Around the NHL 2016-2017

spndnchz

I don't see anything wrong with that hit

He lifts his skates to hit wheeler in the head with his elbow.  Looks to me he could have avoided that hit.

Didn't look too bad but ###### him, suspend him through the playoffs. ###### Crosby and those ######!

Nah, I don't see anything wrong with that hit.  If it were Risto hitting someone, you'd all agree.

To address Huckleberry's comments:  Both skates were on the ice at the moment of impact; he lifts the right skate just after the hit and strides away.  If anything, getting a little high on his skates looks to me like an attempt to minimize the hit; if he stays on the tracks and doesn't turn away, he would have obliterated Wheeler and maybe injured himself as well.  The point of contact was not his elbow but his shoulder, and it looks like Wheeler took it on the shoulder as well.

Nah, I don't see anything wrong with that hit.  If it were Risto hitting someone, you'd all agree.

To address Huckleberry's comments:  Both skates were on the ice at the moment of impact; he lifts the right skate just after the hit and strides away.  If anything, getting a little high on his skates looks to me like an attempt to minimize the hit; if he stays on the tracks and doesn't turn away, he would have obliterated Wheeler and maybe injured himself as well.  The point of contact was not his elbow but his shoulder, and it looks like Wheeler took it on the shoulder as well.

1:46 of the video you can see both of Malkin's feet in the air making contact with the head.

https://youtu.be/UKfOuiRY8Io?t=1m46s

That's a reprint of an earlier article that's nearly a year old, so it was still the first season after the trade.  It may have been too soon to pronounce judgment on the ROR trade in their minds.

1:46 of the video you can see both of Malkin's feet in the air making contact with the head.

I see that.  I was looking at one of the other angles.  Looks to me that the intent was primarily shoulder-to-shoulder, and I think he was trying to avoid the hit more than anything else.  Consider also that Wheeler and just wheeled around to try to get the loose puck, which Malkin was also trying to get.  Each player had only a split second to react.

Also, Stuart's presence in the vicinity took away time and space and options for Malkin.

That POS Malkin comes off of his feet and hits Wheeler in the head doesn't get a phoe call?

I have watched the replay of the hit at 1/15 time and Wheeler's head is this first thing that Malkin makes contact with...he launches himself into the hit. Did he hit Wheeler's shoulder? Yes...was there head contact? Yes, lots. To make matters worse, that poor excuse for a poor excuse assists on Crosby's GWG. I'd like to see someone Bobbly Clarke him on the 8th when they are in town. Former ref Kerry Fraser's take on it...12:50 or so.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/winnipeg-1290/fraser-a-lot-of-wheeler-s-head-hit-by-malkin-1.674991

I didn't realize that, overall, the Pens are a pretty dirty team. I think two of their D were knocked out of the game and one for sure is out for 6 weeks but they were on legal hits. Too bad it wasn't Malkin.

Edited by Ducky

Only watched the 1st 5 or so times the clip showed the hit. Looked to me like Malkin was more trying to avoid the hit than run Wheeler. His body is almost completely perpendicular to the ice before making contact. BUT whether intentional or not, he did leave his feet prior to the hit & the initial point of contact was the head (or it was hit so slightly after the shoulder that they were hit simultaneously). It should have been a charge. But probably just a 2 minute charge IMHO.

Only watched the 1st 5 or so times the clip showed the hit. Looked to me like Malkin was more trying to avoid the hit than run Wheeler. His body is almost completely perpendicular to the ice before making contact. BUT whether intentional or not, he did leave his feet prior to the hit & the initial point of contact was the head (or it was hit so slightly after the shoulder that they were hit simultaneously). It should have been a charge. But probably just a 2 minute charge IMHO.

Gotta agree.. Could he have been called for a charge for leaving his feet? Sure, I'd say so. But watch the video around 1:14. Looks like he intentionally tucks his elbow to ensure it's a straight-up, shoulder to shoulder hit. Nothing that warrants any time away. 

That's a reprint of an earlier article that's nearly a year old, so it was still the first season after the trade.  It may have been too soon to pronounce judgment on the ROR trade in their minds.

I see that.  I was looking at one of the other angles.  Looks to me that the intent was primarily shoulder-to-shoulder, and I think he was trying to avoid the hit more than anything else.  Consider also that Wheeler and just wheeled around to try to get the loose puck, which Malkin was also trying to get.  Each player had only a split second to react.

Also, Stuart's presence in the vicinity took away time and space and options for Malkin.

All of this could be addressed in a telephone hearing.  It's the lack of such a hearing that's the problem.

He did get interference if I recall correctly.  I would have tacked another 2 on for charging and his final 2 for roughing.

All of this could be addressed in a telephone hearing.  It's the lack of such a hearing that's the problem.

Indeed. No harm in having a conversation, listening to the explanations and then saying it was not an intent to injure and the call on the ice was enough, at best they could have called charging but that's with the benefit of slow motion.

The good news is that Wheeler came back after the concussion protocol so at least it wasn't worse.

Rattie was a "rumored" aquisition a few years ago, has he just completely fallen off or never that good anyways?

I think he was never that good.  He was a Luke Adam type player.  He could light it up the the AHL but he could never bring that success to the NHL.  Wierd how that works some times.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.