Sabres sign RW Kyle Okposo for 7 years, $42 mill

Hoss

I've also read it was around 50/50 with and without Tavares. 

Two things I like though.  1. Sounds like he played well away from Tavares and he didn't just rack up points due to his linemates.  2. Even if he picked up most his points playing with Tavares I'm perfectly fine with that.  Shows he can play with a superstar player and put up numbers.  E Kane is a good player in a lot of ways but he's not suited to playing with a guy like Jack IMO so it's good to know KO is someone who can compliment a star player nicely. 

This is exactly the opposite opinion expressed on Isles sites.  KO kills flow when playing with Tavares because he holds the puck too much.  All said to keep him away from Eichel.  ROR seems more logical.  Again from those fans who have watched more closely but also have an axe to grind.  

This is exactly the opposite opinion expressed on Isles sites.  KO kills flow when playing with Tavares because he holds the puck too much.  All said to keep him away from Eichel.  ROR seems more logical.  Again from those fans who have watched more closely but also have an axe to grind.  

Interesting.  I think I would like to see him more with ROR anyways.  Let's just hope DD doesn't spend 30 games figuring out the lines again this year.

I'm not saying this is wrong, but Isles fans seem a little, and I hate this term but my mental thesaurus is lacking today, butthurt over the Okposo thing. Checking out the HFboards a little and I'm seeing a lot about how he's terrible w/o Tavares, which pretty clearly isn't true, or that he's injury riddled and always hurt, except he's played about 80% of regular season games in his career, which sounds about normal. Again, this could all be accurate, but I'm not taking Isle's fans word for it at this point. I think the end game is Okposo with O'Reilly anyways.

Notice I did say "axe to grind."  But a lot of hf boards were leaves fans trying to discount the trade.  Those Isles fans almost to a man held the view that while respected as a man he won't be missed too much as a player due to some of the issues I mentioned. I think ROR or Sam would be perfect centers for him.

Well if DD keeps up with what he said last year than jack and samson won't be broken up.

Ennis - O'Reilly - Okposo is a nice line.

Well if DD keeps up with what he said last year than jack and samson won't be broken up.

Ennis - O'Reilly - Okposo is a nice line.

This would be my choice if we sign Vesey. Assuming we don't, I think Ennis plays with Eichel and Reinhart. Kane would probably play up top with ROR and Okposo. Gotta say, I think that would be a whale of a line to play against.

This would be my choice if we sign Vesey. Assuming we don't, I think Ennis plays with Eichel and Reinhart. Kane would probably play up top with ROR and Okposo. Gotta say, I think that would be a whale of a line to play against.

Maybe my thinking is a bit antiquated but i like a little more beef on each line. Ennis, Eichel, Reino provides very little beef.

Maybe my thinking is a bit antiquated but i like a little more beef on each line. Ennis, Eichel, Reino provides very little beef.

I think they would be capable of looking after themselves.

But if not Vesey or Ennis, we'd be looking at Kane there if we wanted more physicality on that line, and he didn't look good with Eichel last season.

There's Girgensons, but I'd much rather have Vesey or Ennis there, as their finishing ability would be much appreciated on that line.

It just seems like there is less thug players left in the league to worry about. I mean if someone runs Sam, Risto, Bogo, Kane (if here), Lehner, Foligno, McCabe will probably go after them. I think that talent is going to trump thuggery 9 out of 10 times and if a line gets run then they need to respond. 

It's their defensive game that worries me. Okposo is amazing in his own end, he should be on that line with the two sophomores

It's their defensive game that worries me. Okposo is amazing in his own end, he should be on that line with the two sophomores

From what I see that's not really an option, as Okposo really only plays RW, and that's where Sam would have to play. If Okposo could switch to the left, sure, but from what I read he's playing RW.

Edited by Thorny

From what I see that's not really an option, as Okposo really only plays RW, and that's where Sam would have to play. If Okposo could switch to the left, sure, but from what I read he's playing RW.

Sam can't play left? Or just put Sam with ROR

Sam can't play left? Or just put Sam with ROR

I'd rather keep Reinhart with Jack because of the chemistry they were developing than shift Okposo down. Also, Reinhart played some wing in junior too, in addition to the pros, and he's always been at RW. That's where he'd probably play if on the wing.

Not opposed to Reinhart playing up with O'Reilly, I just liked the look of Sam and Jack together and would like to see more. Add Ennis's speed and that line could be really fun.

