Laraque: Sabres trying to trade Evander Kane

Hoss

I haven't seen anybody condoning him and I've seen few defending him. Regardless of what actually happened that night it's annoying how he has seen his name come up multiple times in these types of ordeals, but the argument that can easily be made isn't the argument you're making. There's no need to compare him to players whose personal lives we knew so little about compared to today's players.

I'm fine with shipping out Kane. I'm fine with those upset with him and sick of it... But it has nothing to do with Gilbert Perrault.

Yeah. And was Perreault getting into trouble and waving around wads of cash on TV?

Buying billboards to win back his girlfriend (who might be assumed to have gotten out

before it was too late).  The reports were that he tried to drag a woman out of a bar

and tried to strangle another one!   This isn't a drunk driving his truck into Tim Horton's.

It isn't Tim Horton speeding on speed (and/or alcohol) late at night in his Porsche. This

is an in-your-face millionaire son of a pro boxer reportedly trying to choke a woman.

It's the old frog in the pot who can't sense the temperature change until it's too late.

If you all condone the type of behaviour attributed to Kane, then you'll all like that frog.

I'm old enough to remember a halfway decent society that punished criminals instead

of giving them fat contracts.

I've said enough for now.

Thank you. Too many times I see where fans want to over look bad characters just because they enhance their teams chances of winning. Hope if they are parents that they don't parent with the same standards. A lot of these athletes would probably be in prison if it weren't for their athletic abilities.

It's pretty naive to compare what we hear about today's athletes with athletes from the past. There's no doubt in my mind there are hundreds of athletes who have committed more heinous crimes that we never heard about because social media and pre-fact reporting were either non-existent or not as prevalent.

True my Mom was a counselor in Buffalo during the 70s and 80s, heard all about what aholes football players were from x wives domestic abuse crap, never names just how crappy they were to women she dealt with and not OJ that I ever heard he was gone by then

Yeah. And was Perreault getting into trouble and waving around wads of cash on TV?

Buying billboards to win back his girlfriend (who might be assumed to have gotten out

before it was too late).  The reports were that he tried to drag a woman out of a bar

and tried to strangle another one!   This isn't a drunk driving his truck into Tim Horton's.

It isn't Tim Horton speeding on speed (and/or alcohol) late at night in his Porsche. This

is an in-your-face millionaire son of a pro boxer reportedly trying to choke a woman.

It's the old frog in the pot who can't sense the temperature change until it's too late.

If you all condone the type of behaviour attributed to Kane, then you'll all like that frog.

I'm old enough to remember a halfway decent society that punished criminals instead

BS it was just covered up before instagram snap chat and the rest.

True my Mom was a counselor in Buffalo during the 70s and 80s, heard all about what aholes football players were from x wives domestic abuse crap, never names just how crappy they were to women she dealt with and not OJ that I ever heard he was gone by then

BS it was just covered up before instagram snap chat and the rest.

Yes we did do that.

In the world of twitter and instagram  Bruce Smith would never have got away with a night at pure platinum with seven strippers draped all over him on a Friday night when he should have been on the team plane to San Diego for the Bills season opener.  It turns out Bruce's knee was acting up again (read: contract griping).  Now sure my buddies and I and maybe 50 other guys saw him there that night, but who the hell is going to believe us?  It's a whole different ball game off the field for these famous athletes today.  There were just as many "antics" then, if not more.

I miss the fine upstanding citizens of Buffalo sports past. Drunks like Jim Kelly and Bruce Smith, along with guys like Barnaby and of course OJ. There have always been athletes who broke the law, but now with the world wide web in everybody's pocket news spreads further and faster than ever. Something like thia might not have even made the paper in the 70's, 80's, or 90's.

So, interesting and somewhat related story I heard this morning, from Keith Olberman on Wyshinski's Nerdist podcast.  He told of a mid-90's night out in NYC with Eric Lindros, John LeClair, Messier, and others, I forget.  As Olberman tells it, Lindros was in Bat Country at 3:30 in the morning, and had the bright idea to dance on a table.  On the way up he thinks better of it, tells LeClair it's time to go, hits the limo and takes off.  The next morning "LINDROS THROWN OUT OF BAR" stories popped up everywhere.  Again, per Olberman, quite far from the truth. 

Grains of salt required...

Good riddance. His shoot first before looking if a play can develop isn't needed. His me first attitude on the ice and off the ice doesn't fit with the team we're developing. Don't give him away for free but a this point, any addition we can get in an area of need is a bonus. And it'll be all the more space to lure Vesey. 

Oustanding avatar.

Carry on...

Yeah. Trust me: Athletes are getting away with way less nowadays than they were in the 90s, and prior to that.

Apropos of nothing, maybe, and influenced by a fine dinner and two generous cocktails: John Lennon beat his (first) wife fairly brutally. The guy's legacy is peace, love, and Imagine, but he had awful demons and did terrible things.

Urp.

I need a nigt cap.

Yeah. Trust me: Athletes are getting away with way less nowadays than they were in the 90s, and prior to that.

Apropos of nothing, maybe, and influenced by a fine dinner and two generous cocktails: John Lennon beat his (first) wife fairly brutally. The guy's legacy is peace, love, and Imagine, but he had awful demons and did terrible things.

Urp.

I need a nigt cap.

He did make Yoko Ono famous and a household name

Punch drunk Georges Laraque didn't he try to ruin Junior hockey a couple of years. As far as Kane goes if you don't get charged with anything you never done it but lets hang him anyway. And you wounder why you can't get ufa to go there. The meida is the problem. Hear say for makes a good story. When some hooker wants to take Jack for everything he's worth will we trade him to. Come on Buffalo prove him guilty of something first.

