Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

I have never heard of someone surrendering at a police station being handcuffed outside the station for the "arrest". Does anyone know if Buffalo has its own booking/processing at their headquarters, or if it is done in a "central/county" booking center (In Lehigh County, PA, ALL booking is done at the central booking center). If someone surrenders and is transported to booking, they would be cuffed for transport - policy, no exceptions, for us. The only time someone rides in the back for a "courtesy transport" (victim/parent etc...) the cabin camera must be on. We are very strict that way, so I could understand if they needed to abide by procedures. This may even be "walking him" to specific area of the station.

All of that being said,  from the booking/arrest sheets shown in the article (it says read police reports, but I didn't see any report) it looks like tres. is the highest charge. If one of the lawyers can clarify, does New York have a mis. Dis Con charge? We have both summary (ticket) dis con and mis dis con. (in PA). We wouldn't use tres. for what was described - bouncer asking him to leave, he refused.  We do have summary har. charges (similar to what was described) but that would still be criminal charges, not "violations". And no booking sheet is generated (in PA) for summary charges - they are equal to traffic tickets. 

Love the player, but if you cannot get your head so far removed from your ass, then you need to go.  This is when you become a bad stain on a franchise.  I'm tired of this .  He seems like a good enough person, but he needs to get his head on straight otherwise, he's KHL bound.  

What the hell is "non-criminal" harassment? And how can you be arrested for a non-crime? And how is choking a women non-criminal?

From the Wkbw link above:

"He came up to me, gave me a hug then proceeded to put his hands around my neck for a couple seconds - almost losing my breath. Then I got out of that situation and then later in the night he came back up, he pulled my shirt down and said inappropriate things and then later in the night again for the last thing took me by my wrists and dragged me to the back of Bottoms Up, took me to his car saying, cause I was screaming trying to say, 'Stop, stop, stop.' He said, 'You're making a scene, get in my car, you slut.' And then I proceeded to go back to the bouncers at Bottoms Up.

Only off the sidewalk at T-Foots when my brother is working. Im pretty sure Whiskey, who is not my bro, has never done anything to get bounced.

I'm 5'10 and 140 pounds. Your brother wouldn't bounce me, he'd snap me in half.

Also, I can confirm that handcuffing is standard practice for all criminal arrests, and the are ZFG about who's watching. It's a safety protocol.

I have never heard of someone surrendering at a police station being handcuffed outside the station for the "arrest". Does anyone know if Buffalo has its own booking/processing at their headquarters, or if it is done in a "central/county" booking center (In Lehigh County, PA, ALL booking is done at the central booking center). If someone surrenders and is transported to booking, they would be cuffed for transport - policy, no exceptions, for us. The only time someone rides in the back for a "courtesy transport" (victim/parent etc...) the cabin camera must be on. We are very strict that way, so I could understand if they needed to abide by procedures. This may even be "walking him" to specific area of the station.

All of that being said,  from the booking/arrest sheets shown in the article (it says read police reports, but I didn't see any report) it looks like tres. is the highest charge. If one of the lawyers can clarify, does New York have a mis. Dis Con charge? We have both summary (ticket) dis con and mis dis con. (in PA). We wouldn't use tres. for what was described - bouncer asking him to leave, he refused.  We do have summary har. charges (similar to what was described) but that would still be criminal charges, not "violations". And no booking sheet is generated (in PA) for summary charges - they are equal to traffic tickets.

With all due respect to the police, this was STUPID and has/will backfire. I suppose he was handcuffed to protect the public while he walked the few extra steps into the station and had nothing to do with a tipped off photographer being present.

Channel 2 yesterday: The cuffing was extremely unusual. For a misdemeanor like this involving a celebrity, normal procedure would have been to simply agree on an arraignment date and bail conditions.

Some pretty blatant grandstanding. I can't imagine Cambria wouls allow his client to be treated like that. Maybe its a part of the "punishment"? Idk...

According to the attorney on Ch 2 yesterday evening, yes.

This stuff is not what I do, but it is what he does, so I'm gonna trust him.

We need to bring back the pillory. These public cuffings aren't enough for me. #perpwalknation Edited by SwampD

Some pretty blatant grandstanding. I can't imagine Cambria wouls allow his client to be treated like that. Maybe its a part of the "punishment"? Idk...

Maybe Cambria should have gone with him.  His office is only a block away from where that picture was taken.

I am one who has deep feelings for civil rights but do we need to reduce everything to white,black,or whatever color of choice? Once again the media seems to and we buy into it. Is there any such things as objective thinking or do we automatically assume the worst?

