Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

At listened to that entire interview. While I could say that the interviewers questions were leading and biased to get Vesey to talk about Boston and playing there, it sounded like they are his first choice for sure. I think that is a mistake for him but not my problem.

Agreed. I heard it too. He's basically gushing about Boston. The interviewer was doing his job by putting the bait out there and Vesey certainly took it.

I really don't think this is unique to Buffalo at all. In fact, I'd wager most fanbases are like this, and those that aren't are the exceptions.

They may be similar but no one holds a grudge like Buffalo fans.

Ovechkin- still booed for hitting Briere a decade ago.

Lucic- still booed for hitting Miller 8 years ago.

Every player that left Buffalo booed until the end of time unless they retired a Sabre.

I really hope we don't boo him, because we'll be too busy cheering the 6+ goals we put in behind that awful defense.

BUT THEY HAVE CHARA!!!! AND KRUG!!! 

And they could have had Chara, Krug, Boychuk, and Hamilton along with Tyler Seguin but they trade like late 2000's Garth Snow

Every player that left Buffalo booed until the end of time unless they retired a Sabre.

4 years but we do hold grudges.

At listened to that entire interview. While I could say that the interviewers questions were leading and biased to get Vesey to talk about Boston and playing there, it sounded like they are his first choice for sure. I think that is a mistake for him but not my problem. 

Questions were very leading but I don't agree BOS is his choice.  He's a smart kid and Boston isn't the smart choice.  His Dad says so, so does Jimmy Hayes.  HOF message boards says the interviewer said he thinks it's Buffalo.

Vesey ending up in Boston makes a lot of sense.  It's quite plausible that he's always wanted to play there, that by this spring it was apparent to him that the Bruins needed a top-6 winger and that he was good enough to fill that role, and that all he had to do was turn Nashville down to make it happen. 

Who booed Pommer and LaFontaine? Rob Ray?  I could get into a longer list, but too busy today.

I like Rags fans at MSG for holding a grudge. They do a whistle, whistle, whistle POTVIN SUCKS chant five times a game every game regardless of the opponent still. That's pretty damn impressive.

Vesey ending up in Boston makes a lot of sense.  It's quite plausible that he's always wanted to play there, that by this spring it was apparent to him that the Bruins needed a top-6 winger and that he was good enough to fill that role, and that all he had to do was turn Nashville down to make it happen. 

Boston doesn't have a top tier center for him to paly with.  I would think this would be a strong deterrent to him

Vesey says he is still going to UFA Aug 15. This comes just days after his people said they were open for anything. However after reading the article I feel better about him signing with us after seeing the list of teams he is looking at. I've added Chicago since Bowman was scouting Vesey at the summer league. http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html#comments

The article says he is looking for an opportunity with PP time, a top 6 job and a place he can cash in on his second contract if the numbers are there. The coach and style of play are also important. Fair enough!

Here is our competition according to the Globe

1) Boston - great coach and a desperate need for his talents and that's the problem. They are no longer a contender and their top centers are on the wrong side of 30. Who is their young star he can grow with on a caliber with Eichel, Reinhart and ROR? Hometown team and side money from endorsements something he'll consider, but sounds like winning more important.

2) NYR - Big market and therefore marketing opportunities, but are they a contender and is there an opportunity for him? Nice youngish group of forwards include 3 good centers, but also two good LW in Krieder and Zuccerelo. However D and G aging fast. Are their days numbers as a contender? I think so.

3) NYI - A young playoff team playing in NYC. Also superstar center could use a LW. However 3 key players just left town without looking in the rear view mirror. Coach is also suspect. One of those key players just chose Buffalo, enough said.

4) NJ - The former D first style is history. Just added Hall and have a stable of good young core vets in Henrique, Palmeri and Hall. They have a great goalie. However does anyone actually attend their games and I don't see Vesey getting LW PP time over Hall.

5) StL - Playoff team with a great coach, some awesome D and a great RW in Tarasenko. However they are also cap strapped, the coach is retiring, their centers are good but not great (Stasny, Fabbri and Lethora) and they are going to have to trade Shattenkirk because they can't afford to re-sign him.

6) Tor - Great coach, a desperate need, some great young players coming onboard, but most of which have never played an NHL game. Also high taxes, many horrible contracts still on the books and years away from being a contending program.

7) Chi - Great coach, maybe a chance to compete for a Cup this season. However, their core is locked up for the next 3 plus years. Panarin is due a major raise after this coming season and he is their No.1 LW. I don't see them being able to afford Vesey beyond one or two years and he is looking what happens after his 2 year ELC is up. I'm also pretty sure he won't be a top PP unit player there. Also they are an aging team. Kane is 27 and Toews 28. The 2 key D, Keith and Seabrook are 32 and 31. What will they look like in 2 years?

Now compare those situations to Buffalo.

1) Great young centers to play with in Eichel and ROR, including one he has have played with for years in Eichel.

2) LW position in flux still. Kane is working his way out of Buffalo, Moulson isn't top 2 line material, and the next option is newly drafted Nylander, who is at least a year away from the NHL. Kane's money could go to Vesey in a year or two if he earns it.

3) Great coach with a Cup, an aggressive GM dedicated to winning and who is trying to bring a more uptempo game.

4) Young core. The Sabres have a forward group with only 2 players of 12 over 30 and only 3 of 12 28 and over. The rest are 26 and younger; thus a core set up to contend for years to come. Goalies are also 26 and younger and the top 4 D are all 26 and younger.

Where would you sign?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I keep going back to the same thing with this guy...just how good is he? Nobody really knows, and anything is a guess.  

But I have to wonder....this year or next, how much better off are they with him in the lineup vs Bailey?  Or Carrier?

What is everyone expecting out of him?   15-20 goals out of him if he is a top 6 guy....and he may not be a liability in the D-zone, but he would still have a lot to learn about the NHL game?  I'm not sure that is all that much better than what you will get with one of the guys who were down on the farm last year.

The more I think about this, the only thing I can come up with is that Murray has a deal on the table (that isn't going away), or maybe a FEW deals that involve bringing in a D-man to the Sabres but the Sabres have to give up a Fasching, Carrier, or Bailey.  If Vesey signs he will be OK with making that deal (basically getting a 'free' replacement for Forward depth), but without Vesey, he'll stand his ground and go into the year with what they have.

Edited by mjd1001

I don't believe a word that comes out of this kids mouth. He's going to Boston, which contradicts his claims of studying rosters and whatnot. Don't be fooled.

LMAO... paranoia

Bostons on the down slide

Edited by ddaryl

I mean I get it, this is the apex of silly season, but this particular silliness is getting a bit tired.  Can't we go back to trying to trade Zach Bogosian for 50 more pages while we wait?

There are times I have wanted an "ignore thread" feature; I definitely understand.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.