If English isn't your first language, please pardon this:  How the ###### is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

The bolded should probably be revised to say "...can't go to Chippewa and stay out until 3:00 AM, when most of who's left are either wasted or skeezy, and not get messed with."

He should know by now that the risk curve after midnight looks like a hockey stick.

He should be able to go out whenever and wherever he wants, just like any other 24-year-old.  He isn't able to, because, apparently, he acts like an ######.  That's the problem.  Not where he is or when he's there, but how he acts, it seems.  Yeah, it's pretty easy for you and me and any other middle-aged person to judge, but that's where kids his age are in Buffalo on weekends.

Whether there is truth or not to the latest allegations, he needs to learn to walk away from confrontations.  Or get personal security, which is not unheard of when it comes to pro athletes.  Or, preferably, both.

Edited by Eleven

Again with 24 year olds as "kids." Our parents and grandparents had worked three jobs during the Depression, walked to school uphill both ways in the snow, won World War II, come home, gotten married, had four kids and been promoted to plant foreman by the time they were 24.

Again with 24 year olds as "kids." Our parents and grandparents had worked three jobs during the Depression, walked to school uphill both ways in the snow, won World War II, come home, gotten married, had four kids and been promoted to plant foreman by the time they were 24.

Oh, for 's sake, it's not 1920.  Your parents and grandparents were driving by age 10 (my granddad was), and drinking by age 14, too.  We coddle them until age 21 in this country now, so yeah, they're kids at 24.  I think they have to wear helmets and sit in car seats until 19 now.

Oh, for ######'s sake, it's not 1920.  Your parents and grandparents were driving by age 10 (my granddad was), and drinking by age 14, too.  We coddle them until age 21 in this country now, so yeah, they're kids at 24.  I think they have to wear helmets and sit in car seats until 19 now.

But thats the problem with today, at 24 you are not a kid, and the attitude shouldn't be that they are young/kids and will do stupid things.

Most people are out of school and into a career by 24, they are adults (young adults atleast) and need to be treated like ones where their actions have consequences.

These athletes have been working in their "careers" for a while now at age 24 making more money then most will see in their entire time working, they are in a career where they will be looked at as "role models" by youth, and celebrities who can't sneak around going unnoticed like you or i can. If we go to a bar and get tossed, chances are it doesn't get noticed, if they go out and do it, its going to get noticed and make headlines that may make their employer look bad. If we do something that makes our employer look bad, we would face some consequences too, but lucky for us it would take doing something bigger to get the media to report on an incident from any of us.

With their jobs and for the salaries they get paid, these guys have big responsibilities to the league and teams not to tarnish the league/teams image. Some are willing to forgo heading out to public clubs on a regular basis to party and will instead stay low key so they stay out of trouble, others need to seek out the attention and adoration of everyone. Thats usually one of the issues with the big name athletes because they grew up constantly being told how special and great they are because of their natural skills and they believe the hype cause they know no better.

I'm assuming it was the Sabres and TMs hope that giving Kane the change of scenery after what happened in Winnipeg with his teammates, he would have learned from it and hopefully matured to a point where he would change his attitude and be humbled. It doesn't appear to have worked as he is still putting himself in a positions where he can be looked at for causing an incident or trouble (whether he actually did or not)

Oh, for ######'s sake, it's not 1920.  Your parents and grandparents were driving by age 10 (my granddad was), and drinking by age 14, too.  We coddle them until age 21 in this country now, so yeah, they're kids at 24.  I think they have to wear helmets and sit in car seats until 19 now.

I'm not saying you are saying this, but that's not exactly our fault. 

I remember Carlo and McGinn loving the fact he took them to the Jays.

I remember a ROR interview where he didn't bite given an opportunity to praise him.

I remember Gionta's fatherly response to the sleep-in

I remember Sam sticking up for him and razzing him on Twitter.

So nothing too remarkable

I'm genuinely curious, publicized shenanigans being a separate issue,  has there been anything doing the rounds in Kane's time here that he's been a negative presence in the locker room?  I can't think of anything, but may well be wrong. 

I don't know if he has really been around the lockerroom long enough that he could be a negative presence yet. Right now the team hasn't been under any pressure to do anything but suck to get a better pick, and theres been no pressure to win because they are young and developing, the lockerroom is probably pretty loose. I'm sure the guys right now love him for taking them places after games and do other things, but it may differ when put in a situation where the team starts feeling the pressure to buckle down and show results like in Winnipeg. When that happens, sleeping cause you were out the night before may piss off many in the room because your not helping pull your weight

Urp.

I need a nigt cap.

Listen to the lyrics of several Beatles songs. There are frequent references to brutality to women.

before it was too late). The reports were that he tried to drag a woman out of a bar

and tried to strangle another one! This isn't a drunk driving his truck into Tim Horton's.

Dominic Hasek used to drink enough alcohol to kill a man then tried to drive home. The Amherst police used to watch for him and get him home instead of arresting him because, well, who else was going to play goal?

I used to be cruel to my woman, beat her, and kept her from the things that she loved, etc.

Lennon outwardly repented of that later in life. Fwiw.

Google the lyrics to "Run For Your Life" from Rubber Soul.

Then tell me what the reaction would be if Kanye West sang them today.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Dominic Hasek used to drink enough alcohol to kill a man then tried to drive home. The Amherst police used to watch for him and get him home instead of arresting him because, well, who else was going to play goal?

Google the lyrics to "Run For Your Life" from Rubber Soul.

Then tell me what the reaction would be if Kanye West sang them today.

Oh . Dom. Fuggetaboutit.

And I hadn't thought of that tune in a while. Dark, dark stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.