Around the NHL: 2016 Offseason

Hoss

It’s been just over a week since the San Jose Sharks were defeated by the Pittsburgh Penguins in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals and already Doug Wilson’s begun his offseason – acquiring Maxim Letunov from theArizona Coyotes.

Along with Letunov, the Sharks will receive a 2017 sixth-round pick in exchange for a 2016 fourth-rounder and a 2017 third-rounder, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.

The 20-year-old Russian was originally selected in the second round (52nd overall) by the St. Louis Blues in 2014.

http://thehockeywriters.com/sharks-acquire-maxim-letunov/

Edited by WildCard

Team USA falls backwards into a better player. Nice.

Also, Callahan is a nice example of the pitfalls of a longterm deal with a very good but not great player hitting 30.

It paves the way for Kessel that's for sure

Callahan out 5 months with hip surgery.

Team USA falls backwards into a better player. Nice.

Also, Callahan is a nice example of the pitfalls of a longterm deal with a very good but not great player hitting 30.

It paves the way for Kessel that's for sure

I forgot about that. Now I'm all pissed off again. How stupid can they be?

Vegas got a team...

Yes but my point is the one year guys want to decide where they go next off season. Not sign a two year deal and be plucked by Vegas. No Las. Probably willing to say give me one year then give me two ufa or another one etc.

Personally I'm happy Vegas got a team. It will be interesting and I hope it works long term. We'll see. Roadie! Direct flight on Southwest from BUF? Ya I think there's some interest there. I'm sure there will be interest on guys that want to play there also but I think the guys near the end of the line like Soupy lets say, I don't think he want any part of ending his career on an expansion team and cant say I blame him. He's earned that. As opposed to someone like E Kane he may very well just say hellll ya!

I think there will be several two-year deals that would normally be one year. There is a surprising number of teams who are currently non-compliant with the expansion rules. That and certain vets know this could be their only chance of guaranteeing an NHL paycheck for more than one additional season.

Now teams also understand these players they give two-year deals are highly unlikely to get taken in the expansion draft because Vegas isn't going to be poaching David Legwand-types for every spot in their lineup. Non-compliance penalties sound like they will be severe.

Edited by Hoss

#NHL announces its All-Rookie Team:

F Connor McDavid F Artemi Panarin, F Jack Eichel, D Shayne Gostisbehere , D Colton Parayko , G John Gibson

Good stuff. Looks like Jack did indeed finish 4th in Calder voting ahead of guys like Domi and Larkin.