Vesey signs with Rangers; huge thread now moot

jsb

I disagree.   He a rooke FA out of college with no pro experience.    He's acting like he has a right to play in the NHL.    Players need to earn their right to be a UFA after years of service in the league.    If waits until 8/15, he's acting like he's already reached that point in his career, and it reflects poorly on his character, and he'll be viewed poorly in the locker room by guys who have had to actually earn their spot on the team.

No he won't and every young player wishes they had what he has now......why are people hating this kid...makes no sense...he doesn't have a right to play in the NHL but right now he has the right to choose where he plays and he would be wrong to not take advanatge

No he won't and every young player wishes they had what he has now......why are people hating this kid...makes no sense...he doesn't have a right to play in the NHL but right now he has the right to choose where he plays and he would be wrong to not take advanatge

People aren't, pi is. I'm pretty sure Vesey hurt him at some point.

Anyone know who Mitch Courtney is? He is followed by Buffalo Media Types and has WGR550 in his profile.

Anyhow he tweeted this earlier.

Jimmy Vesey and his agent are growing fond of the idea of Vesey playing in Buffalo per sources.

I think he's a radio guy from Rochester or something?

Anyone know who Mitch Courtney is? He is followed by Buffalo Media Types and has WGR550 in his profile.

Anyhow he tweeted this earlier.

Jimmy Vesey and his agent are growing fond of the idea of Vesey playing in Buffalo per sources.

I heard White(?) say that on WGR a couple hours ago, verbatim, without citing his source. 

I think this thing is all being blown out of proportion because it happened during a slow part of the off-season, and was the first move the Sabres made. If he signs, he's a mature prospect, having just played 4 years of college, and should be an immediate help to the team.  If he doesn't sign, meh.  It was a third round pick.  That and a $4.45 will get you a grande mocha at Starbucks.  I don't see what the big deal is, especially since it wasn't our only 3rd rounder.

This whole thread reads like it was written by a bunch of middle school boys on a playground.

Having a right is ok and being smart about and not alienated your options is another. He needs a way to be proactive so he can make a decision in a manner the helps his long range plans. It could hurt his long term value too.

Having a right is ok and being smart about and not alienated your options is another. He needs a way to be proactive so he can make a decision in a manner the helps his long range plans. It could hurt his long term value too.

The Sabres could waive their exclusive rights to negotiate for weekend and let him field calls.  It shows confidence on the Sabres part, and if he comes and doesn't sign, well he obviously heard something he liked.  Sabres can move on if they choose and see what is offered on 8/15 and take a crack if he still fits.  

The Sabres could waive their exclusive rights to negotiate for weekend and let him field calls.  It shows confidence on the Sabres part, and if he comes and doesn't sign, well he obviously heard something he liked.  Sabres can move on if they choose and see what is offered on 8/15 and take a crack if he still fits.

Good idea imo

This is just bull crap on your part. Actually your entire post is just awful. The CBA is negotiated between the NHLPA and the NHL and that is allowable within the CBA for a college player who goes unsigned as a senior to go to UFA. No one is going to give a flying f##k in that locker room if the guy waits to see who he could play for. He owes Buffalo absolutely nothing. It reflects nothing on his character. He isn't ready to sign with Buffalo. He may want to see all the teams he could sign with. If I knew in 45 days I could have potentially 10 job offers to chose from I would most assuredly wait til then as opposed to signing with my current employer. He won't be viewed poorly by anyone with half a brain in that locker room. Hockey is a business and the players all know that. 

Yea he hasn't earned his spot on the team. He also isn't acting like he has. He is being calculated about where he wants to play. I don't understand anyone with your take to be honest. It is arrogant IMPO to say to someone else that they have to do something because they owe you that. 

I understand the CBA and what he's doing is perfectly within the rules.   However, the fact he didn't sign with NSH, a successful franchise with one of the most respected GM's in the league is a giant red flag.    I'm sure players will ask him about it, but I find it very very difficult to believe it was Poile's fault.     IMO, Vesey's camp flat out lied about what his intentions were in the Spring, and then lied to the media about what he told Poile.    That reeks, and the only logical reason for this is that he feels he's too good for them.

