Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

Even with Min AND Pit you're two teams short.

As for playoffs, I'm not too worried. They even did a straight 1-16 bracket a couple of times.

Add OTT and QBC, nbd.

I'd love a 1-16 playoff. Have the two best teams meet in the Finals, which is th way it should be.

Add OTT and QBC, nbd.

I'd love a 1-16 playoff. Have the two best teams meet in the Finals, which is th way it should be.

It's great until the Sabres end up playing the Kings or Ducks or whomever on the West Coast and we have a bunch of road games that start at 10:30 pm that don't end until 1 in the morning. Road games for them involve them listening to it on the radio while stuck in after work traffic and getting home in time to only be able to watch the 3rd period/OT. It's bad for tv ratings and everything knows money is more important than anything else.

It's great until the Sabres end up playing the Kings or Ducks or whomever on the West Coast and we have a bunch of road games that start at 10:30 pm that don't end until 1 in the morning. Road games for them involve them listening to it on the radio while stuck in after work traffic and getting home in time to only be able to watch the 3rd period/OT. It's bad for tv ratings and everything knows money is more important than anything else.

I think that's what the league concluded.  I remember the Sabres playing Vancouver in an opening round once.

I think that's what the league concluded.  I remember the Sabres playing Vancouver in an opening round once.

As do I - one of my earlier, clear memories of the team (I mean, my memories pre-date 1979-1980 - but they're fuzzier). Gilbert in his prime. Gare scored 50+. Beat the Canucks in round 1 and then swept the Blackhawks, I believe. And, man, we should've won the Cup that year - but we could not get out of the semi's, as the Islanders were just too much.

Scotty's first year.

And I'm too lazy to look it up, but wasn't the series best of three?

Correct.  Both times.

That was a very good Sabres team ... the French Connection was still connecting.  Gare scored 50 and was captain.  Finished second in the league with 105 points, I think.  And ran into an Islander team built to win the cup (their first of 4 in a row) in the semi-finals.

Seriously? Man - I do not recall that.

1979 ... Sabres and Penguins.

The Sabres lost game 1 and 3 at home 4 - 3, with game 3 ending in OT.

And 11,

You are correct both against Van City were best of 5.  I think they played in 1980 and 1981 opening round against Vancouver.

Preliminary rounds changed in 79-80 season as far as I can see. Before that it was best of 3.

What a hoot. I can recall a variety of isolated things from the 70s, but, based on this factoid, it's clear to me that my first real true memories of the Sabres started around that 1979-1980 series and that 1980 playoff series. I remember Gare getting to 50 that season. And then I remember thinking: Man, we got Perreault, Martin, this young turk GARE - we are gonna win it all!

I wish they'd go back to a system like that. I think our playoff format is too long. 

Agreed.

But good luck reducing the number of games. Because money.

I wish they'd go back to a system like that. I think our playoff format is too long. 

Yup.

I loved the best of three series.  Upsets are fun.

1st rd- best of three

2nd round- best of 5

Best of 7 from there.

Makes the playoffs shorter and more interesting because it is a condensed format.  Bang, bang, next series.

But they won't make enough money in 3 games.  :rolleyes:

Yup.

I loved the best of three series. Upsets are fun.

1st rd- best of three

2nd round- best of 5

Best of 7 from there.

Makes the playoffs shorter and more interesting because it is a condensed format. Bang, bang, next series.

But they won't make enough money in 3 games. :rolleyes:

The action would be so much better in my opinion. They're such a war of attrition right now. You could give longer breaks between games or series so teams could rest a bit and come out really flying. You could certainly charge more for the tickets based on lower supply too, right? I mean, we'll let them gouge us. It's the playoffs!

The action would be so much better in my opinion. They're such a war of attrition right now. You could give longer breaks between games or series so teams could rest a bit and come out really flying. You could certainly charge more for the tickets based on lower supply too, right? I mean, we'll let them gouge us. It's the playoffs!

The NHL has zero interest in improving the on ice product. Zero. And improving the product at the cost of TV revenue? HA!

Weren't the playoffs best of five for rounds one and two, then went to the best of seven for the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Final for a while in the early 80s?

No. Quarter Finals have ALWAYS (at least since '67) been best of 7.

Preliminary round best of 3 from '75 - '79.

When the WHA folded/ got partially absorbed preliminary round upped to best of 5.

They upped to best of 7 across the board in '87.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.