Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

Vesey needs to go play someplace where he can be coddled. BUF is a blue collar, hard working, earn your keep type of city, and the team is a reflection of that.

Vesey would be a better fit in LA, ANA, or NY. If he does join BUF, I see it backfiring in a big way, setting this team back by impeding the workman like attitude a guy like Ryan O'Reilly is trying to establish in the locker room. Everything is earned, unless you're Jimmy Vesey.

Right now it's all posturing. We won't truly know until August 15th comes and he stil isn't a Sabre. Like Murray said he hasn't sat down or been pitched yet by Murray and Co so of course he is going to tote the same line about free agency. But between a billionaire owner who will do anything at any cost to win, a GM who will make any deal or trade to better the team, his best friend who happens to be the 2nd most hyped player to be drafted this decade, and a top six who will arguably be the best in the league in a few years, Buffalo has to get strong consideration. No one will truly know until the two sides sit down and meet. Then I'm sure the press will report where things stand from there.

Vesey needs to go play someplace where he can be coddled. BUF is a blue collar, hard working, earn your keep type of city, and the team is a reflection of that.

Vesey would be a better fit in LA, ANA, or NY. If he does join BUF, I see it backfiring in a big way, setting this team back by impeding the workman like attitude a guy like Ryan O'Reilly is trying to establish in the locker room. Everything is earned, unless you're Jimmy Vesey.

Does anyone buy the Buffalo blue color montra anymore?

So Vesey needs coddling because he went to Harvard for 4 years, and Matthews is damaged good because he skipped college to go play in Europe for 1 year. Which is it? Are these kids for going to college or for not going to college?

Vesey appears to be cold and logical. Spock on ice. The misjudgment might have been something along the lines of, "Once he hears Buffalo wants him, he'll swoon. Kim's perfume. Harbor Center. Adirondack Chairs." I like we've's theory that this was a Terry call. This is an owner and organization that's running on a pretty good high right now.

I don't think there will be an onging "courtship" beyond the meeting. Knowing Murray, he's probably mentally moved on.

While I have no reason but to conclude that these are sincerely held views, it's odd that they almost read as a parody of that perspective.

You and Smell can stop being so high and mighty.

The Sabres traded a third-round pick because they believed they could sign this entitled little Ivy League crotch turd on July 1 (why not earlier?) It didn't work out. People should be upset with Murray and/or Baron Von Douchehausen.

And you can stop being so ... .

Fuggit. I can't even make heads or tails of what's going on in this thread.

Even yours? Ohhhhhh...

You and Smell can stop being so high and mighty.

The Sabres traded a third-round pick because they believed they could sign this entitled little Ivy League crotch turd on July 1 (why not earlier?) It didn't work out. People should be upset with Murray and/or Baron Von Douchehausen.

No offense man (you're one of my favorite posters), but expecting him to just sign with us because we gave a 3rd round pick to Nashville even though him and his agent have said all along that he planned to pursue free agency and then being bitter about makes all the butt hurt fans sound more entitled than Vesey.

Edited by Drunkard

No offense man (you're one of my favorite posters), but expecting him to just sign with us because we gave a 3rd round pick to Nashville even though him and his agent have said all along that he planned to pursue free agency and then being bitter about makes all the butt hurt fans sound more entitled than Vesey.

At this point, it is difficult (damn near impossible) for me to distinguish between what PA actually thinks and what he's just throwing out there in an effort to churn the waters.

Just because he graduated from Harvard (being coddled by tutors) doesn't mean he's a hard-working kid willing to earn his spot. He wants his top 6 spot handed to him on a platter with guarantees of PP time and second contract value. That flies in the face of everything this team is trying to build. Not even Evander Kane (an established scorer) makes such outlandish demands.

Did last year's Hobey Baker winner demand a top 6 spot? Not even close, when asked about his number last summer Eichel said he needed to make the team first. Vesey is the anti-Eichel, dont want him anywhere near the kids. Maybe Eichel already knows this about him which would explain why he's not leaning on him too hard.

LGR's thoughts echo my own, so I'll continue on.

First, GMTM covets Vesey. He trades a third round pick that wouldn't have returned value for years in order to speak to a player he likes and hopes to sign and have an immediate impact on the team. Regardless of whether Vesey signs or not, that 3rd wasn't going to do anything for us anyway for some time if at all. The risk/reward seems perfectly acceptable.

Second, Vesey was not involved in the trade for his rights. That's between Buffalo and Nashville. He intended to go to August 15th and GMTM trading for the rights to speak to him doesn't necessitate any action on Vesey's part. GMTM likely knew this when trading for those rights. Again, GMTM perceived value here. Why Vesey is now being subjected to scrutiny for stating he'll move forward as planned makes little sense to me. Why should his plans change?

Lastly, all this criticism of his honor, or his needing to "know his role" or whatever, is petulant. The man (he is a man, no?) was drafted as a college student (a process that players don't agree to by the way. Anyone can be drafted. Perhaps he didn't want to be drafted in the first place?), and decided that after getting his degree (something many college players forgo) he wanted to continue deciding his fate. He clearly valued his education and elected to value that over entering hockey right away. That's good awareness for the long term. And given the power and opportunity to make a decision on his terms, he should feel no shame.