Are you saying he hasn't earned his spot on a team? There's a decent amount of demand for the guy, and it's because he earned it. Vesey was told by Nashville he'd be in the top 6 during the playoffs. He won't be viewed poorly for not "earning" a spot on a team. What a joke. 

Nope.   NSH told him he'd have a top-9 spot, not top-6.    Is that the reason he didn't sign?   If so, he's a bigger jerk than I thought.

This is nonsense. He has a right to play in the NHL because there are NHL teams who will be jumping over each other at the chance to sign him. Whether he turns out to be good or he busts has yet to be seen but he's earned his right to do exactly what he's doing by playing well enough at Harvard to have NHL teams lining up to talk with him. The NHLPA negotiated these terms with the league and put them in the CBA. As stated previously, he doesn't owe Buffalo anything at this point and Tim Murray knows this. If Murray took the same approach that you and others seem to be taking with him than he walk right out the door and sign with someone else. 

It's not his right as a rookie out of college to dictate to NHL franchises who he gets to play with.     He's essentially doing just that, and it flies in the face of all the league veterans who've had to earn their spot with the team that drafted them. 

He was wrong when he lied about his intentions to Poile in the spring, and wrong when he lied to the media about what was communicated to Poile.    Vesey is basically calling Poile a liar, and I don't believe it for one second.    Don't think that won't come back to bite him at some point in his career.   

Edited by pi2000

I think this thing is all being blown out of proportion because it happened during a slow part of the off-season, and was the first move the Sabres made. If he signs, he's a mature prospect, having just played 4 years of college, and should be an immediate help to the team.  If he doesn't sign, meh.  It was a third round pick.  That and a $4.45 will get you a grande mocha at Starbucks.  I don't see what the big deal is, especially since it wasn't our only 3rd rounder.

This whole thread reads like it was written by a bunch of middle school boys on a playground.

This.

Does your organization have Taco Tuesday, or is it on some other day?

I hope he signs with Buffalo.  I hope it happens today.  But I'm not going to get butthurt if he chooses to make a critical life decision with as much information as possible.

Nice post and gets to the heart of the matter.  Luckily  in the new Buffalo, we have Lloyd taco truck and restaurant. Got that covered. Tacos will come to you when you want them.

Nice about not getting butthurt also and not related Lloyd I know. Also nioce job changing that avatar quickly and welcome!

I disagree.   He a rooke FA out of college with no pro experience.    He's acting like he has a right to play in the NHL.    Players need to earn their right to be a UFA after years of service in the league.    If waits until 8/15, he's acting like he's already reached that point in his career, and it reflects poorly on his character, and he'll be viewed poorly in the locker room by guys who have had to actually earn their spot on the team.

He's in a different situation than most guys ever get to be and remember he is not an 18 year old kid. Now lets check what the others think your post.

This is just bull crap on your part. Actually your entire post is just awful

What a joke. 

This is nonsense.

Well I'm definitely getting a vibe about your post.  :w00t:

It's not his right as a rookie out of college to dictate to NHL franchises who he gets to play with. He's essentially doing just that, and it flies in the face of all the league veterans who've had to earn their spot with the team that drafted them.

It is explicity his right because of the language in the CBA. You can argue that the rule is messed up and I'd be incline to agree with that but he has every right to do it based on the rules, just like how a free agent (RFA or UFA) can choose to go to the KHL if they don't like the deal(s) offered in the NHL. If teams don't like it they can always draft someone else instead and avoid the risk. Who knows maybe this will lead to GMs becoming wary of NCAA players the way some are wary of Russians due to the KHL risk. Being that the vast majority of college players sign with their teams after ther junior years though I don't see it happening.

Calling pi's take on Vesey bull crap is an insult to bull crap. My favorite is his assertion that as a college player Vesey doesn't have the right to dictate to the NHL where he plays. That is precious in how utterly incorrect it is.

GO SABRES!!!

Nope.   NSH told him he'd have a top-9 spot, not top-6.    Is that the reason he didn't sign?   If so, he's a bigger jerk than I thought.

You've been corrected on this before and even acknowledged it. He was offered top-six minutes. Poile said it publicly.

