Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

https://www.nhl.com/news/kyle-okposo-excited-to-be-with-buffalo-jack-eichel/c-281133012?tid=277548856

Under, easily. Jack is the only one with a shot at 35

Yeah but , he might now he'll be playing with a good center all the time, O'reilly or Eichel.   He'll be set up a lot more then with the Islanders 5 on 5.

Also gmtm wanted a PP QB, Okposo if I see his goals on the PP, he usually starts out on the back end.

I am excited for Okposo to join the lineup. He has grit and has played a lot of hockey. We need a touch more age up top and I think Okposo gives you some maturity to go with that talent. I could see him getting 25 goals and 30-35assists next season on a line with ROR. Should be fun to watch. Super pumped we got the best UFA this year. 

Who would you like him with? Eichel, if so why do you feel that way.

I am honestly open to whatever. Reinhart can play up or down and Okposo is good.

Okposo is ROR on the wings. Jack is terrible in his own end, and Okposo has experience grooming a young center like Jack. I know we all love Reinhart and Jack together, but it makes more sense to split them up IMO

Okposo is ROR on the wings. Jack is terrible in his own end, and Okposo has experience grooming a young center like Jack. I know we all love Reinhart and Jack together, but it makes more sense to split them up IMO

I get the sentiment, and Jack playing with Okposo would I suspect work very well. But there is nothing wrong with playing like-players together. ROR and Okposo playing together would work very well too, I think. It's my preference as I'd like Okposo on the top line.

I get the sentiment, and Jack playing with Okposo would I suspect work very well. But there is nothing wrong with playing like-players together. ROR and Okposo playing together would work very well too, I think. It's my preference as I'd like Okposo on the top line.

Do we even have a top line?

I am excited for Okposo to join the lineup. He has grit and has played a lot of hockey. We need a touch more age up top and I think Okposo gives you some maturity to go with that talent. I could see him getting 25 goals and 30-35assists next season on a line with ROR. Should be fun to watch. Super pumped we got the best UFA this year.

nope, according to the Canadian sports media Edmonton got the best UFA this year with Lucic

Am I the only one that doesn't want him with ROR?

Is it that you don't like the combo, or that you like him with Jack more?

Because ROR and KO would be hell to play against.

One of the things I like about Okposo is that his game is well-round enough he can make any line better.

I've already convinced myself that if Dan stumbles into a line combination I like, it's not going to last anyway.

The only one that did was Foligno/Larsson/Gionta and that may have to split up for depth reasons if sign Vesey and don't make a trade.

One of the things I like about Okposo is that his game is well-round enough he can make any line better.

I've already convinced myself that if Dan stumbles into a line combination I like, it's not going to last anyway.

The only one that did was Foligno/Larsson/Gionta and that may have to split up for depth reasons if sign Vesey and don't make a trade.

Ya, Kane could be moved down if our top 6 LWs become Tyler and Jimmy.

Oh it's entirely that I just want Okposo with Jack, not that I don't want him with ROR. If Jack was 2-3 years more seasoned, or could play in his own end even somewhat, I wouldn't care. I get that Reinhart is good in his own end too, but not nearly to the level that Okposo is

This is just not a move that lit the fan base on fire. Kyle Okposo is a pretty big unknown for many fans — 78.2% of people pronounce the "k." Not surprising given the hockey wasteland he played in.

Thanks for this, I'll not embarrass myself when I talk about him. "Isle Oak-po-so" it is!

https://www.nhl.com/news/kyle-okposo-excited-to-be-with-buffalo-jack-eichel/c-281133012?tid=277548856

Yeah but , he might now he'll be playing with a good center all the time, O'reilly or Eichel.   He'll be set up a lot more then with the Islanders 5 on 5.

Also gmtm wanted a PP QB, Okposo if I see his goals on the PP, he usually starts out on the back end.

He played with Tavares, who is easily better than any Sabre right now, or Nielsen, who is a good two-way 50 point center. If we compare O'Reilly to Tavares, Tavares wins, and Jack is a 50 point center as of right now with no two-way ability to speak of, and Sam has never hit 50. I'm aware of their ceilings, but he's not immediately entering a situation that would make me comfortable calling a 35 goal season.

Am I the only one that doesn't want him with ROR?

Yes, now go flog yourself for that opinion.

Really though, I just don't think Okposo is as good defensively as you're making him out to be. He's certainly capable of holding his own, but I don't think he's some stud that can really cover for Jack's deficiencies...at least not any better than Reinhart can. I envision XXX-ROR-Okposo as our clear #1 all-situations line, matching up against the other team's best night in night out. I love me some Samson, but I'm not sure if he's quite ready for that duty yet--we know Okposo can do it.

