OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

What do you think the Sabres should do about Evander Kane?

Basically the same idea I had about Solo. Part of me supports the Sabres parting ways w/ Kane. Another part of me wants Buffalo to give him another chance. The thing w/ Kane though is we're not even certain a chance needs to be given. If the mess being reported is false, why should the Sabres give him a second chance when there is no reason to do so? Buffalo needs to let things play out. After things are finalized they can go from there. So right now the Sabres need to keep Kane in Buffalo. 

My take is that they've been wanting to get rid of her ever since her domestic violence charges, but since she head and shoulders above the other goalies talent wise they let her hang on. Now that she had demonstrated that her talent is diminishing the cons outweigh the pros.

Hockey analogy: She used to be Sidney Crosby and now she is Mike Richards. Much easier to cut Richards

Was thinking it was weird those comments got her suspended, but seems she had a target on her back for other stuff as well.

Any excuse seemed to be good to dump her I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really crappy and inexcusable behavior: http://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/37301871

I can't really get to the point where this upsets me.

Looking at it from me being a former athlete point of view, I would say that I didn't care. I care that my friends and family see me and support me, and that I represent my country well.

Looking at it as my current, wicked corporate point of view: Yeah, he should have definitely made an appearance. He needs to show that he views these games as just as important as the Olympics. Even if none of the athletes know who he is/care if he's there.

This is really crappy and inexcusable behavior:  http://www.bbc.com/sport/disability-sport/37301871

A very debatable topic. I can understand both sides of it. Unless a person is in a similar situation I don't believe they can definitively decide which is correct. Everyone is different. All have our own morals and values.   

Edited by GoPre

A very debatable topic. I can understand both sides of it. Unless a person is in a similar situation I don't believe they can definitively decide which is correct. Everyone is different. All have our own morals and values.   

I totally understand him missing the opening ceremony to attend a friend's funeral.  No question about that.  But you're the president of the IOC; you've got to juggle your schedule to make an appearance.  I don't care if it's for the first half of a single wheelchair basketball game; you've got to get there.

The guy is the head of the IOC and he can't see that his schedule should be focused on the premier event for one of his constituent organizations?

I can only imagine the items on his schedule that are more important that attending an event that occurs every 4 years. (the funeral aside)

I totally understand him missing the opening ceremony to attend a friend's funeral.  No question about that.  But you're the president of the IOC; you've got to juggle your schedule to make an appearance.  I don't care if it's for the first half of a single wheelchair basketball game; you've got to get there.

Trust me I agree w/ this. Aside from missing the opener due to a friend's funeral, which is very understandable, he needs to be making appearances. It's his job. It's his responsibility. 

I watched swimming and saw a swimmer who was missing part of one arm (forget which arm but from the elbow) win gold against swimmers with two arms in 100M backstroke.  I don't understand the different classifications they use (which I presume are to try and "equate" the competition) but any time a guy missing part of an arm can beat swimmer who have both arms color me damn impressed.

I heard a story about the US long jumper who is blind.  Pretty damn cool.

All of it is amazing on what these athletes do to compete given their situation.  

I watched swimming and saw a swimmer who was missing part of one arm (forget which arm but from the elbow) win gold against swimmers with two arms in 100M backstroke.  I don't understand the different classifications they use (which I presume are to try and "equate" the competition) but any time a guy missing part of an arm can beat swimmer who have both arms color me damn impressed.

I heard a story about the US long jumper who is blind.  Pretty damn cool.

All of it is amazing on what these athletes do to compete given their situation.  

Just thinking - it might be more important to have two legs than two arms to swim fast...

*note I do not know the situation you referenced above, just speculating*

regardless, it is always impressive how talented and resilient these athletes are. :thumbsup:

Think it is actually the arms that are dominant in swimming.

This was specifically talked about in one race I saw during the Olympics,

Not sure if it was specific to that stroke.

I'm guessing you are wrong. Your Kicking at 3-6 times the rate your arms are moving. In Freestyle, your core is very important. The shorter the race, sprinting as opposed to long distance, your legs are by far the most important. I remember that the 3 most important things in swimming races was the Start-Turns and Finishes. Starts and turns are mostly legs and timing.

I'm guessing you are wrong. Your Kicking at 3-6 times the rate your arms are moving. In Freestyle, your core is very important. The shorter the race, sprinting as opposed to long distance, your legs are by far the most important. I remember that the 3 most important things in swimming races was the Start-Turns and Finishes. Starts and turns are mostly legs and timing.

My recollection is that, for sprints, a lot of power will tend to come from the legs, but that, for longer races, the legs split duty between propulsion and balancing, and the arms therefore become more important in the distance events.

And I also recall that you're right to say that about starts and turns (I'm less clear on finishes): Once you become a fairly accomplished swimmer, your start and turn(s) are absolutely critical to having the best race possible. 

Oh, and one more thing: My recollection is also that breast stroke is uniquely dependent on the frog kick -- i.e., your arms don't do too much for you in that stroke.

Just thinking - it might be more important to have two legs than two arms to swim fast...

*note I do not know the situation you referenced above, just speculating*

regardless, it is always impressive how talented and resilient these athletes are. :thumbsup:

I would agree.  That said.. he was operating with 3.5 limbs versus 4 full.  Either way...  I've also now seen (not in Rio but elsewhere) a person who was missing parts of all 4 limbs swimming.  Just to see it was amazing.. and inspirational.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.