Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

As far as I can tell he feels he has already a good grasp of what Buffalo offers. The 3 today are supposedly the last 3. Decision coming Thursday or Friday. 

The issue with anything about the Vesey situation is that there are tons of speculation and crap from what I would otherwise call legitimate sources and that is garbling the actual facts. I will say that teams bringing these vets along to meet with Vesey is interesting. I wonder how team captains feel about going to Boston to meet with a kid who has never played an NHL game. I think when Vesey does make a decision he needs to go into that locker room, keep his head down, mouth shut, and work real hard. 

I don;t think its gonna be an issue he is just taking full advantage of a opportunity to do what best for him, and being honest about what he is looking for and thinking.... People have trouble dealing with the honesty and probably would prefer cliche's

Edited by ddaryl

I don;t think its gonna be an issue he is just taking full advantage of a opportunity to do what best for him, and being honest about what he is looking for and thinking

Interesting he is interviewing the interviewees. Not a bad strategy if he can pull it off, but ultimately he is not the client but a future employee... an if he Fs this up I'll bet the collective bargaining changes quickly.

Interesting he is interviewing the interviewees. Not a bad strategy if he can pull it off, but ultimately he is not the client but a future employee... an if he Fs this up I'll bet the collective bargaining changes quickly.

I can see this being nipped in the bud next contract

Couple things I've thought for awhile now:

1) Jimmy initially rejected Nashville because he saw an opportunity to play in Boston

2) upon further review, he's considered the situation a little more fully and realized that there are potential negatives to playing in Boston.

He's taken time to fully analyze what wants, came up with a checklist and he's meeting with teams to confirm how well they meet that checklist and find out if there are any factors he's overlooked.

Buffalo, thanks to a calculated gamble got to the front of the line. Jimmy is weighing each situation against the Sabres, and unless Murray or Bylsma rubbed him the wrong way I think the Sabres will remain at the top of his list. From what he has said is important to him, they are the best match.

Until Boston. It's not a gimme. Boston will have to play it smart. But the kid wants to be convinced.

When it comes down to heart versus head, the heart will usually win out.

There is a reason he talked to Buffalo first and Boston last.

Edited by dudacek

This may have already been answered, but is playing in the NCAA the only route to the NHL where a drafted player's right expire?

If yes, then as it starts getting closer and closer to the major juniors in quality and producing NHL talent, is this a rule that they are going to have to change?

I could see more and more players taking this path if they knew they could choose the team that they wanted to play for.

This may have already been answered, but is playing in the NCAA the only route to the NHL where a drafted player's right expire?

If yes, then as it starts getting closer and closer to the major juniors in quality and producing NHL talent, is this a rule that they are going to have to change?

I could see more and more players taking this path if they knew they could choose the team that they wanted to play for.

Except most of them want to be pro hockey players and will take the money and the opportunity when it is offered.

The junior guys are starting as pros at 20. Vesey is 23.

That's a long time at that age, especially when you are looking at a career that lasts 10 years, if you are lucky.

FWIW

Chris Ostrander who runs the Two in the Box Sabres Blog just tweeted that a source told him Vesey purchased a condo in NYC with Kevin Hayes. 

Jeremy White tweeted back asking if this is true and he replied Yes 

Ostrander said he is hardly tapped into sources, but he is passing along what he heard and added he hopes the guy is wrong.

Edited by BRAWNDO

FWIW

Chris Ostrander who runs the Two in the Box Sabres Blog just tweeted that a source told him Vesey purchased a condo in NYC with Jimmy Hayes. 

Ostrander said he is hardly tapped into sources, but he is passing along what he heard and added he hopes the guy is wrong.

I said it on twitter, too, but I wouldn't even be mad if he went to the Rangers. I mean, the Rangers? 

I think he's nuts if Chicago offers him top-6 minutes and he goes elsewhere. Go win a cup with Chicago in the next 2 years, or at least beef up your stats, then go make way to much money from some other team when you hit free agency.

If I remember correctly, teams have 2 years to sign CHL players they've drafted or they go back into the draft. Im not aware of any circumstance other than NCAA players going to free agency if they are not signed inside of a time window.

FWIW

Chris Ostrander who runs the Two in the Box Sabres Blog just tweeted that a source told him Vesey purchased a condo in NYC with Jimmy Hayes. 

Why can't I find these tweets?

Also, is the Vesey family well-off?  How is this guy getting the down payment money for a condo in NYC?

Why can't I find these tweets?

Also, is the Vesey family well-off?  How is this guy getting the down payment money for a condo in NYC?

1. BTW I really hope this guy is wrong

0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

More

Take that for what it's worth. I'm hardly tapped in but just passing along what I'm told

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

#Sources say Vesey bought a condo in NYC with Kevin Hayes

Eleven the only thing I can figure is that there may be a loan from his agent Peter Fish. It's common for NFL Agents to do so, not sure about NHL. 

1. BTW I really hope this guy is wrong

0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

More

Take that for what it's worth. I'm hardly tapped in but just passing along what I'm told

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

#Sources say Vesey bought a condo in NYC with Kevin Hayes

Eleven the only thing I can figure is that there may be a loan from his agent Peter Fish. It's common for NFL Agents to do so, not sure about NHL. 

Thanks, and good point on the loan.

Vesey Real Estate Services. The company formed to help NHL draftees settle in to their new town.

With Units available in Chicago, New York, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, Pittsburgh. Headquarters in Buffalo, NY where the amazing Vesey is able to balance his work life ratio more appropriately from his home base.

I think Hayes has first dibs on Veesee as a roommate. Veesee's not allowed to interview other players for roommates until he is signed.

Hayes had to give up his down payment in order to talk to Veesee first.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I don't think the condo stuff is garbage. Who wouldn't want a place in NYC?

I don't think it locks him to any particular team. Plane ride from Boston/Buffalo/Washington to NYC is quite short.

I wouldn't want a place in NYC even if I could afford it. 

But the reports of the condo buying seem odd to me. That stuff would take weeks or months to finalize paperwork and stuff so why are we suddenly hearing about it now? I think the Rangers and Ranger fans have been way over the top the last few days with Vesey fever. Their team still will be middle of the road after they get him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.