Calder Trophy

DirtDart

I find the McDavid selection the hardest to justify. He missed a good portion of the season, and therefore was rested when he returned. If Eichel had that time off to recover, perhaps his points per game would have been higher. They shouldn't reward someone based on potential. Eichel played the whole season and should have been recognized for what he actually did.

Not the right selections. McDavid only played 45 games. The award isn't for best player, it's for best season. Other players, notably Jack, accomplished more this season than McDavid did, and had a greater positive impact on their team(s).

Health is a component of a successful season. Where do you draw the line? McDavid only played half. Eichel had the better season.

I'm more annoyed by Artemi Panarin than McDavid. At least McDavid put up his numbers on a bad team as a real rookie. Panarin is what, 24? And played like 7 seasons in the KHL first? Not to mention playing with one of the best offensive players in the league. I don't get how he can qualify against 18-20 year olds. But then I read at one point some guy won it at 30 who had played in Russia for all of his 20s.

I think they should limit it to anyone with fewer than 2-3 seasons professionally in any league. AHL, KHL, whatever. Otherwise why bother with a rookie reward at all? 

This is a comparable situation to the Cuban players like Abreu (Chicago White Sox) at age 27 and having a powerful season and winning the ROY.  It happens.  I won't even bother to get upset by it.  It is what it is.

Yup.  it is what it is.

ROY is nice for bragging rights.  That's about it.  I think the best rooks in terms of skill displayed in their rookie year are probably the 3 that are the finalists.  Jack had a really solid season.  It doesn't bother me that Panarin qualifies, McD was better for fewer games, and that Ghost was more valuable to his teams' success.

Highly doubt this even bothers Eichel. If anything I hope this motivates him play even better. Eichel has already shown one of the reasons he's played great throughout his entire hockey career is being given the idea he's not number 1. 

I'm more annoyed by Artemi Panarin than McDavid. At least McDavid put up his numbers on a bad team as a real rookie. Panarin is what, 24? And played like 7 seasons in the KHL first? Not to mention playing with one of the best offensive players in the league. I don't get how he can qualify against 18-20 year olds. But then I read at one point some guy won it at 30 who had played in Russia for all of his 20s.

I think they should limit it to anyone with fewer than 2-3 seasons professionally in any league. AHL, KHL, whatever. Otherwise why bother with a rookie reward at all?

Some guy was Sergei Makarov who won it at 31 in 1990 and they changed the rules so no one over 26 could win. Not sure why it's even that old...

Calder Winners since 2006: None of them are over the age of 21 btw.

Ovechkin - 06

Malkin- 07

Kane - 08

Mason - 09

Myers - 10

Skinner - 11

Landeskog - 12 

Huberdeau - 13

MacKinnon - 14

Ekblad - 15

Edited by LGR4GM

I'm fine with the lack of Eichel getting a nomination. It's the NHL rookie of the year. Every first-year full time player is eligible. Age has nothing to do with it. Panarin had far and away the best season and Gostisbehere was the best defenceman and helped the Flyers (who were looking at a top-8 pick) into the playoffs. And from a coast-to-coast perspective, McDavid's numbers were off the charts and everyone would still pick him #1 overall if the draft occurred today. This isn't a snub.

Eichel, Larkin, Domi, and Reinhart all had great seasons, but they weren't the first-year NHLers that stood out to everyone.

Not having Eichel in top 3 doesnt pass the smell test. Put out all the justifications you want... the is a bunch of BS. Again NhL is an amateur organization overseen by a bean headed little prick who doesnt no jack squat about PR and promoting things... Laughable

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.