Laraque: Sabres trying to trade Evander Kane

Hoss

I am not for trading Kane at this point. I'm just pointing out that sometimes assets don't recover their pre-antics value. Sometimes these issues are a sign of greater problems, like a lack of maturity or should we say Athlete Privilege. 

If we want to get Kane on the straight and narrow and giving his all on the ice, we might need to follow the Blackhawk's example on how they manage the other childish Kane.  My understanding is that the Hawks essentially have a babysitter with Kane during the season (both at home and on the road).  This Hawk's employee's job is to keep Patrick out of trouble.

I really hope we trade Kane. He is a flashy player with his speed and he has a decent shot but there are three big nay nay factors I don't like about him.

His passing game irritated the hell out of me the whole season. It seemed he passes the puck at the right time. Usually it takes him half a second too long to pass the puck for a team mate to score. Sometimes the passes are just too sloppy.

He takes a lot of stupid penalties which are either out of laziness or just lack of discipline. Often he takes these penalties 50 yards fom his own goal.

His antics on and off the ice shows clearly that the guy has no respect for his team mates or anyone else.

Rant over.

Sometimes. Not sure why that's the case here though.

Kane has performed on the ice. No signs I've seen that he's poisoning the room, or has run out of rope from the coaching staff. Bylsma played the crap out of him and he brought elite speed and forechecking, with an edge and 20 goals.

Trading him at a loss because you are sick of reading about his "antics" helps us win hockey games how?

I was trying to look this up but with no luck...didn't Kane have 8 empty netters last year (out of 20)? I seem to remember he had quite a big percentage of his goals were EN. 

How is trading Kane cutting loses?

In a variety of ways.

1) like in Wpg he is becoming a PR problem for the team. GMTM is very clear he won't tolerate this much longer.

2) His antics may become a cancer in the clubhouse. No evidence of this yet, but......

3) His salary vs. production; we need more then 20 goals from a guy making $5.25 who is supposed to be a sniper. Now that we are are a cap team, If he doesn't produce to his salary, GMTM needs to re-allocate that money. For example, you can give his slot to someone like Nylander, Vesey (if he signs) and free up cap space to improve the D.

In a variety of ways.

1) like in Wpg he is becoming a PR problem for the team. GMTM is very clear he won't tolerate this much longer.

2) His antics may become a cancer in the clubhouse. No evidence of this yet, but......

3) His salary vs. production; we need more then 20 goals from a guy making $5.25 who is supposed to be a sniper. Now that we are are a cap team, If he doesn't produce to his salary, GMTM needs to re-allocate that money. For example, you can give his slot to someone like Nylander, Vesey (if he signs) and free up cap space to improve the D.

I'd never categorize E.Kane as a sniper. He's a power forward. Five Million gets you 20 goals in today's NHL. Some might argue 15 goals gets you that much. We have way less productive players making just as much (Moulson, Gionta).

I'd never categorize E.Kane as a sniper. He's a power forward. Five Million gets you 20 goals in today's NHL. Some might argue 15 goals gets you that much. We have way less productive players making just as much (Moulson, Gionta).

While I agree Moulson and Gionta are overpaid, they were paid to begin to change the perception of Buffalo as a destination. However, Kane is grossly overpaid for a sniper or power forward. He hasn't played a full season since the lockout. His points the last 3 years are 41, 22 & 35. As we saw with Okposo's contract, players are getting about $1 million for each 10 pts they score. Based on Kane's performance he should be getting about 3.5 not 5.25. The truth is that unless he gets his act together, there is no way GMTM re-signs him when his deal expires.

While I agree Moulson and Gionta are overpaid, they were paid to begin to change the perception of Buffalo as a destination. However, Kane is grossly overpaid for a sniper or power forward. He hasn't played a full season since the lockout. His points the last 3 years are 41, 22 & 35. As we saw with Okposo's contract, players are getting about $1 million for each 10 pts they score. Based on Kane's performance he should be getting about 3.5 not 5.25. The truth is that unless he gets his act together, there is no way GMTM re-signs him when his deal expires.

Agree with the bolded. When sam and Jack need to get paid, Kane's a goner.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.