But please, butthurt citizens of the internet, continue to hem and haw that Vesey owes anyone anything. Looks to me like he earned his right to choose where he starts his NHL career. If you wouldn't do the same, given the choice, then you are either a liar or an idiot.

Nobody is shaming him for exercising his rights under the CBA. It's his ridiculous statements about getting handed a top 6 spot with ample PP time, and already discussing second contract demands before even playing a single second of pro hockey.

Saying this stuff publicly shows a lack of respect. He approach to the league reminds me of Johnny Manziel.

LGR's thoughts echo my own, so I'll continue on.

First, GMTM covets Vesey. He trades a third round pick that wouldn't have returned value for years in order to speak to a player he likes and hopes to sign and have an immediate impact on the team. Regardless of whether Vesey signs or not, that 3rd wasn't going to do anything for us anyway for some time if at all. The risk/reward seems perfectly acceptable.

Second, Vesey was not involved in the trade for his rights. That's between Buffalo and Nashville. He intended to go to August 15th and GMTM trading for the rights to speak to him doesn't necessitate any action on Vesey's part. GMTM likely knew this when trading for those rights. Again, GMTM perceived value here. Why Vesey is now being subjected to scrutiny for stating he'll move forward as planned makes little sense to me. Why should his plans change?

Lastly, all this criticism of his honor, or his needing to "know his role" or whatever, is petulant. The man (he is a man, no?) was drafted as a college student (a process that players don't agree to by the way. Anyone can be drafted. Perhaps he didn't want to be drafted in the first place?), and decided that after getting his degree (something many college players forgo) he wanted to continue deciding his fate. He clearly valued his education and elected to value that over entering hockey right away. That's good awareness for the long term. And given the power and opportunity to make a decision on his terms, he should feel no shame.

But please, butthurt citizens of the internet, continue to hem and haw that Vesey owes anyone anything. Looks to me like he earned his right to choose where he starts his NHL career. If you wouldn't do the same, given the choice, then you are either a liar or an idiot.

Couldn't have said it better. Seems that some people's comments (PI2000) are a sour grapes complex or jealousy. Edited by Radar

Just because he graduated from Harvard (being coddled by tutors) doesn't mean he's a hard-working kid willing to earn his spot. He wants his top 6 spot handed to him on a platter with guarantees of PP time and second contract value.

Sir, you are just making things up.

Now he was "coddled by tutors" at Harvard, which I suppose you aim to imply that he couldn't handle the work on his own.  You certainly made this up.

Wants a top 6 spot handed to him on a platter, and guaranteed PP time - Please cite.  Of course you can't because it's just made up.

Wants second contract value - That I believe, but uh, so does literally every NHL player (or human being working under any contract, I imagine).

At this point, it is difficult (damn near impossible) for me to distinguish between what PA actually thinks and what he's just throwing out there in an effort to churn the waters.

Good point. Either way, my point still stands, even if PA's post was in jest. The people who are pissed off that Vesey hasn't signed here when he never said he would are acting way more entitled than Vesey.

Nobody is shaming him for exercising his rights under the CBA. It's his ridiculous statements about getting handed a top 6 spot with ample PP time, and already discussing second contract demands before even playing a single second of pro hockey.

Saying this stuff publicly shows a lack of respect. He approach to the league reminds me of Johnny Manziel.

Is he demanding it, or is he simply looking for a team where he has a better chance of making the top two lines? Because I haven't heard anything about him DEMANDING the spots.

I've never seen a quote about the top-6 and power play stuff. I did see a Boston writer indicate that Vesey wants to land with a team that could "envision" him playing those types of roles. I'm not sure where "getting handed" that stuff comes in.

I don't blame the guy for wanting to tee up his second pro contract (which will come in 2 years) -- he's already 23 at this point (a bit long in the tooth).

Is he demanding it, or is he simply looking for a team where he has a better chance of making the top two lines? Because I haven't heard anything about him DEMANDING the spots.

Here's where the top-6 and power play stuff comes from:

His checklist when considering where to play, said Vesey, will include the prospective team’s coach, its style of play, and whether both sides could envision him playing among the top six forwards and also on the power play. He’s not only looking at his first NHL deal, but the next one, one that will be all the more lucrative if he has goals and assists as bona fides.

Though Vesey won’t identify who he thinks will make his short list, it’s likely Boston will be on it, along with the likes of Toronto (where Jim Vesey, his father, is a scout), Buffalo, the three teams in metro New York, possibly along with Philadelphia and perhaps St. Louis. His father had a brief NHL tour and has a number of pals in Blues hockey operations.

“I have a couple of teams in mind, but my dad’s said he is going to let me make the decision,’’ said Vesey. “I think that’s fair. I am 23 years old at this point, so I am a man on my own and . . . I think I’d like to be in the Northeast a little bit."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/02/jimmy-vesey-mulling-his-nhl-future/d0xIzgGvkAJD4kBOoI4dgK/story.html

Edited by That Aud Smell

It's posturing, man. Plain and simple. He holds all the cards right now and the minute he signs that goes away almost completely. I guarantee you that no matter who he signs with once he does his initial press conference he go into the standard spiel of being grateful for the opportunity, thinks team X is a really great fit, and how it's time to lace up the skates and earn his spot on the team. After he signs you won't hear a peep about guaranteed spots on any line, PP time, or anything like that.

Seems like people just enjoy having their feathers ruffled over a guy who hasn't really done anything wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.