OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

The World Cup is such a different animal. That was all over Brazil and used existing infrastructure. They didn't bulldoze entire slums for the World Cup. They didn't need to impose a police state to keep order during the World Cup. 

What are the odds of a terrorist attack? I put them at high to very high. 

Last terrorist attack at an Olympics was here, right?  We're probably due.

The Olympics are good and should go on forever.

The first part is completely false. They've been a disaster for as long as I can remember when they try to go into these areas that aren't set up for the infrastructure and traffic increases.

The Olympics as we know it should disappear forever. They should only be going to places secure and capable of hosting it. Some recent cities/countries have seen hundreds of people dying working in poor conditions for poor pay to build stadiums that will fall into ruin a few years after the Olympics leave. And there have been indications there's corruption all over the process.

Blow it up and start something truly meaningful and productive.

Fixed that for you. The Olympics should just be held in Greece and each year a new country gets to be the "host".

The fix is more along the lines of my thinking but until I see evidence there's a desire to fix it I'll just stick with hating the Olympics and wanting it gone.

I don't know, I think a lot of people (myself included) were convinced Sochi was going to be a complete nightmare. Remember that things weren't built in time for that one, worries of terrorism (Russia had just stomped all over Georgia). And they went pretty well. Athens was another that wasn't ready. And the World Cup wasn't the complete disaster we all expected. 

However, I don't condone this mess. The IOC is corrupt. Atlanta was the only Olympics to actually make a profit, but don't forget their massive cleansing of homeless people/shelters. Beijing and Rio both have displaced large amounts of lower income people. Brazil hopes to sweep a lot of problems under the rug with the shiny modern spaces implemented for the Games. I worry about health- I don't believe it's been this big of a fear before- the sewage water being my number one concern. And security. The Games are sprawling and surrounded by the favelas, and Brazil's police force(s) are reportedly often corrupt.

I always feel a sense of waste. For example, even a rather busy/wealthy place like Whistler, where the majority of the Vancouver winter sports were actually taking place, has entire areas that are ghost towns now. Lots of beautiful, modern apartments, shops, and hotels completely vacant with big RENT or FOR SALE signs. If only we could have a few places to do them. It's a tough argument- I love the idea of exploring different cultures with the games, but they're just a huge burden, I think better served in a couple locations. Change it up every 10 years. I don't know. 

To be clear, I love the Olympics. I'm always excited for them. I'll be glued to international feeds to catch them 24/7. The Games are always a highlight for me. 

I expect a LOT of mostly naked women and feathers. 

I like a Summer Olympic sport here and there. The volleyball especially. What annoys me is the TV coverage, live vs. taped. I understand the ratings and all that but to hear during the day that some country won something and watching it "live" later on the networks, is, well, anticlimactic.

I don't know, I think a lot of people (myself included) were convinced Sochi was going to be a complete nightmare. Remember that things weren't built in time for that one, worries of terrorism (Russia had just stomped all over Georgia). And they went pretty well. Athens was another that wasn't ready. And the World Cup wasn't the complete disaster we all expected. 

However, I don't condone this mess. The IOC is corrupt. Atlanta was the only Olympics to actually make a profit, but don't forget their massive cleansing of homeless people/shelters. Beijing and Rio both have displaced large amounts of lower income people. Brazil hopes to sweep a lot of problems under the rug with the shiny modern spaces implemented for the Games. I worry about health- I don't believe it's been this big of a fear before- the sewage water being my number one concern. And security. The Games are sprawling and surrounded by the favelas, and Brazil's police force(s) are reportedly often corrupt.

I always feel a sense of waste. For example, even a rather busy/wealthy place like Whistler, where the majority of the Vancouver winter sports were actually taking place, has entire areas that are ghost towns now. Lots of beautiful, modern apartments, shops, and hotels completely vacant with big RENT or FOR SALE signs. If only we could have a few places to do them. It's a tough argument- I love the idea of exploring different cultures with the games, but they're just a huge burden, I think better served in a couple locations. Change it up every 10 years. I don't know. 

