Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

I effing love it. I have hockey-market jealousy.

He really is adamant on the subject that Reinhart took his foot off the gas, and slacked off. At this point, I'm inclined to think there's at least some truth to it.

OTOH, he's also equally insistent that "Reinhart will be fine" (hi, Paul!) and is destined to become a very good NHL hockey player.

He doesn't sound to sure. Even if Reinhart didn't progress as much this season at least he didn't regress. A lot of players have a sophomore slump. I think we should see what a new coach and gm do because Botterill was right yesterday when he said development seems to stop when players get to the nhl. I think Jack noticed that too. Culture change is coming and that room better be ready.

I effing love it. I have hockey-market jealousy.

He really is adamant on the subject that Reinhart took his foot off the gas, and slacked off. At this point, I'm inclined to think there's at least some truth to it.

OTOH, he's also equally insistent that "Reinhart will be fine" (hi, Paul!) and is destined to become a very good NHL hockey player.

There is nothing we can measure that supports Hamilton's argument.

There is nothing we can measure that supports Hamilton's argument.

Likewise, there is nothing we can measure to establish the vaguely homoerotic love many of the regulars here hold for one another.

And yet that love undoubtedly exists, and is true.

Wait -- what?

Likewise, there is nothing we can measure to establish the vaguely homoerotic love many of the regulars here hold for one another.

Wait -- what?

:lol:

Point is, Reinhart was one of our best three forwards in every meaningful measure we have to assess performance. Yet for reasons unknown, Hamilton has zeroed in on him for criticism. It's utterly perplexing. If I were the conspiracy type, I'd buy into the notion that Hamilton heard Sam in the locker room making a weight joke or something.

:lol:

Point is, Reinhart was one of our best three forwards in every meaningful measure we have to assess performance. Yet for reasons unknown, Hamilton has zeroed in on him for criticism. It's utterly perplexing. If I were the conspiracy type, I'd buy into the notion that Hamilton heard Sam in the locker room making a weight joke or something.

Agreed. It's weird and Hamilton's fervent refusal to acknowledge advanced stats because they show he isn't correct is even odder impo.

Wait -- what?

There ain't nothing vague about most of it :lol:

If 17-30-47 is what you get from a 21 year old just happy to be there, I'm feeling pretty good with that guy's potential. If that somehow is in fact his attitude, I trust that it will turn around, especially being a second generation NHLer.

I think Paul is mad we didn't draft Draisaitl.

There ain't nothing vague about most of it :lol:

Nice.

I think Paul is mad we didn't draft Draisaitl.

He's probably not alone, but whaddayagonnado?

And, hey: If the only real upshot of all of this is Reinhart feels a little extra motivation to emerge in year 3, then it's all good.

Agreed. It's weird and Hamilton's fervent refusal to acknowledge advanced stats because they show he isn't correct is even odder impo.

He's probably playing to the crowd. I'd bet most fans (and certainly the the meatheads on WGR) generally aren't pro-stats so he's not going to go out of his way to prove himself wrong *and* alienate people.

Hang on. Hamilton was on the radio, talking about his article, and not one of the hosts or any callers mentioned the abominable cherry-picking of stats he used in the article?

Are you serious?

I don't think Rivet or Peters understand the maths

Before moving to Nashville I thought it'd be a bunch of country folks who didn't know when to cheer. I was wrong. Knowledge of the game is probably at 95-98% of what it is up north - they know the game well, but do miss a few subtleties that you'd only get if you grew up playing hockey. But, fan enthusiasm in Nashville is off the charts and the barn is always crazy loud. The arena was built for concerts, so the acoustics are better than any arena I've been to. And, the arena experience is second to none. The games are an event down here. For the first time in franchise history, the Preds sold out every home game this year. And, that's not because anyone really thought this team would make a Cup run. It's been a slow build down here and the love affair with the team and with the game has grown year-over-year. Took about 20 years to reach critical mass. The Cup run is just icing on the cake.

Nashville has become the team they hope the coyotes will become.

Hamilton trashing Reinhart on WGR, defending his article and saying poeple didn't read it. Claiming people speculate Eichel refered to Sam when saying people are just happy to make it. Defends his article, then says he hasn't seen the advanced stats and doesn't care to anyways. Says not working out with ROR after practice lead to a decline in tip in goals

And yet, I'm somehow surprised by this

There is nothing defensible about the pile of pathetic trash that is his "analysis" in that article. It was flagrantly dishonest. Intentionally manipulative. He's a joke, and a hack, and he should be fired for the statistical presentation in that article alone, much less the baseless character judgment he made during the busiest stretch of the season, after which Reinhart resumed attending the funking practices.

Hang on. Hamilton was on the radio, talking about his article, and not one of the hosts or any callers mentioned the abominable cherry-picking of stats he used in the article?

Are you serious?

He explicitly said not only did he not look at any advanced, or other, stats, but that he doesn't care to and won't anyways.

If 17-30-47 is what you get from a 21 year old just happy to be there,  I'm feeling pretty good with that guy's potential.  If that somehow is in fact his attitude, I trust that it will turn around, especially being a second generation NHLer.

This.

The Sabres are about 5 all-star quality defenseman short

Also, this. We are going to have to be built differently.

I meant fun to watch with good depth and a solid locker room

If our fans could be half as fun as Nashville fans that'd be great. I know that our fans haven't had a lot to cheer about in the past 7 years, but the atmosphere in the whatever-we're-calling-it-this-week is so bad. 17000 librarians all shooting dirty looks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.