OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

If I had to get into that open sewage, I would just stay home.

I remember seeing a quote from an American athlete who had the complete opposite view saying they would swim in whatever to represent their country. All I thought after seeing that is how dumb this person was, or disillusioned. It must be an amazing feeling to win a medal for by our country,but when you break it down, is anyone really going to remember you winning the medal unless your one of the few top athletes who wins multiple medals or where something happened in order for you to win? Is it worth possibly le facing a dangerous illness or getting a disease that can affect your long-term health to represent your country in a sporting event few people care about outside of these games?

I'm not close to the facts. The environmental conditions disturb me. I'm left wondering. Was this discussed or considered when Rio was awarded the games? Was water quality overlooked? Were conditions fine and have they deteriorated? Is this really less of an issue, considered at the time of awarding, that we're now making more of an issue?

It's a bad thing. Where'd it come from and when did we first see it?

besides the obvious answer, corruption, I saw something recently where Rio, was supposed to build close to a dozen sewage treatment plants that may have been part of their bid, and they only built one of them and its running at around 50% capacity

I've been meaning to reply to this. I get what you meant by your post, I was just being cheeky.

The IOC is what's bad and needs to be done away with. The Olympics are wonderful! Athletes from all over, at the highest level of their sport, competing, not for money, but for the honor of it. It's ###### great! I cling to the sappy ideals of the Olympics. Citius, Altius, Fortius: Faster, Higher, Stronger. The IOC thinks that they ARE the Olympics, and for now with all the crooked ###### that they have been up to for however many decades, they actually might believe it's all about them. But for me, and my opinion probably doesn't matter very much to them, or to anyone else for that matter, the Olympics will always be about the athletes.

I've never met an Olympic athlete or coach who had anything nice to say about the IOC. F*** those guys.

it's the problem with slot of these events today where it's now all about the money. The only ones making the money are the IOC and the Media. The TV deals are huge while they charge a fortune for advertising. The CPU tries all try to out do the previous ones now where it seems each Olympics costs substantially more then the previous because you have to do something better then the last place.

It's funny that now citizens are pushing back at their governments and wanting them to pull out bids for the Olympics because they see these things are big money losers. It's to the point where the IOC are almost begging countries to take the next available Olympics cause no one wants them. It seems like the US/Canada and London atleast try and reuse their venues they build for the games. It's sad to see some of these countries like Russia and China where the venues they paid huge money for have been left to rot and not reused afterwards.

Worst opening ceremony I can ever remember...

It was ... interesting.  A bunch of us watched it live on CBC.  The history of Brazil thing with the Portugese invaders, the slaves, and the Japanese immigrants was informative but not really, umm, Olympics-like?

On the other hand, that biplane flying out of the stadium was incredible.

I think they did a good job of not spending every last dollar Brazil has. The opening ceremonies have gotten out of control in my opinion.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/24305-get-off-my-lawn-the-over-50-thread/

Opening day recap!

--No coffee in the Village:  http://www.extracrispy.com/drinks/559/there-is-no-coffee-in-the-olympic-village

--Kayaker possibly attacked by sofa:  https://twitter.com/pkelso/status/761658619733667840

--Lebanon really getting into the Olympic spirit:  http://www.timesofisrael.com/lebanese-olympic-team-demands-israelis-be-removed-from-shared-bus/

--The DPRK is apparently in charge of things in the Village:  http://www.scmp.com/sport/article/1999658/hard-picture-dont-even-look-athletes-village-ioc-orders-teams-discourage?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=SCMPSocialNewsfeed

It's so fast and so rugged. And they usually play three games a day.

I can see if they were playing the same team all three times. Like a best of three series. But man, I was getting ready to bitch about NBC cutting out parts of the match only to find out that WAS the entire match.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

14 minute rugby games? Really?

I can't stand sevens.

Women's sevens rugby is highly entertaining. The size/physicality of these women is what women's hockey lacks.

I think you're about to find that there are only about three countries in the world that play at a competitive level.

I think they did a good job of not spending every last dollar Brazil has. The opening ceremonies have gotten out of control in my opinion.

I hear you.

I'd read that they spent a lot less than summer games past. Maybe because they're sorta broke, though?

Anyway. It's a unique opportunity for a country to let the world know what they're about.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.