Laraque: Sabres trying to trade Evander Kane

Hoss

Yeah. This surprises me not a little, not a bit.

Whether they can get anything approaching fair value for him is another matter. I doubt it.

Yea, I just don't see it happening. But I'd still call, in no particular order: Sakic, Benning, Chiarelli, Sweeney, Kekelainen.

After all we traded to get him . . . I hope that this still works out for us. 

I would hate to trade him for a back of pucks.

I don't think we will.

I would trade him for Fowler or Shattenkirk at this point but I don't think either team would have much interest.

Would anybody to Kane and a 2017 first for either of those? The risk there is it makes our immediate-help wingers very thin. We'd have to add another in free agency or through another trade. Makes the 2017 pick riskier.

Yea, I just don't see it happening. But I'd still call, in no particular order: Sakic, Benning, Chiarelli, Sweeney, Kekelainen.

I don't think we will.

If we are having trouble getting fair value now, how hard is it going to be to get anything for him before his contract expires in 2 years?

I would trade him for Fowler or Shattenkirk at this point but I don't think either team would have much interest.

Would anybody to Kane and a 2017 first for either of those? The risk there is it makes our immediate-help wingers very thin. We'd have to add another in free agency or through another trade. Makes the 2017 pick riskier.

It's possible a trade has already been agreed upon, contingent on us signing Vesey though.

Fowler yes, Shattenkirk maybe. For Shattenkirk, I'd have to have a subsequent deal worked out with Bogo for wing help.

Kane + 1st = Fowler + 3rd

2nd + 3rd = Rick Nash

Bring on playoffs

Kane + 1st = Shattenkirk

Bogo = ....I dunno, Eberle? Eberle + 2nd?

If we are having trouble getting fair value now, how hard is it going to be to get anything for him before his contract expires in 2 years?

Could his value really get lower? Coming off a season with another injury, some on-ice struggles, multiple off-ice incidents...

Let's say he stays, scores 25-30 for two years...even with contract situation, if he does that and stays clean off the ice, I think his value may go up.

Fowler yes, Shattenkirk maybe. For Shattenkirk, I'd have to have a subsequent deal worked out with Bogo for wing help.

Kane + 1st = Fowler + 3rd

2nd + 3rd = Rick Nash

Bring on playoffs

Kane + 1st = Shattenkirk

Bogo = ....I dunno, Eberle? Eberle + 2nd?

Could his value really get lower? Coming off a season with another injury, some on-ice struggles, multiple off-ice incidents...

Let's say he stays, scores 25-30 for two years...even with contract situation, if he does that and stays clean off the ice, I think his value may go up.

His value could definitely get lower and will the closer he gets towards free agency, not to mention if he has any more run in with law enforcement, but contract is the key value driver. If Shattenkirk was locked up for the next 4 or 5 seasons at $5 to $6 million his value would be much higher. If O'Reilly was locked up long term we wouldn't have been able to get him for what we gave up. Edmonton went after Larsson even though Shattenkirk is clearly better because they didn't want to risk losing him for scraps at the deadline or see him walk for nothing. Given Shattenkirk's rumored interest of playing in the Northeast and coupled with our favorable cap situation and deep pocketed owner I personally wouldn't worry about it though because I think we could extend him with no issue.

I was no fan of Myers, even if his game was improving a lot towards the end...but I still hated the big deal with Winnipeg.

I called it Murray's first big mistake at the time.

I still don't like it, don't like Kane, don't like Bogo, and I'll be happy when Kane is moved.

I just hope this current thing blows over quickly so there is no threat of him doing jail time or anything like that, and then he can hopefully be moved.

Do you see Kane as an instrumental core piece in a perennial Cup contending lineup?

I sure don't!

I'm hoping that this is classic Canadian hockey media frenzied rumormongering, and I think it's at least 50/50 that that is the case, but I certainly have to acknowledge the possibility that it is true.

It's also quite possible that it's untrue and planted by a rival GM.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.