To be clear, I love the Olympics. I'm always excited for them. I'll be glued to international feeds to catch them 24/7. The Games are always a highlight for me. 

I expect a LOT of mostly naked women and feathers.

Not true. LA was the 1st to ever make a profit. Pretty sure SLC turned a small profit as well. Would be surprised if Sydney wasn't also in the black. Pretty sure Calgary was in the red a little but not too bad.

No data on Vancouver, Nagano, nor London.

My earliest, complete thought, SUMMER Olympics memories include the track and field Black Power salute in Mexico City (1968), the US - USSR Basketball theft and Mark Spitz owning the water in 1972 (Munich).

The single most powerful memory is the Munich Massacre, or the Palestanian / Israeli terror attack. Jim McKay was the host of Wide World of Sports back when a single television program could be found in nearly every home. Think four channels, not 400, and a common national experience. The whole country sat and watched the terrible drama. For many of us, this was our first taste, feel, of terror. I was eleven and watching glorious athletes compete in games with a centuries old tradition dating back to mankind's democratic beginnings. The honor, the glory, the Olympics! Mankind's most noble aspirations on display. All I could do was ask "why" in the way that question is asked most poignantly, seeped in pain and confusion. Paradise lost.

Edited by N'eo

My earliest, complete thought, SUMMER Olympics memories include the track and field Black Power salute in Mexico City (1968), the US - USSR Basketball theft and Mark Spitz owning the water in 1972 (Munich).

The single most powerful memory is the Munich Massacre, or the Palestanian / Israeli terror attack. Jim McKay was the host of Wide World of Sports back when a single television program could be found in nearly every home. Think four channels, not 400, and a common national experience. The whole country sat and watched the terrible drama. For many of us, this was our first taste, feel, of terror. I was eleven and watching glorious athletes compete in games with a centuries old tradition dating back to mankind's democratic beginnings. The honor, the glory, the Olympics! Mankind's most noble aspirations on display. All I could do was ask "why" in the way that question is asked most poignantly, seeped in pain and confusion. Paradise lost.

Mark Spitz and his seven gold medals. Masked gunman on the balcony of the Israeli team quarters. 

Jim McKay utters, "They're gone. They're all gone." 

If you haven't already read it, I recommend One Day in September. Also several good documentaries, too. 

I'd like to put the Olympics on, but if the last couple are any example NBC will push most of the coverage onto its cable hench-networks so I can only catch the summary show at night that doesn't have all the less common sports. I don't really dig gymnastics or basketball, but those will be what's constantly on at night. "We cut away from the finish of the 50m meter handwalk to go to gymnastitorium where America "Amy" Smith has just taken a drink of water and is listening to her iPhone". :wallbash:

I'd like to put the Olympics on, but if the last couple are any example NBC will push most of the coverage onto its cable hench-networks so I can only catch the summary show at night that doesn't have all the less common sports. I don't really dig gymnastics or basketball, but those will be what's constantly on at night. "We cut away from the finish of the 50m meter handwalk to go to gymnastitorium where America "Amy" Smith has just taken a drink of water and is listening to her iPhone". :wallbash:

That's shame because they've combined them as a demonstration sport for this year's games. Here's a clip:

They did just host a world cup.  Not much has really changed since then except for the virus.

The World Cup is such a different animal. That was all over Brazil and used existing infrastructure. They didn't bulldoze entire slums for the World Cup. They didn't need to impose a police state to keep order during the World Cup. 

The two events are very, very different.

In order to hold competitions, the World Cup didn't need to make use of waterways infested with feces and super bacteria.

In order to house its competitors and other visitors (including media), the World Cup didn't need to build villages of new housing. Has anyone seen some of the photos coming back from the housing that was built for these Olympics? Talk about shoddy. If similar problems are present in the competition venues (and there's little to reason to think there aren't), this Olympics could really go down in infamy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.