Laraque: Sabres trying to trade Evander Kane

Hoss

Oh, for ######'s sake, it's not 1920.  Your parents and grandparents were driving by age 10 (my granddad was), and drinking by age 14, too.  We coddle them until age 21 in this country now, so yeah, they're kids at 24.  I think they have to wear helmets and sit in car seats until 19 now.

I'm not saying you are saying this, but that's not exactly our fault. 

It's also not true. Every time I hear the word "coddle" used to describe millennials it's usually in the context of college professors being butt hurt about not having complete control anymore.

Upon a little reflection on my patio this morning, I have mixed feelings on Kane. On the ice, I like what he brings to this roster, and think his contribution is ideal, if not still fully at his potential.

Of course, if he's abusing women and corrupting the young players, he needs to go. We can see the nature of his issues he has had with teammates in the past, now, with his lack of discipline.

I hope there's a way to salvage his roster spot because he'll be difficult to replace in the short term, but I'm not willing to ignore the antics at this point, either.

What a tough position he has put everyone in.

Maybe he still would have trade value if he was a consistent 40 plus goal scorer.  Since he is not, the best we can hope for is that he stays out of trouble, gets along with his teammates and plays effectively this season.  Seems like this is not too much to ask, but given his past history, one has to wonder.  Not sure why GMTM thought things would be different in Buffalo for Kane.

The trade with the Jets has turned out to be a real stinker for both teams.

He's a UFA in two years.  Right now the long-term contracts are going to ROR and Okposo, and (presumably) Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto.  Maybe Lehner.  Hopefully another stud defenseman.  That's 7.

If Kane doesn't fit into the long-term plan, maybe the best we can hope for is that he has a great season this year and we trade him next summer.

I gotta say, I am quite torn with this idea, now espoused by GMTM himself, that even if Kane did nothing wrong, he's still at fault. One minute I agree, then I say... waitaminute.

As I said earlier, Kane should know better than to put himself at risk, especially considering recent history. Looks like GMTM agrees. 

As I said earlier, Kane should know better than to put himself at risk, especially considering recent history. Looks like GMTM agrees. 

How many restrictions do you want to put on the guy? Can he walk down the street at night? Again, the premise is he hasn't done anything wrong but is still putting his career in jeopardy. The Sabres taking this stance might actually make the target on his back even bigger. "Dude, say he choked your girl. They'll have to trade him."

He's a UFA in two years. Right now the long-term contracts are going to ROR and Okposo, and (presumably) Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto. Maybe Lehner. Hopefully another stud defenseman. That's 7.

If Kane doesn't fit into the long-term plan, maybe the best we can hope for is that he has a great season this year and we trade him next summer.

Or we leave him exposed in the expansion draft, imagine a 25yr old 20g scoring winger with a year left on his deal. .. id take him if I were Vegas.

In all honesty, I'll see how this pans out.

Maybe he still would have trade value if he was a consistent 40 plus goal scorer.  Since he is not, the best we can hope for is that he stays out of trouble, gets along with his teammates and plays effectively this season.  Seems like this is not too much to ask, but given his past history, one has to wonder.  Not sure why GMTM thought things would be different in Buffalo for Kane.

Why a stinker? You aren't happy with Bogo either?

Staf scored his 2nd highest total of his career, Myers has played at least as well as Bogo and Armia showed that he belongs. We also have Lemieux and Roslovic coming up....no stinker on this end in my opinion. I would like to see Staf traded before TC to open up a spot for a youngster but I doubt management trades away his goals. I am okay with Myers even if he plays too soft for this team and I am okay with Armia as well. I hear good things about Roslovic and I will withold judgement on Lemieux until he plays some games for the Moose of Jets....I have seen things I don't like about his character but maybe it is his youth.

I like Bogosian.

Stafford and Myers needed to go.

Why a stinker? You aren't happy with Bogo either?

Staf scored his 2nd highest total of his career, Myers has played at least as well as Bogo and Armia showed that he belongs. We also have Lemieux and Roslovic coming up....no stinker on this end in my opinion. I would like to see Staf traded before TC to open up a spot for a youngster but I doubt management trades away his goals. I am okay with Myers even if he plays too soft for this team and I am okay with Armia as well. I hear good things about Roslovic and I will withold judgement on Lemieux until he plays some games for the Moose of Jets....I have seen things I don't like about his character but maybe it is his youth.

Lol Stafford had 21 goals, 38pts and minus -23. He also re-signed as a ufa so basically any production going forward is great but not trade related. Anything Moulson does not doesn't add to the Vanek trade.

At the end of the day it's a trade that benefited both teams. We tanked enough to get jack, Winnipeg got some decent future players, it all worked out.

I agree. Pegula may be patient in many areas but I wonder how patient he is when it comes to tarnishing the brand. I see him as far less tolerant in that area than in others. Kim, too. 

GO SABRES!!!

You mean Pegula who didnt mind bringing in Rex, Percy Harvin, Incognito and Shady in one year? Me thinks Pegula wants to win, and is much tougher and more shrewd than his nice guy demeanor indicates.

2 of those guys only had reputations of being prima donas (Harvin and maybe shady), Rex was just a blowhard idiot, Richie was the only one that you could say could tarnish an image because bullying is such a big thing these days

Harvin punched out his teammate and was kicked off of a few different teams.

Harvin punched out his teammate and was kicked off of a few different teams.

OK, forgot about punching a teammate.

As for Kane, Sportsnet here has a rumor that the Canucks might be interested in Kane, don't know what they would have to offer, but they are looking for a winger, and we do have a past dealing them 'power forwards' who never quite panned out here......... so who currently would be their Hodgson?

The bolded should probably be revised to say "...can't go to Chippewa and stay out until 3:00 AM, when most of who's left are either wasted or skeezy, and not get messed with."

He should know by now that the risk curve after midnight looks like a hockey stick.

Buffalo always seemed like that curve was at 2AM, not midnight. The upstairs at the Continental didn't even open until midnight.

Considering there's probably 2 consistent 40 goal scorers in the NHL, I think "have trade value" is a bit of an understatement. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.