Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

John Shannon: On Datsyuk contract,once terminated,he can not be traded,but cap hit remains. If the Wings are to trade PD,it would be before termination.

No mention of when this will occur.

So basically, if they don't trade it by free agency, they're out on Stamkos.

I'll be more pissed at any franchise that trades for his cap hit and allows the Wings to sign Stamkos. Looking at you Arizona

If Arizona, given all the crap floating around that franchise right now, tries to trade for his dead cap hit, the League should immediately void the trade and contract the franchise.

Related note: Nick Costonika tweeted a bit ago that Ken Holland is saying that Datsyuk signed his contract with no knowledge of rules regarding the penalty the team faces if he bolts early.  This is mind-blowing on so many levels... It definitely has to have been explained to him at some point,and he still doesn't care (nor, really, is he required to I suppose). No idea why Holland is trying to jump on that grenade for the guy, he tossed it himself in many respects. 

Per Ansar Khan

Ken Holland said he's not optimistic about trading Datsyuk contact but has spoken to teams. The price is high.

Continuing on this:

"Since we're giving up $15 or $16 million in dead cap dollars next season, we are going to give the kids a chance to make the team."

Sounds like Holland is pretty sold on the fact that they can't move the contract. I can't imagine there's more than two or three teams in the league that would even consider it, and if I'm those teams I don't accept anything except a first or Anthony Mantha for the contract.

Holland said it's "a hard no" if teams demand Mantha or a top prospect for Datsyuk.

Ken Holland also said Pavel informed him about a week into the three-year contract that he would only be playing two years of it.

Continuing on this:

"Since we're giving up $15 or $16 million in dead cap dollars next season, we are going to give the kids a chance to make the team."

Could next season be the Brock Lesnar to Detroit's Undertaker level consecutive playoffs streak? We'll see..

Anybody understand why Datsuyk can sign with the KHL.  I had thought that the KHL and the NHL had an agreement to honor each other's contracts.  As such I understand why Grigensons (if he wanted to) can sign in the KHL (His contract is up), but I don't understand why Datsuyk can.

Anybody understand why Datsuyk can sign with the KHL.  I had thought that the KHL and the NHL had an agreement to honor each other's contracts.  As such I understand why Grigensons (if he wanted to) can sign in the KHL (His contract is up), but I don't understand why Datsuyk can.

I believe the wings have or will be terminating his contract. The fact he has signed before that has occurred, well, Russia.