Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

Martin St.Louis was an undrafted player.

Well I do belive the hype machine should calm down, we shouldn't dismiss Fasching based on where he was drafted.

I'm not dismissing him.  I'm not claiming he's a Vanek level talent either.  It seems he's better than a typical 4th rd pick.  I sure hope so.  We gave up an NHL ready player to get him.  We need wingers for our awesome centers.  Hopefully he's up to it.

He reminds me of a bigger Thomas Vanek...and not just because he comes from the Gophers.

Have you seen him at all? I'm not trying to be a smart ass as it comes naturally. I certainly am not trying to hype train him. But in the games that I have seen of him, he shows a dog chasing a bone mentality that Vanek could never possess. At the same time he will never imo be a gifted goal scorer like TV is capable of.

Of course we really know nothing of what he will become but I'm happy to have him and expect him to add a lot to the team for a long time.

Got to believe part of the agreement to sign was a stint in Buffalo.  9 games in Buffalo at $975K is approximately $100k for the kid.  That would get me to sign on the line which is dotted.

I have seen him play 8 or 9 games and another ten or so on the Bigten network. He is similar in style to Rick Nash though I am not saying he is Rick Nash. Definitely a big body with deceptive skating ability. Good not great shot but scores in close. Downside is he was often just physically bigger than his college competition. I'm anxious to see how he transitions. He can play with talented players and can bang when necessary. I still think he is in Rochester to start next year.

It's great we will be able to see Fasching over the last nine games. That said, I am not looking forward to DD relegating him to a fourth line role while he "earns" it behind the vets. Phuck that. Put him next to Jack, throw him to the wolves, and see what he needs to work on while being surrounded by our best talent.

Welcome to Buffalo, Hudson.

GO SABRES!!!

It seems pretty much standard procedure for teams to do this with college prospects, so I'm not surprised at all. I saw a few people (on twitter, mostly) worried about burning a year of his ELC in a meaningless season, and it got me thinking... couldn't that actually be a good thing in terms of negotiating for his next contract? Like, barring a dominant performance, won't he have less on his resume when it comes time to negotiate his next contract?

He'll get his feet wet this year, but next year will still be a learning/adjustment period as his rookie season. You can't expect the world from a rookie (although we've been spoiled this season). Maybe the final year of his ELC is a "breakout" type of season. So his "resume" might look something like...

15-16: 8 games, 2 points

16-17: ~70 games, 20 points

17-18: 82 games, 35 points

as opposed to

16-17: ~70 games, 20 points

17-18: 82 games, 35 points

18-19: 82 games, 45 points

Don't nitpick on the numbers too much please, I don't know what to expect from Fasching so these are really just for the example. Basically I'm saying this year will be too small of a sample size to really use it as leverage during negotiations, so could this end up being the difference between a 3-4 mil bridge deal as opposed to a 6 mil long term deal? Might be something to think about. 

He has nowhere near Draisaitl's hands or playmaking ability. Draisaitl has first-line to elite skill. Hudson is middle six.

He does have a similar body and strength on the puck.

Unlike Draisaitl, he will rarely make a pass that isn't safe or obvious — with all the pluses and minuses that implies — or beat someone with his stickhandling. He will hound the puck better and seems faster.

I do think he would be a good fit for the type of game Bylsma preaches — safe, disciplined, structured, attack with speed.

He's a 20-year-old 4th-rounder who should have been a second-rounder.

He didn't make the top 75 in Hockey News Future Watch this year and barely made it the two previous years.

He's a similar prospect to Bailey, in that he could be a middle-six forward but could just as easily fail entirely.

I like him a lot, but let's keep things in perspective.

He has nowhere near Draisaitl's hands or playmaking ability. Draisaitl has first-line to elite skill. Hudson is middle six.

He does have a similar body and strength on the puck.

Unlike Draisaitl, he will rarely make a pass that isn't safe or obvious — with all the pluses and minuses that implies — or beat someone with his stickhandling. He will hound the puck better and seems faster.

I do think he would be a good fit for the type of game Bylsma preaches — safe, disciplined, structured, attack with speed.

He's a 20-year-old 4th-rounder who should have been a second-rounder.

He didn't make the top 75 in Hockey News Future Watch this year and barely made it the two previous years.

He's a similar prospect to Bailey, in that he could be a middle-six forward but could just as easily fail entirely.

I like him a lot, but let's keep things in perspective.

Great post, thanks for that

Can someone please post the GWAR gif again?

That's how I feel right now.

I think the worst case scenario (aside from busting entirely) is a Marcus Foligno/LA KIng depth type — a big body who really works the wall well and is generally a good soldier. The thing he has over Foligno is he seems to be a much better skater: smoother and faster. He played with Larkin in the WJC and kept up just fine. The two were puck pressure and puck possession demons and Fasching caught a lot of guys on the backcheck. He seems to be really good at carrying the puck to the net from the corners and he frequently scores from in tight. He played the PP and worked the first line in college but I'm not sure if the hands will translate to NHL speed. Doesn't hit like Foligno when he's on, though, or have that nasty edge.

Upside is a guy who can slot anywhere in top nine - as part of a shutdown unit, or the cornerman and conscience on an offensive line.

Thanks

Kane-O'Reilly-Fasching

*UFA*-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Girgensons-Bailey

Deslauriers-Larsson-Gionta (Probably not what Larsson wants)

Trade: Tyler Ennis, 

Bought out likely: Matt Moulson

That's a healthy top six.  We can see it improved, but I like the looks of it IMO.  Bailey has some raw raw tools.  I was at the Providence Bruins game on Sunday and he skates well, but he still has to be much more consistent.  He has all the tools to be a quality forward.   Definitely excited to see him play against Winnipeg.  A big heavy team. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

Kane-O'Reilly-Fasching

*UFA*-Eichel-Reinhart

Foligno-Girgensons-Bailey

Deslauriers-Larsson-Gionta (Probably not what Larsson wants)

Trade: Tyler Ennis, 

Bought out likely: Matt Moulson

That's a healthy top six.  We can see it improved, but I like the looks of it IMO.  Bailey has some raw raw tools.  I was at the Providence Bruins game on Sunday and he skates well, but he still has to be much more consistent.  He has all the tools to be a quality forward.   Definitely excited to see him play against Winnipeg.  A big heavy team. 

Okposo would look great in that UFA spot, better yet Stamkos. I would settle with okposo

Gionta may not have a RW spot next year if Bailey and Fasching take the next steps.

The typical NHL move is to have Gionta play out his last year on the contract and have Bailey/Fasching as the 2-way players for roster flexibility.  I would bet that is a much more likely scenario.  In addition, Carrier has been lighting it up in Rochester and will also warrant a look.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.