Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

So, unsigned college free agents play these games after their seasons end and no one says anything. 

Why does Vesey think he's so good?  Because one GM has said there will be 29 teams ready to sign him on 8/15.  Poile has said he would be top 6. The same Poile people are saying is a great GM and it was crappy what Vesey did to him. GMTM has said the same about him.  Others have said the same about him.

Why does Vesey think he's so good? It clearly has to be his arrogant, entitled Harvard background.  :blink:

He signs, good.  He doesn't? So be it.

So, unsigned college free agents play these games after their seasons end and no one says anything.

Why does Vesey think he's so good? Because one GM has said there will be 29 teams ready to sign him on 8/15. Poile has said he would be top 6. The same Poile people are saying is a great GM and it was crappy what Vesey did to him. GMTM has said the same about him. Others have said the same about him.

Why does Vesey think he's so good? It clearly has to be his arrogant, entitled Harvard background. :blink:

He signs, good. He doesn't? So be it.

Thank you. The kid is coveted, not entitled.

Vesey will be signing with BUF - anything he or agent has said is posturing.

Posturing? Just like he did with Nashville?

Anyways, can anyone think of another player who pulled this same stunt who went on to become an excellent or great NHLer?

Edited by kas23

While it seems a little arrogant on some level, I don't think we have a Brendan Lemieux on our hands. He legitimately does have the choice of many teams, and nothing he's said is at all out of the ordinary for someone in that position. If we get him, which we probably have an good shot at doing, great. 

Anyways, can anyone think of another player who pulled this same stunt who went on to become an excellent or great NHLer?

This same stunt, meaning college free agent going on to a great career?

Adam Oates comes to mind.

Kevin Paul Dupont contacted Vesey today and he told KPD he still intends to go to FA on August 15th. This was probably in response to Peter Fish's Email to John Vogl of the Buffalo News. 

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD  5h

Suspect PIT and CHI will make offers Vesey will consider. Stated preference has been to remain in northeast.

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD  1h

Kevin Paul Dupont Retweeted Joe Belanger

Said he has 2-3 teams in mind. Wants to spend next 6 weeks assessing talent on misc rosters.

How many players end up in this particular pool? Pretty sure it can still be measured on 2 hands.

Lindros was the poster child for "I don't want to play where I was drafted."  He was okay but the trade he forced helped the Nordiques/Avalanche far more than the Flyers who ended up with him.  They traded a broad-based future for a superstar that didn't quite live up to the hype.

Kevin Paul Dupont contacted Vesey today and he told KPD he still intends to go to FA on August 15th. This was probably in response to Peter Fish's Email to John Vogl of the Buffalo News. 

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD  5h

Suspect PIT and CHI will make offers Vesey will consider. Stated preference has been to remain in northeast.

Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD  1h

Kevin Paul Dupont Retweeted Joe Belanger

Said he has 2-3 teams in mind. Wants to spend next 6 weeks assessing talent on misc rosters.

Like he couldn't assess those rosters before ....    He will meet with the sabres this week and then we'll know more.

This tool is rehashing old quotes.

Edited by Huckleberry

I think as we see more and more players going through college this type of scenario will happen.

10 years ago the NCAA was not seen as a legitimate path to the NHL.  One only need look at the number of USA born players taken in the first round to begin seeing the growth of hockey talent in the US.  While other major sports have been declining in numbers lacrosse and hockey are still growing.

As for assessing rosters, there will likely be more changes over the next 4 weeks through trades and some additional signings.  Draft picks who sign ELC's now also impact the potential roster this year and next year. 

And all of it could be a total smokescreen... I don't think it is.  I think he goes to Aug. 15, listen to offers and signs a deal. That Tim Murray gave up a meaningless 3rd round pick to be able to talk to him (and have Jack talk to him) until then only improves it being the Sabres.  The Sabres basically used a 3rd round pick to get 6 weeks to talk to the kid. Other teams will have less than 24 hours. Even that is worth it.

Chicago is going to be pretty tempting

Has a very small chance of making their top 6. That's on his checklist. Not happening. 

Teams have to be honest w/ the guy. Nobody can guarantee a top 6 spot. Okay, Toronto can, but his numbers wold most likely be lower there due to lack of talent to play w/. 

Edited by GoPre

Has a very small chance of making their top 6. That's on his checklist. Not happening.

Teams have to be honest w/ the guy. Nobody can guarantee a top 6 spot. Okay, Toronto can, but his numbers wold most likely be lower there due to lack of talent to play w/.

He could easily see time in Toews line, especially considering Hossa age and amount of time he has been missing.

If more college players start doing this I could see more GMs reluctant to take them early, not unlike some GMs staying away from Russians early because of the KHL risk.

Very few guys are going to stay four years in school. Guys that develop early realize the faster they start their careers, the faster they burn that entry level contract. Only guys this pertains to are late developers or actual students.

If more college players start doing this I could see more GMs reluctant to take them early, not unlike some GMs staying away from Russians early because of the KHL risk.

Wonder if it's something the league looks for in the next CBA. It doesn't currently seem common enough to worth really pushing for, but if it becomes a regular occurrence, then maybe.

He could easily see time in Toews line, especially considering Hossa age and amount of time he has been missing.

Very few guys are going to stay four years in school. Guys that develop early realize the faster they start their careers, the faster they burn that entry level contract. Only guys this pertains to are late developers or actual students.

Key word is could. He's not signing w/ Chicago. Vesey is playing for his 2nd contract on day 1. He'll go to a team where he thinks he'll put up the numbers. Need ice time to do that.

Edited by GoPre

Vesey did not grow up playing hockey in Philadelphia, MS.  He is not from a "new" hockey family.  Vesey knows how a locker room and ice time works.  It's hard for me to imagine he has an "entitled to play in your top-6" attitude.  I think he is looking for the best chance to "earn" a top-6 roll.  He will do what he has a right to do under the CBA.  If he signs it'll be like finding money in the laundry.  If not, no ill will from me.

Wonder if it's something the league looks for in the next CBA. It doesn't currently seem common enough to worth really pushing for, but if it becomes a regular occurrence, then maybe.

This will never become a regular occurrence. Hey kid you can get guaranteed money or play one more season and risk getting injured! Just like the NFL, the good players leave early from college, they don't sit around. This is the exception and not worth a CBA battle over. They should fight for 19yr Olds in the AHL first.

Vesey did not grow up playing hockey in Philadelphia, MS. He is not from a "new" hockey family. Vesey knows how a locker room and ice time works. It's hard for me to imagine he has an "entitled to play in your top-6" attitude. I think he is looking for the best chance to "earn" a top-6 roll. He will do what he has a right to do under the CBA. If he signs it'll be like finding money in the laundry. If not, no ill will from me.

Exactly. As far as the Sabres go, he is no different then Cliff Pu. If he develops he will be another asset to be used on their way to a Stanley Cup contender. If not, just another swing and a miss on a third rounder.

Anything more and he just speeds the process up.

Vesey did not grow up playing hockey in Philadelphia, MS.  He is not from a "new" hockey family.  Vesey knows how a locker room and ice time works.  It's hard for me to imagine he has an "entitled to play in your top-6" attitude.  I think he is looking for the best chance to "earn" a top-6 roll.  He will do what he has a right to do under the CBA.  If he signs it'll be like finding money in the laundry.  If not, no ill will from me.

Great point. And as I keep saying, he will not sign w/ Chicago. It'll be difficult for him to earn a top 6 position there.  

Thats why I started it with "if". Curious how much of a trendsetter he might be. He's not doing it for money really. Hes trying to control his rights.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.