Edited by Thorny

I'd rather keep Reinhart with Jack because of the chemistry they were developing than shift Okposo down. Also, Reinhart played some wing in junior too, in addition to the pros, and he's always been at RW. That's where he'd probably play if on the wing.

Not opposed to Reinhart playing up with O'Reilly, I just liked the look of Sam and Jack together and would like to see more. Add Ennis's speed and that line could be really fun.

I would really, really hate to waste another all around highly skilled forward with another of the same ilk. Okposo is tailor made to go on Jack's wing

I would really, really hate to waste another all around highly skilled forward with another of the same ilk. Okposo is tailor made to go on Jack's wing

So highly skilled all around players can't play together? I get wanting to spread the talent around, but with so many talented players, we have the ability to play them together. Okposo is definitely suited to ice time with Jack, but so is Sam, for other reasons. Both Eichel and Reinhart have a very high hockey IQ that allows them to do great things together, feed off of eachother. ROR is a highly talented forward as well, so no matter where Reinhart is playing, he's going to be playing with a great player(s).

So highly skilled all around players can't play together? I get wanting to spread the talent around, but with so many talented players, we have the ability to play them together. Okposo is definitely suited to ice time with Jack, but so is Sam, for other reasons. Both Eichel and Reinhart have a very high hockey IQ that allows them to do great things together, feed off of eachother. ROR is a highly talented forward as well, so no matter where Reinhart is playing, he's going to be playing with a great player(s).

Skilled in different areas. If that line was terrible at one thing, and you can fix it, why wouldn't you? It's better to have balanced lines IMO. Unless Jack seriously turns around his defensive player, or Reinhart gets to ROR level to make up for it, I don't see why they should be together.

Luring Vesey also likely entails him playing with Jack. That's way too much youth for me on one line, no matter how offensively talented they may be

Edited by WildCard

I dunno, how defensively oriented are Panarin Kane and Anisimov together? They always have the puck so they aren't playing defense. Reinhart is known for a 2-way game, his defense is decent already and getting better. There's nothing wrong with playing Eichel and Reinhart together. The idea would be to pair them with Ennis for a potentially dominant offensive line that would be able to get favourable matchups with Kane ROR Okposo line providing an exceptionally hard line to play against, drawing the tough matchups. Offensive zone starts for line 2. I'm not sure that Ennis is terrible defensively, either.

The idea of a Vesey - Eichel - Reinhart line is intriguing to me. Sure, they are young, but it's a young man's league. Even though it's technically Reinhart's 2nd season coming up, it's really his 3rd season seeing NHL action. Vesey is 23. Get them offensive zone starts and let them go to work.

In reality I think it's ROR's and Okposo's games that are made for eachother, and that leaves Jack and Sam together. Eventually Reinhart moves to his natural centre position and the lines achieve even greater balance.

Obligatory "Put Reinhart where he belongs and there's no problem" comment :)

Third line centre? Because that's about the only place for him unless you move ROR to a wing. All I have seen in the fantasy lines is ROR as centre.

Disco likes pairs.

I like O'Reilly/Okposo, Eichel/Vesey

Always thought Reinhart between Kane and Ennis would kick ass.

After that, Girgs can skate with the Boston boys, adds the edge and the conscience, even though DD will be tempted to put the captain there.

You could always move Gionta to his off-wing with ROR, but part of me says give Bailey/Fasching/Nylander a shot there and make last year's third line this year's fourth.

Really liking our depth up front if Vesey signs.

Disco likes pairs.

I like O'Reilly/Okposo, Eichel/Vesey

Always thought Reinhart between Kane and Ennis would kick ass.

After that, Girgs can skate with the Boston boys, adds the edge and the conscience, even though DD will be tempted to put the captain there.

You could always move Gionta to his off-wing with ROR, but part of me says give Bailey/Fasching/Nylander a shot there and make last year's third line this year's fourth.

Really liking our depth up front if Vesey signs.

Agreed re: depth.

Any of those guys you listed though would be on their off wing on the top line, be it Gionta, Bailey, Fasching or Nylander. Although Nylander plays both sides. You could do it, but we'd be running all top 3 lines with guys on their off wing. Might still be ok.

Could keep the same basic idea and do:

Kane - O'Reilly - Okposo

Vesey - Eichel - Girgensons

Ennis - Reinhart - Bailey

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Looks pretty good actually.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.