Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

Funny was thinking on where to fit Moulson, but if he has a good offseason I can see this happening:

Moulson - O'Reilly - Okposo

A good Moulson can get us 30 goals again.

I really can't see him topping 20 goals again, let alone 30.

I can see him contributing 10g/15a though, and that's all we really need from him, all money issues aside.

Ah summer, the time of irrational hope. Matt Moulson is a completely useless hockey player at this juncture, and I predict he ends up in Rochester for more games than he's in Buffalo.

This seems about right. The canary in the coal mine was the story about his fitness level. I don't believe for a second the story showed that Moulson didn't care anymore and was just sitting around on off days eating those frozen Snickers out of his freezer like they were potato chips. I don't think his body is capable of doing the things asked of him by the conditioning staff, and that necessarily means he can't effectively play the NHL game that exists in 2016.

I'm not one for false hope, but I do believe in good people. And Matty Mo is good people.

You people without kids and family might not appreciate this, but I'm willing to believe Moulson allowed himself to get soft because he was happy with his situation: big, lengthy contract, kids and wife happy at home, babysitter to the team's superstar...

It can happen without even recognizing it. He's no dummy and has a sense of honour. I'm willing to see if he can/has changed his habits and upped his game during the off season.

I think he can be still good for 20 goals the next few seasons if he puts the work in.

I'm not one for false hope, but I do believe in good people. And Matty Mo is good people.

You people without kids and family might not appreciate this, but I'm willing to believe Moulson allowed himself to get soft because he was happy with his situation: big, lengthy contract, kids and wife happy at home, babysitter to the team's superstar...

It can happen without even recognizing it. He's no dummy and has a sense of honour. I'm willing to see if he can/has changed his habits and upped his game during the off season.

I think he can be still good for 20 goals the next few seasons if he puts the work in.

Not sure I agree with the last sentence, but this is a very insightful reading of the Moulson situation.

The rent at Moulson's is cheap.

:w00t:

"Because, Buffalo ...."

A phrase turns a corner?

"What sold me was ... it's the chance to win a Stanley Cup, and I think that we have a lot of pieces in play that can help us achieve that goal; that was the first factor."

Living in the Dallas market, this is like deja vu when I heard that the Dallas Stars had signed Brett Hull.  I knew then that the Stars had a real shot at the Cup.  Hull was saying a lot of the same things when he signed.  Let's hope Okposo is Buffalo's Brett Hull- the guy who scores the goal that wins the Cup (and hopefully this will be a nice, clean one).

Look at you, daring to violate board orthodoxy! Be prepared to be cyber-bullied, but you'll have to wait until 5.

No, PA, it's just you.

:flirt:

I'll believe that when I see it!

All I know is Ronnie Harmon always had his helmet.

Edited by Robin Egg

I personally also think that the potential of him playing with Okposo again , someone who knows him very well on the ice might help in that.

He won't get it for free, but he'll get a shot at play off wing for Okposo, If ennis somehow doesn't fit there that is.   

Kane for me goes with Eichel and Reinhart again.   He can protect our kids on the ice.

Bit surprising the islanders made no effort at all to resign him though.

When you read other boards , and read comments from other teams fan bases they make it seem like this will be a second moulson for us.

But was nice to find out he didn't spend that much time with JT on the ice as is believed.    Around 45% of his ice time was spend with tavares.

Whatever happens Okposo will be a leader, and a force for us in our top 6.

Edited by Huckleberry

"Because, Buffalo ...."

A phrase turns a corner?

Not yet for me. Okposo stated he has family in the area and that he already knew what a diamond in the rough Buffalo is. "Because Buffalo" exists because Buffalo (heh) is largely considered a wasteland by those with no personal knowledge of the area. This signing and the Draft certainly help though, I can see the corner but it hasn't been turned yet.

Not yet for me. Okposo stated he has family in the area and that he already knew what a diamond in the rough Buffalo is. "Because Buffalo" exists because Buffalo (heh) is largely considered a wasteland by those with no personal knowledge of the area. This signing and the Draft certainly help though, I can see the corner but it hasn't been turned yet.

Not to be nit picky with you but I think he said he had friends of family in the Buffalo area that he had the opportunity to speak to. Having said that he did sound like he had Buffalo very high on his list.

"What sold me was ... it's the chance to win a Stanley Cup, and I think that we have a lot of pieces in play that can help us achieve that goal; that was the first factor."

Living in the Dallas market, this is like deja vu when I heard that the Dallas Stars had signed Brett Hull.  I knew then that the Stars had a real shot at the Cup.  Hull was saying a lot of the same things when he signed.  Let's hope Okposo is Buffalo's Brett Hull- the guy who scores the goal that wins the Cup (and hopefully this will be a nice, clean one).

"I was originally going to wait and see what was available on the free agent market. After the Sabres acquired my rights and I spoke with Terry Pegula and Darcy Regier, I did my due diligence on the team and I was very impressed. I called some former teammates and others in the NHL who also had great things to say and I was aware that Robyn Regehr had waived his no-trade clause in his contract this week to join the Sabres. My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen.”

Christian Ehrhoff.

They all say it.

I totally get it and I hope you're right about the 20 goals!  if we get 20 goals out of Moulson it's going to be a great season.

I see two differences:

(1) KO's contract is widely viewed as at or below fair value. He probably could have got more. CE got a huge payday, there wasn't more money elsewhere.

(2) I heard all his comments after "Especially Jack" as filler to avoid saying just "I'm gonna get to play with a great center, on either top line, that matters to me."

If this is different, it probably has nothing to do with the actual city, region, organization, but everything to do with the fact that we have players that good players want to play with. Similar to Hossa in CHI.

Edited by Whiskey Bottle of Emotion

I personally also think that the potential of him playing with Okposo again , someone who knows him very well on the ice might help in that.

He won't get it for free, but he'll get a shot at play off wing for Okposo, If ennis somehow doesn't fit there that is.

I think we're forgetting the way Moulson sucked last year. He wasn't just getting unlucky, missing shots. He'd go 10 games without coming close to a scoring chance. Getting to play with a different buddy of his than those he had on the team last year won't magically make him any better. It's not a chemistry issue, or an issue of not being friends with people (he played with the kid who lived with him until it was obvious that he was a giant anchor)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.