Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Kucherov saying his teammates got their money and then stopped working

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/nikita-kucherov-with-harsh-words-for-lightning/2321702

Kucherov, preparing to play for Russia at the World Championships, told Sovietsky Sport that some teammates "overstayed" with team, "got their money and stopped working." Kucherov also wondered why the team's lines were changed like a "kaleidoscope."

"Some guys overstayed in team," Kucherov told Sovietsy Sport, per translation. "They've got their money and stopped working. They knew there's no competition for their positions and the organization is not going to take someone else. They played not really well this year. You can see it in their stats and way of play. When we played together and I made a pass, they even were not expecting this. That's why this season was hard for me despite good stats."

Ouch

Edited by WildCard

Filppula, Killorn? Coburn?

If I'm picking the bum off that list, it's Filppula. 

Not sure about that one. He didn't get a big contract this summer so I'm not sure if  'getting paid' really applies to him. Hedman played very well, and Stamkos was out the entire time. Maybe Johnson? Think they tried trading him for Shattenkirk too

Edited by WildCard

Not sure about that one. He didn't get a big contract this summer so I'm not sure if 'getting paid' really applies to him. Hedman played very well, and Stamkos was out the entire time. Maybe Johnson? Think they tried trading him for Shattenkirk too

He did get his paycheck a while back though. I still think it's him. That's why they shipped him off to Philly.

He did get his paycheck a while back though. I still think it's him. That's why they shipped him off to Philly.

I mean his stats are really consistent throughout his career, besides his first year with Tampa and his last with Detroit being exceptional for him. I think they just shipped him because his cap is $5m for next year and they need room for all Drouin, Palat, Johnson, etc. Plus he would have been an easy snag at the expansion draft, so this way they got something for him

Ottawa's GM...not a fan of analytics 

I want to punch our analytics people on a daily basis because they come to me with stuff that when they tell me that [borowiecki]’s no good, I say ‘why don’t you go on the ice with Boro and tell me how much fun it is to get hit ten times in a row?’ Guys go the other way sometimes, but analytics can’t tell you that.

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/senators-gm-pierre-dorion-wants-punch-analytics-team/

Surprising to say, the Senators are not the best analytics darlings in the world, and are upheld by a top 5 defensemen of all time. 

I don't even think he'll be the best defenseman that team ever had, much less top 5 of all time in the league.

He is damned good, though.

I think he's a top 4 offensive D-man of all time. If his defense continues to come around, the fact that he's generational in that sense will help his all-time rankings.

The things he can do are as mind-blowing as C McD, and he arguably has more of an influence on the game when he's on the ice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.