GMTM also said Vesey said stop you don't have to sell me on the city. I love the city and have family there.

Was not aware of that which is another checkmark in our favor.

That was about Okposo, I believe.

Hmmm well that's also interesting. Play the tape! I think the goalie he's talking about who reneged is Montoya but that's a different story but a good one. He's giving good info as always.

It is explicity his right because of the language in the CBA. You can argue that the rule is messed up and I'd be incline to agree with that but he has every right to do it based on the rules, just like how a free agent (RFA or UFA) can choose to go to the KHL if they don't like the deal(s) offered in the NHL. If teams don't like it they can always draft someone else instead and avoid the risk. Who knows maybe this will lead to GMs becoming wary of NCAA players the way some are wary of Russians due to the KHL risk. Being that the vast majority of college players sign with their teams after ther junior years though I don't see it happening.

Yes, I understand that.    When I said "he doesn't have the right choose who he plays with", I'm literally talking about what players he wants to play on a line with... not which team.    He's a rookie, who does he think he is to dictate to NSH or BUF which line he plays on?    We're supposed to just bow down to his demands, because why?   GMTM should just tell him, look we rate you a high prospect but you have to earn your spot on the team and that starts with attending Dev camp and integrating yourself in the culture.  

I understand my opinion is not the most popular here, but nobody has addressed the fact that he either lied to Poile in the Spring about his intentions and then reneged, or he lied to the press about what he told Poile.   Poile is well respected, he has no history of jerking around prospects.   Vesey thinks he's so smart and can get away with these shenanigans with no repercussions.   I guarantee this comes back to bite him in the ass at some point.

Yes, I understand that. When I said "he doesn't have the right choose who he plays with", I'm literally talking about what players he wants to play on a line with... not which team. He's a rookie, who does he think he is to dictate to NSH or BUF which line he plays on? We're supposed to just bow down to his demands, because why? GMTM should just tell him, look we rate you a high prospect but you have to earn your spot on the team and that starts with attending Dev camp and integrating yourself in the culture.

I understand my opinion is not the most popular here, but nobody has addressed the fact that he either lied to Poile in the Spring about his intentions and then reneged, or he lied to the press about what he told Poile. Poile is well respected, he has no history of jerking around prospects. Vesey thinks he's so smart and can get away with these shenanigans with no repercussions. I guarantee this comes back to bite him in the ass at some point.

You bow to his demands because he's in control right now and if you don't sweet talk him he may sign elsewhere. The thing about it is though is that changes as soon as he signs. Teams can make all the promises they want to get him to sign but once he does that's it and whatever team will play him where they see fit.

We can promise him playing time with Eichel but if he struggles he'll get demoted to a lower line for sure. He'll have no choice but to accept it, play better, or whine and pout for 2 years and then he'll be free to sign an offer sheet elsewhere when his contract is up. At that point he'll no longer be limited in earning potential though and the number of interested teams will likely be smaller too.

Right now he's in control though because it's rare to be able to add a player of his caliber, talent, and age that is so cost controlled. The fact that he's limited in what he can earn means literally every team could use him regardless of their cap situation.

Edited by Drunkard

You bow to his demands because he's in control right now and if you don't sweet talk him he may sign elsewhere. The thing about it is though is that changes as soon as he signs. Teams can make all the promises they want to get him to sign but once he does that's it and whatever team will play him where they see fit.

We can promise him playing time with Eichel but if he struggles he'll get demoted to a lower line for sure. He'll have no choice but to accept it, play better, or hold out and then he'll be free to sign an offer sheet elsewhere when his contract is up.

Right now he's in control though because it's rare to be able to add a player of his caliber, talent, and age that is so cost controlled. The fact that he's limited in what he can earn means literally every team could use him regardless of their cap situation.

Understood, fair point.

Doesn't the fact that he lied to Poile bother you?   It's a sign of poor character and signals potential problems down the road with negotiations, playing time, etc...  Seems like a high maintenance guy which typically aren't received well in the locker room.... and being Jack's buddy, could have an impact on his development as well if he doesn't pan out.    Maybe I'm just overthinking this, I hope I'm wrong about him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.