Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

Agreed re: depth.

Any of those guys you listed though would be on their off wing on the top line, be it Gionta, Bailey, Fasching or Nylander. Although Nylander plays both sides. You could do it, but we'd be running all top 3 lines with guys on their off wing. Might still be ok.

Could keep the same basic idea and do:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Vesey - Eichel - Girgensons

Ennis - Reinhart - Bailey

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Looks pretty good actually.

That's a formidable two-way first line.

Or if you want more balance, switch Bailey and Okposo.

Dan is really going to drive us nuts this year, isn't he?

Not sure who was discussing it on WGR on the 1st, but it was brought up by a couple people in terms of advanced stats that Eichel was the most productive with Kane on his line. Take my extremely vague statement for what it's worth, but it was something that came up when they were talking about possible line combinations. 

I thought Kane was figuring out how to be effective with Jack and Samson toward the end of last season.

Might be better to try an Ennis/Vesey, ROR, Okposo combination to start the year.

On another note, wanted to post this goal from last season:

https://www.nhl.com/video/c-42274103

Good memory of not only how good Sam is, but of what Kane can do. This was a great forcheck with speed that led to a big goal. I truly hope he is able to make it work here.

Man I forgot how smart Sam is.  Is it October yet?

On a Okposo thread and my first thought was of Vesey flying into town.  :doh:

Right.  And I still don't know who's flying with their family into Buffalo tonight.  Can anyone provide a straight answer?

Edited by Robin Egg

That's a formidable two-way first line.

Or if you want more balance, switch Bailey and Okposo.

Dan is really going to drive us nuts this year, isn't he?

Yes.

Man I forgot how smart Sam is.  Is it October yet?

No.

....but yes in my mind.

Surprised to see no comments about his presser.

Or are we not interested in well-spoken first-line wingers who have other options and choose to come to Buffalo?

"Contenders for a long time. I'm here to be raising banners. If Vesey knew the league, he'd know why he should pick the Sabres."

That was a well-mannered 10-minute smackdown to the "because Buffalo" crowd.

Edited by dudacek

Or are we not interested in well-spoken first-line wingers who have other options and choose to come to Buffalo?

Yeah. Like the radio hosts say, the after-game show generally has 2 or 3 times as many calls after a loss as it does after a win.

It's much the same for message board threads.

I have not even really thought about Okposo. I just plugged him into my lineup and moved on. He was a backup plan to Stamkos for me.

But man, thinking about it, he is exciting. We're talking about a guy who should be a 20-30 goal scorer for the next 3-5 years or so. In so many ways he's the exact guy we wanted for this team. Not great defensively, but a true goal scorer. Plus he chose us. Think noone else would have offered him that same contract? Fat chance, we didn't just win in a bidding contest; he looked at the teams who approached him and said "I have the best chance of putting up numbers with those guys, lets do it." This is exciting, I should be much more excited about it that I have been. When does the season start again?

For anyone who wasn't in the playoffs or bust line as I am, this has to push the dial for you. For season ticket holders all I want to say is WHHHHHEEEEEE 

WHHHHHEEEEEE

WHHHHHEEEEEE

:)

"Contenders for a long time. I'm here to be raising banners. If Vesey knew the league, he'd know why he should pick the Sabres."

That was a well-mannered 10-minute smackdown to the "because Buffalo" crowd.

I changed my Twitter header to a graphic of Okposo from the conference featuring one of his quotes... Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.