OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

Neo

I'm not close to the facts. The environmental conditions disturb me. I'm left wondering. Was this discussed or considered when Rio was awarded the games? Was water quality overlooked? Were conditions fine and have they deteriorated? Is this really less of an issue, considered at the time of awarding, that we're now making more of an issue?

It's a bad thing. Where'd it come from and when did we first see it?

Edited by N'eo

I'm not close to the facts. The environmental conditions disturb me. I'm left wondering. Was this discussed or considered when Rio was awarded the games? Was water quality overlooked? We're conditions fine and have they deteriorated? Is this really less of an issue, considered at the time of awarding, that we're now making more of an issue?

It is pretty widely reported that fraud is a huge problem in the selection process.  If those subjects were discussed, money made them go away.

I'd never seen anything like this. I've never seen anything like it, since.

Charles Barkley

Larry Bird

Clyde Drexler

Patrick Ewing

Magic Johnson

Michael Jordan

Christian Laettner

Karl Malone

Chris Mullin

Scottie Pippen

David Robinson

John Stockton

My personal Greatest Team of All Time.

Edited by N'eo

I'm not close to the facts. The environmental conditions disturb me. I'm left wondering. Was this discussed or considered when Rio was awarded the games? Was water quality overlooked? We're conditions fine and have they deteriorated? Is this really less of an issue, considered at the time of awarding, that we're now making more of an issue?

It is pretty widely reported that fraud is a huge problem in the selection process.  If those subjects were discussed, money made them go away.

Yeah, but when Rio was awarded the games, Brazil was looked at as an emerging economy.  The World Cup and the Olympics were to be its debut on the big stage.

Then things fell apart just a little bit.

I'm not close to the facts. The environmental conditions disturb me. I'm left wondering. Was this discussed or considered when Rio was awarded the games? Was water quality overlooked? Were conditions fine and have they deteriorated? Is this really less of an issue, considered at the time of awarding, that we're now making more of an issue?

It was a known issue, but Brazil promised to have it fixed before the games begin.

Im pretty sure there is enough ready, willing and able hard bodies so no athlete will need to pay

I read a story somewhere about how the Olympic Village is pretty steamy with Olympic-level sex. Makes sense, people training for years with a pretty sharp focus now have all the pressure off and are surrounded by similarly-aged young people in the same state. Like post-finals at college on steroids. Whoops, that's the Russians.

So, It's Olympics Eve.  (I am aware of the soccer games yesterday and today.)  Let's see what's happening!

--Police using rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse protesters:  http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/rio-2016-protests-bullets-police-woman-olympic-torch-olympics-rio-de-janeiro-protests-police-a7171391.html

--Japanese athlete racks up a $5000 tab playing Pokemon GO:  http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/3/12372352/pokemon-go-roaming-charge-brazil-kohei-uchimura

--Chinese basketball team is caught in the crossfire of a freeway shooting:  http://sportv.globo.com/site/programas/rio-2016/noticia/2016/08/chineses-postam-fotos-de-ambulantes-deitados-em-meio-tiroteio-no-rio.html

--My personal favorite, they lost the keys to a stadium:  http://www.sportingnews.com/athletics/news/rio-olympics-2016-lose-keys-olympic-stadium-boxcutters-maracana/bgayfg8y8h971faeq2x19az3o

Stay tuned for Day 1 tomorrow!

Looking forward to the men's road race Saturday morning.     It's a moderately tough course, 241km (150mi) and 3600m (12k ft) of climbing.    

The last 17k's are flat, but I expect there to be a significant separation by that point.    My favorites include Valverde, Nibali, Mollema and Aru. 

Men-RR-2-800x330.jpg

Looking forward to the men's road race Saturday morning.     It's a moderately tough course, 241km (150mi) and 3600m (12k ft) of climbing.    

The last 17k's are flat, but I expect there to be a significant separation by that point.    My favorites include Valverde, Nibali, Mollema and Aru. 

Men-RR-2-800x330.jpg

So is "Grumari" the Portugese word for "kidnapping"?  Or is it a kind of virus?

The first part is completely false. They've been a disaster for as long as I can remember when they try to go into these areas that aren't set up for the infrastructure and traffic increases.

The Olympics as we know it should disappear forever. They should only be going to places secure and capable of hosting it. Some recent cities/countries have seen hundreds of people dying working in poor conditions for poor pay to build stadiums that will fall into ruin a few years after the Olympics leave. And there have been indications there's corruption all over the process.

Blow it up and start something truly meaningful and productive.

Sounds like an economic stimulus campaign promise!

I didn't. I did.

The first part is completely false. They've been a disaster for as long as I can remember when they try to go into these areas that aren't set up for the infrastructure and traffic increases.

The Olympics as we know it should disappear forever. They should only be going to places secure and capable of hosting it. Some recent cities/countries have seen hundreds of people dying working in poor conditions for poor pay to build stadiums that will fall into ruin a few years after the Olympics leave. And there have been indications there's corruption all over the process.

The fix is more along the lines of my thinking but until I see evidence there's a desire to fix it I'll just stick with hating the Olympics and wanting it gone.

I agree Hoss. Placing the games in a country where 98% of the population is dirt poor and where re roofing your house means putting up another sheet of plastic just does not make any sense. Where does the money come from for these games ? Thats right. Tax the poor and cut programs for the poor. Not that many years ago there was a story about off duty cops in Rio forming hit squads to kill street kids. I wonder if that sort of stuff happened leading up to these games ? And with the cheating that apparently happened in Sochi with the Russian team it doesn't take a leap to support the notion that all countries in some form or another have state sponsored cheating happening. The olympics is a scam that benefits very few people. 

The fix is more along the lines of my thinking but until I see evidence there's a desire to fix it I'll just stick with hating the Olympics and wanting it gone.

I've been meaning to reply to this. I get what you meant by your post, I was just being cheeky.

The IOC is what's bad and needs to be done away with. The Olympics are wonderful! Athletes from all over, at the highest level of their sport, competing, not for money, but for the honor of it. It's great! I cling to the sappy ideals of the Olympics. Citius, Altius, Fortius: Faster, Higher, Stronger. The IOC thinks that they ARE the Olympics, and for now with all the crooked that they have been up to for however many decades, they actually might believe it's all about them. But for me, and my opinion probably doesn't matter very much to them, or to anyone else for that matter, the Olympics will always be about the athletes.

I've never met an Olympic athlete or coach who had anything nice to say about the IOC. F*** those guys.

I kind of still watch the Olympics, but truthfully my interest in them has waned since they began allowing pro athletes to compete.  Yeah, I know back in the Soviet days that most of their "amateur" athletes actually were professionals that trained full time (they had " real jobs", but in name only).  When the USA basketball "Dream Team" cleaned the clocks of all of the other teams, well there wasn't much sportsmanship in that. 

There are some events (swimming, kayaking, etc.) where there are no true professional "leagues", so those competitions are a little more interesting. Many of the sports I won't watch at all (basketball being one).

Now, the opening and closing ceremonies - I'm good with a little regional music and dance, maybe a little history thrown in.  But why do we have to have 25 minutes of interpretive theater mimicking the settlement of the Amazon basin?  We all know the main events are the march-in of the athletes and the lighting of the torch.  Play a little music, have some quick dances (with historical references), have the athletes march in and then light the torch - that's it.  90 minutes at most.  Actually, tonight's opening ceremony will be interesting to see how much stuff fails to come off as planned.

Edited by Sabre Dance

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.