Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Initially, it was presumed that the Vegas Golden Knights would be sharing an AHL franchise – reported as the Chicago Wolves over the last few weeks – until the AHL managed to finalize an expansion franchise to hit 31 teams of their own.

Now, it has been confirmed that the Knights will, indeed, affiliate with the Wolves. In an unexpected move, though, they’ll take sole control of the minor league club, leaving the Blues to find another affiliate elsewhere.

A multi-year deal was announced between the Golden Knights and the Wolves on Tuesday afternoon, pairing Las Vegas with the franchise they sent team prospect Reid Duke to in order to finish out his 2016-17 campaign. The 31st NHL club will have sole control over the coaching staff and players in Chicago for the next handful of years.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/vegas-golden-knights-ink-multi-year-affiliation-chicago-wolves/

Edited by WildCard

Whoa I'm speechless, and still not sure how this happened. Chicago Wolves are an extremely solid AHL club. If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure all of their games are even televised. Vegas just got put on the fast track.

Edited by Saratoga Sabres Fan

Whoa I'm speechless, and still not sure how this happened. Chicago Wolves are an extremely solid AHL club. If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure all of their games are even televised. Vegas just got put on the fast track.

Well, they're solid when stocked with Blues prospects, right?  Maybe not so much when stocked with guys who can't crack an expansion team's lineup.

The wolves have had on off relationships with alot of teams.  The owner wants to field a championship team and often eschews developing players for career minor leaguers or fading NHL vets.  I will say that for a minor league club the fan experience is top notch.

Edited by 3putt

@reporterchris
Finalists for GM of the year: Peter Chiarelli, Pierre Dorion and David Poile.

Strange picks...I have hated the leafs like forever and yet I have to admit they should have won this hands-down. They were absolutely awful and not even competitive and almost overnight the management team turned their fortunes around 100%. Ottawa and Nashville have been teams in the mak,ing for many years while Chiarelli got McDavid and we didn't.

Edited by Sabre fan

Strange picks...I have hated the leafs like forever and yet I have to admit they should have won this hands-down. They were absolutely awful and not even competitive and almost overnight the management team turned their fortunes around 100%. Ottawa and Nashville have been teams in the mak,ing for many years while Chiarelli got McDavid and we didn't.

I get Chiarelli and Poile, though really Chiarelli is a garbage choice because he inherited McDavid; least Poile went out and got Subban, which has been huge for them. But Dorion? That roster is not good, and the Brassard trade has not worked well for them at all. They're falling ass backwards into winning. The only reason he's even nominated is because they made the finalists during the ECF's when they should have done it before the playoffs

Poile, Chiarelli, and either Fletcher or Armstrong for me

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2017/05/15/gretzky-orr-lemieux-crosby-and-toews-join-doc-emrick-for-nhl-game-changers-all-time-greats-this-wednesday-may-17-on-nbcsn/

Doc Emrick is hosting a thirty minute special called "NHL Game Changers / All-Time Greats" after Game 3 tonight. The members of the panel: 

Wayne Gretzky 
Mario Lemieux
Bobby Orr

Sidney Crosby
Jonathan Toews

I'm not kidding on that last one, he's there. 

How many times will Gretzky insist that every player at the table was better than he was? How many times will they mistake Toews for part of the video crew, or ask him to run little errands/chores like fetching food and water during commercial breaks? 

It sounds fairly boring to me, but there ya go.

Edited by Randall Flagg

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2017/05/15/gretzky-orr-lemieux-crosby-and-toews-join-doc-emrick-for-nhl-game-changers-all-time-greats-this-wednesday-may-17-on-nbcsn/

Doc Emrick is hosting a thirty minute special called "NHL Game Changers / All-Time Greats" after Game 3 tonight. The members of the panel: 

Wayne Gretzky (4)

Mario Lemieux (2)

Bobby Orr (2)

Sidney Crosby (2)

Jonathan Toews (3)

I'm not kidding on that last one, he's there. 

How many times will Gretzky insist that every player at the table was better than he was? How many times will they mistake Toews for part of the video crew, or ask him to run little errands/chores like fetching food and water during commercial breaks? 

It sounds fairly boring to me, but there ya go.

I know, right?

Shouldn't he be second on that list?

:devil:

I know, right?

Shouldn't he be second on that list?

:devil:

Yvan Cournoyer ain't dead yet. 

Looking it up, there are at least 50 players with 5 cups or more, thanks to the small number of teams early in the cup's history. ("at least" is because I don't know if the list on hockey reference.com just happened to end at 50 because that's all of the rows they wanted to put in or if the number is that nice)

Edited by Randall Flagg

145 players have won the cup 4 times or more. Even with the long history and few amount of teams early on, I would have guessed half of that number for that stat. Also, Jonathan Quick is the only guy to ever win the cup with a last name starting with "Q". And nobody with a last name beginning with "U" has ever won the cup, or the wiki page just forgot that letter. (Same with X, but that's not surprising)

Better trade Ullmark. 

Edited by Randall Flagg

145 players have won the cup 4 times or more. Even with the long history and few amount of teams early on, I would have guessed half of that number for that stat. Also, Jonathan Quick is the only guy to ever win the cup with a last name starting with "Q". And nobody with a last name beginning with "U" has ever won the cup, or the wiki page just forgot that letter. (Same with X, but that's not surprising)

Better trade Ullmark. 

Beat me to it :lol:

@reporterchris
Finalists for GM of the year: Peter Chiarelli, Pierre Dorion and David Poile.

I don't understand why the "GM of the Year" award should go to anyone other than the cup winning GM. The main job of a GM is to assemble a team that will compete for and win the Stanley Cup. He who wins it was the best at it.

I don't understand why the "GM of the Year" award should go to anyone other than the cup winning GM. The main job of a GM is to assemble a team that will compete for and win the Stanley Cup. He who wins it was the best at it.

Because rosters aren't assembled in one year.

That's exactly my point. Winning the cup stems from years of building a team the correct way. The GM who wins the cup has obviously done that and deserves the award.

They're not the same GM at the time. The guy who drafted Crosby and Malkin is no longer Pittsburgh's GM

They're not the same GM at the time. The guy who drafted Crosby and Malkin is no longer Pittsburgh's GM

Right. Rutherford built a team that complements Crosby and Malkin by brining in Phil the Thrill, Bonino, Hagelin, and apparently knows what he's doing when it comes to drafting and developing talent, Gueznal (sp?), Rust and also created a defensive pool so deep they can lose their number 1 and 2 defense man (Letang and Daley (I'm actually not sure where Daley falls on their depth chart) and still make it to the conference final.

So, Shero should have been the grandest GM when they won their first cup with C and M.

Rutherford should have been last year and maybe this year too.

=====

I'm too busy (read lazy) to check ... maybe they did?

So, Shero should have been the grandest GM when they won their first cup with C and M.

Rutherford should have been last year and maybe this year too.

=====

I'm too busy (read lazy) to check ... maybe they did?

If Rutherford fired Bylsma in 2014, he should have won in 2015. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.