...besides, we all know Bylsma is going to toss his lines in a blender within 3 microseconds of puck drop :p

Surprised to see no comments about his presser.

Or are we not interested in well-spoken first-line wingers who have other options and choose to come to Buffalo?

"Contenders for a long time. I'm here to be raising banners. If Vesey knew the league, he'd know why he should pick the Sabres."

That was a well-mannered 10-minute smackdown to the "because Buffalo" crowd.

Hey, F U, I haven't listened to it! :p

But if it poops on "Because Buffalo" then I will most definitely put it on my list for morning coffee tomorrow.

Yes, now go flog yourself for that opinion.

Really though, I just don't think Okposo is as good defensively as you're making him out to be. He's certainly capable of holding his own, but I don't think he's some stud that can really cover for Jack's deficiencies...at least not any better than Reinhart can. I envision XXX-ROR-Okposo as our clear #1 all-situations line, matching up against the other team's best night in night out. I love me some Samson, but I'm not sure if he's quite ready for that duty yet--we know Okposo can do it.

...besides, we all know Bylsma is going to toss his lines in a blender within 3 microseconds of puck drop :p

Hey, F U, I haven't listened to it! :p

But if it poops on "Because Buffalo" then I will most definitely put it on my list for morning coffee tomorrow.

You really think Okposo and Reinhart are near equal defensively?

Or are you just upset I gave someone ROR status ????

You also mention our top line as a shutdown or going up against top lines. DD and Larsson will flog you for that

Edited by WildCard

You really think Okposo and Reinhart are near equal defensively?

Or are you just upset I gave someone ROR status

You also mention our top line as a shutdown or going up against top lines. DD and Larsson will flog you for that

Yes.

Also yes. Possibly a stronger yes than #1. You have balls, I'll give you that kid.

Guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too with this one. Last year ROR was given the toughest matchups, but was also given more offensive opportunity, hence all-situations #1 line. I don't think the Larsson line is Bylsma's 1st choice to match up with the Crosby and Getzlafs of the world, but it's certainly his #2 choice and will often get tasked with that assignment since ROR gets so much special teams time. One would hope Larsson earned some more PK time, and Bylsma won't feed ROR 21+ minutes this year.

I'm not super sure on Okposo as while I've seen a fair bit of him, I hadn't been paying too much attention to his defensive work. But Reinhart already looked pretty good defensively. He's just so sound positionally. In a few years I'm confident he'll be the definition of a two way player. I'm already reasonably confident from a defensive standpoint when he's on the ice.

I am just very enamoured by an X - O'Reilly - Okposo line. Who knows who that LW will be now (probably Ennis), but that line is going to be able to put up offensive numbers while grinding teams down. Pretty darn excited.

Edited by Thorny

Yes.

Also yes. Possibly a stronger yes than #1. You have balls, I'll give you that kid.

Guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too with this one. Last year ROR was given the toughest matchups, but was also given more offensive opportunity, hence all-situations #1 line. I don't think the Larsson line is Bylsma's 1st choice to match up with the Crosby and Getzlafs of the world, but it's certainly his #2 choice and will often get tasked with that assignment since ROR gets so much special teams time. One would hope Larsson earned some more PK time, and Bylsma won't feed ROR 21+ minutes this year.

I demand stats!

I'll look them up tomorrow :lol:

nope, according to the Canadian sports media Edmonton got the best UFA this year with Lucic

Lols, maybe Edmonton should make the playoffs first.

Oh it's entirely that I just want Okposo with Jack, not that I don't want him with ROR. If Jack was 2-3 years more seasoned, or could play in his own end even somewhat, I wouldn't care. I get that Reinhart is good in his own end too, but not nearly to the level that Okposo is

I think Reinhart is going to be hell to play against in a couple years. That said, I'd love to put him with ROR to teach him that game and how to center

Every time I go to play with lines I just end up maddeningly frustrated that we won't have consistent lines until February. Is there a stat for line consistency for a team, I'll bet we're close to last.

I don't this coming season will be anything like last season.  There was a huge turnover in players last year, a new coach who didn't know the players, a new system, and no knowledge about player chemistry.  Last year was for learning. 

Much of that learning will carry over to this year.  DD knows who responds well to whom, the players know his system, it's really just a matter of integrating a small number of players into the team.  DD won't be routinely exploring new line combinations in February; I expect that to settle down in the first month of the season.  If he's still tinkering in February it will be to address specific issues that come up (injuries, slumps, etc.)

Edited by Robin Egg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.