Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor charge for June nightclub incident

Hoss

I thought they sold beer there in the '80s when I first moved to DFW.  I could be wrong. 

When I went to see the Bills there about 2000, there was a crap-ton of alcohol in the parking lot.  I went with a friend, and just walking in from where we parked, we were drunk when we went in the gate.  (I was in Bills colors, my friend is a Cowboys fan.)

Why? Does it fall outside of your thought bubble of approved Twitter accounts, writers and posters?

I want to hear more of this opinion and not less.

My bet is that it has to to with the word "lynching," the fact that Kane is black, and that Aud wasn't that serious about it.

I thought they sold beer there in the '80s when I first moved to DFW.  I could be wrong. 

When I went to see the Bills there about 2000, there was a crap-ton of alcohol in the parking lot.  I went with a friend, and just walking in from where we parked, we were drunk when we went in the gate.  (I was in Bills colors, my friend is a Cowboys fan.)

Doubtful. Jerrah was pretty ticked he couldn't get that mausoleum reclassified as a "fine dining" restaurant. The Pokes going 1-15 might've had something to do w/ that. ;)

Why? Does it fall outside of your thought bubble of approved Twitter accounts, writers and posters?

I want to hear more of this opinion and not less.

Eleven had it about right. But I'm probably a bit more serious on the topic than not. When it comes to talking about people who are black, it's just better to avoid the metaphor of lynching altogether.

My bet is that it has to to with the word "lynching," the fact that Kane is black, and that Aud wasn't that serious about it.

Eleven had it about right. But I'm probably a bit more serious on the topic than not. When it comes to talking about people who are black, it's just better to avoid the metaphor of lynching altogether.

You guys probably remember what Clarence Thomas once said.

You guys probably remember what Clarence Thomas once said.

Not really. But I think it's different if a black person invokes the metaphor about how a black person is being treated because, you know, black people used to be lynched because they were black. Call it a matter of standing.

If (presumably) white folks are on a hockey message board (anything whiter in the world?) talking about how a black hockey player's being treated, I say it's best to avoid using the term.

I'm sure Carl Paladino would differ with me on this. And then maybe he'd blame an intern.

It's helpful for me to remember the original context:

Don't let that minor detail derail this public lynching. In fact, I heard he was parked in a handicapped spot too. Should've shackled him.

The fact that some (white) people are dog-piling on the (black) rabbit a bit shouldn't be likened to a lynching. Not in my book, anyway.

(And I don't mean to make too much of this, kas23. Sorry if it seems like I am.)

Edited by That Aud Smell

If (presumably) white folks are on a hockey message board (anything whiter in the world?) talking about how a black hockey player's being treated, I say it's best to avoid using the term.

I'm sure Carl Paladino would differ with me on this. And then maybe he'd blame an intern.

It's helpful for me to remember the original context:

The fact that some (white) people are dog-piling on the (black) rabbit a bit shouldn't be likened to a lynching. Not in my book, anyway.

(And I don't mean to make too much of this, kas23. Sorry if it seems like I am.)

I agree. It was said tongue-in-cheek and was likely insensitive. I didn't mean to disrespect the plight of how African-Americans were treated in the past. However, I still think this is being done in the very same spirit and is blatantly prejudicial. The club said he was not trespassing, but he was arrested (with much fanfare) for that very same thing. That does not add up. This simply would not be happening if he was white. Sorry for bringing race into it, but I'm a Conservative and even I think this situation stinks.

If he did those horrible things to those women, then arrest him for that crime. If they don't have the proof to prosecute him for these accusations, then maybe they are just that.

Edited by kas23

I agree. It was said tongue-in-cheek and was likely insensitive. I didn't mean to disrespect the plight of how African-Americans were treated in the past. However, I still think this is being done in the very same spirit and is blatantly prejudicial. The club said he was not trespassing, but he was arrested (with much fanfare) for that very same thing. That does not add up. This simply would not be happening if he was white. Sorry for bringing race into it, but I'm a Conservative and even I think this situation stinks.

If he did those horrible things to those women, then arrest him for that crime. If they don't have the proof to prosecute him for these accusations, then maybe they are just that.

No worries, no worries. I'm being a little pedantic about the issue anyway. You were gracious in your reply.

I agree that there's something fishy about the staged arrest, especially given that the bar's management wants nothing to do with the charges on which that arrest was based.

Gosh that's a pretty big stretch to invoke racism.  Your post doesn't make sense all the way to tongue and cheek to arrest him for that crime.

The only thing I can see having an issue with is the picture being taken - but taking a picture of a known person has been happening for a very long time and isn't inherently racial.

Edited by 7+6=13

It may be the more "serious" charge but if all this was, was Kane trespassing we'd call it antics and move on. The serious part is how he treats women and if those accusations are true. If they are true, the pulling off her shirt and dragging her outside crap, guy needs to go.

So, if Patrick Kane was accused of grabbing a woman by the throat, pulling her hair, and trying to force her into a car after calling her a slut, he wouldn't have any charges brought against him? All four complainants, the three women and bouncer, would have decided NOT to press charges because P Kane is white? That is absurd. 

So, if Patrick Kane was accused of grabbing a woman by the throat, pulling her hair, and trying to force her into a car after calling her a slut, he wouldn't have any charges brought against him? All four complainants, the three women and bouncer, would have decided NOT to press charges because P Kane is white? That is absurd. 

I'm not sure that's what he's saying.

It may be the more "serious" charge but if all this was, was Kane trespassing we'd call it antics and move on. The serious part is how he treats women and if those accusations are true. If they are true, the pulling off her shirt and dragging her outside crap, guy needs to go.

Indeed. I'm an advocate of second chances. In the case of abusing women there is almost no way I'm giving you an immediate second chance. You have to redeem yourself with ruthless work to prevent the types of crimes you committed. Ray Rice is an example of somebody who has truly gone out of his way to repay his debt to his wife and abused women.

Michael Vick is another athlete who went above and beyond to show how foolish he was and has done a world of good to end animal abuse.

It's not all over for Kane if the accusations are true, but he's got work to do and I'm not interested in having him here until that work is done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.