This whole situation is ridiculous though. The trumped up charge and the dog-and-pony handcuff show, none of which happened with ROR or Patrick Kane. I understand these are different scenarios, but I doubt they were any less guilty. In either case, their situations were very suspect. Call it what you want, but they guy has an obvious target on his back.

The charges are crap. Under no circumstances, with the lawyer he has, will he serve jail time or be found guilty. So, you have to ask, what is the purpose of this or who will benefit?

This was not done at the Sabres request. It kills his trade value. If the Sabres were involved, they would told BPD to kill the charges and they would ship him out of town.

Edited by kas23

I'm OK with him still on this team. Do I like the stuff he is doing? No.  But if he IS still going to be in the NHL with SOME team and getting paid, I'm OK with the Sabres being it.  With that said, I think it is about time the NHL (or Sabres) come down with a 10 game suspension on him (WITHOUT PAY).  Money is valuable to just about everyone but it seems REALLY important to Kane, lets see the league take that step.

This was not done at the Sabres request. It kills his trade value. If the Sabres were involved, they would told BPD to kill the charges and they would ship him out of town.

His trade value was shot before yesterday. His reformation is the only way to recover it, and it's obvious he needs to be compelled to reform.

With all due respect to the police, this was STUPID and has/will backfire. I suppose he was handcuffed to protect the public while he walked the few extra steps into the station and had nothing to do with a tipped off photographer being present.

My whole point was that it may not have been a decision made by the police that did the intake - If all he did was walk in, it would not have happened here. I was asking if he had to be transported somewhere, in which case I would have understood it. Every dept. / state is different. For a mis. 3, in my county, it wouldn't have been done. But in PA, we don't arrest for non-criminal offences, either.

My whole point was that it may not have been a decision made by the police that did the intake - If all he did was walk in, it would not have happened here. I was asking if he had to be transported somewhere, in which case I would have understood it. Every dept. / state is different. For a mis. 3, in my county, it wouldn't have been done. But in PA, we don't arrest for non-criminal offences, either.

He did not have to be transported anywhere. 

I wonder. I wonder if GMTM told the police to book him on something. Not to screw Kane permanently, but to teach a hard lesson. Maybe they think he seeing pictures of himself being cuffed all over the news would have positive outcomes for him over the long term.

Nothing in this post makes sense.

What the hell is "non-criminal" harassment? And how can you be arrested for a non-crime? And how is choking a women non-criminal?

From the Wkbw link above:

"He came up to me, gave me a hug then proceeded to put his hands around my neck for a couple seconds - almost losing my breath. Then I got out of that situation and then later in the night he came back up, he pulled my shirt down and said inappropriate things and then later in the night again for the last thing took me by my wrists and dragged me to the back of Bottoms Up, took me to his car saying, cause I was screaming trying to say, 'Stop, stop, stop.' He said, 'You're making a scene, get in my car, you slut.' And then I proceeded to go back to the bouncers at Bottoms Up.

If this is the truth of what happened, he should be moved far far away from Buffalo. That behavior is intolerable and if true, done with him.

No, the Buffalo News and some here are doing that.

We're past the point of blaming others for Kanes lack of mental maturity and making excuses for his actions. He is sleeping in the bed that he made. Anything coming out through the media or a msg board is a result of his actions not anyone else. I'm thinking that most here would gladly be talking about Jimmy V or any of a number of other threads rather than talk about a guy we all gave the benefit of a doubt hoping he would succeed in Buffalo and become the player we all thought he would become. He still could but he has to stop the stupid or he could eventually find his way out of this league. Thats on him.

We're past the point of blaming others for Kanes lack of mental maturity and making excuses for his actions. He is sleeping in the bed that he made. Anything coming out through the media or a msg board is a result of his actions not anyone else. I'm thinking that most here would gladly be talking about Jimmy V or any of a number of other threads rather than talk about a guy we all gave the benefit of a doubt hoping he would succeed in Buffalo and become the player we all thought he would become. He still could but he has to stop the stupid or he could eventually find his way out of this league. Thats on him.

Precisely. The accusations are ugly and borderline unforgivable but most are acting like he's a victim. Who cares if they set it up so a photo could be taken? He allegedly did some nasty things and, if they're true, he deserves it all.

That's not the point.  The Buffalo News doesn't just blame Kane - they have to add that it's incompetence on the part of the organization and that Sullivan was right about it.  Why can't the piece say "The Sabres took a chance on Kane and he's blowing it"?  The answer is because they're really bad at what they do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.