on Heiskanen - doing what he is doing against top competition could vault him above Makar. Plays pro hockey against men already and performed well. Probably not the highlite reel that makar is but definitely smart, mobile and good defensively as well.

Another guy really moving up and a name to get to know is Kristian Vesalainen on Finland.

If Sabres think Samson is future 3rd line centre and not top 6 RW, then this pick could make a lot of sense. I'm not sure anyone else in organization is a shoe-in top 6 RW besides Okposo (assuming he is healthy).

Agreed. When you move every Sabre to their most natural position, our projected RW franchise depth looks like this:

1. Okposo

2. Bailey

3. Baptiste

4. Fasching

5. minor leaguers and over-the-hill vets

No one below Okposo projects to a top 6 NHL forward, and you also have to assume one of the #2-4 that I listed won't work out. So yes, RW is a need position too. I would rather use a top 9 pick on BPA rather than reach for a defenseman, and Owen Tippett happens to be a guy who could fit as both BPA and an area of need.

Agreed. When you move every Sabre to their most natural position, our projected RW franchise depth looks like this:

1. Okposo

2. Bailey

3. Baptiste

4. Fasching

5. minor leaguers and over-the-hill vets

No one below Okposo projects to a top 6 NHL forward, and you also have to assume one of the #2-4 that I listed won't work out. So yes, RW is a need position too. I would rather use a top 9 pick on BPA rather than reach for a defenseman, and Owen Tippett happens to be a guy who could fit as both BPA and an area of need.

Don't forget Nylander. Slots in at RW potentially.

Miro won best D in the U18. Vesalainen won best forward and tourney MVP! No way Veselainen goes in the bottom 3rd of the 1st rd. He looks close to NHL ready.

Makar vs Heiskanen is a tough decision. I'm going with Miro right now because of size and what I saw in this tourney. I think Liljigren had a tough tourney, but on Hockeyprospects radio on the NHL network they were talking about he may be a little worn out from playing with 3 different teams in three different leagues plus 5 different international tournaments. They said he'd be this year's Eric Karlsson or Jacob Chychrun, a guy falling in the draft for really no reason.

Personally, if we loss the lottery and draft 8 or 9, I'm trading down and trying to get Liljigren and Vesalainen.

I think the reason for Chychrun falling was people started to question his hockey IQ. That seems to happen a lot to highly ranked Dmen going into their draft year and is definitely is happening to Liljegren this season.

Heiskanen is thought of as this smart, smooth skating dman - much in the mold of Juolevi. And Liljegren is the elite skater, offensive dman who tries to force a play when the easier option may have been better.

I dont think I would have a problem taking Liljegren even as high as 6th (assuming Makar is gone)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.